Thread: Background tone? Drone? Resonance?

Default Background tone? Drone? Resonance?

I have no idea how to explain sounds in a realistic fashion, but my KM272 round hole has a sort of resonant drone sound that is ALWAYS there when I pick. I thought maybe the strings behind the bridge needed dampening but that doesn't seem to do anything for it. It's so hard to describe... I LOVE the tone of this mandolin and the drone sound isn't horrible, but I'm wondering if there is a name for this and a way to stop it?

The best way I can describe this is a set of bagpipes. You have the individual notes, but you also have that drone sound coming from the chanter. It's kind of like that. Not really resonance per say, or reverb, just kind of a drone note that you hear behind the real notes?
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Default Re: Background tone? Drone? Resonance?

I'm no expert, but could this be the top itself resonating at a certain pitch in response to a certain note or open string being played. Is it a carved top? Do you notice the drone coming in when a certain note is played? I don't know if I'm on the right track - it would be interesting to hear an authoritative word from someone who knows more.
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tmcmakin View Post
    I have no idea how to explain sounds in a realistic fashion, but my KM272 round hole has a sort of resonant drone sound that is ALWAYS there when I pick. I thought maybe the strings behind the bridge needed dampening but that doesn't seem to do anything for it. It's so hard to describe... I LOVE the tone of this mandolin and the drone sound isn't horrible, but I'm wondering if there is a name for this and a way to stop it?
    Is that a wolf tone? https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...505-Wolf-tones
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I would start by removing any thing removable, tail-piece cover ect... Then use a piece of leather or something to mute the strings behind the bridge and nut. I hope you find the source, I know it can be annoying when mysterious noises happen.

The sound could be the open unused strings vibrating sympathetically. While playing on the A or E strings, try lightly touching the bass courses with the fleshy part of your picking hand (the part at the base of your thumb) just in front of the bridge. I find I have to do that on my banjolin to cut down on extraneous sounds. Electric guitar players often have to mute the unused strings while playing.

===========

I made a similar reference to this strange phenomenon in a KM272 review, several months ago . . . but my experience sounded very much like reverb:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...entucky-KM-272

Strum hard, then damp the strings with your hand somewhere on the neck. If you can still hear a resonance, its the strings behind the nut.