Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin arm rests

Default Mandolin arm rests

I just received three arm rests from Hill Country Stringworks. What a wonderful addition to my mandolins! I also use arm rests for my guitars (Pierce) and love the way those feel as well. I have to give a big shout-out to Hill Country Stringworks for these arm guards. Just a fabulous product and those folks are really easy to order from and work with.
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tmcmakin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolin arm rests

Good to hear -- I've been thinking about getting an armrest myself, and I've heard nothing but good things about the armrests you mention.

Out of curiosity, though, what do people think of the Cumberland Acoustic armrests? The McClungs seem to be out of stock when I look at the website, at least as far as I can tell, while the Cumberlands seem to be readily available.

4. The following members say thank you to Miltown for this post:

I got my McClung armrest yesterday from Doug at Hill Country and my playing has improved 25% overnight! Beautiful items with handmade quality all over them.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

6. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

I have received a couple of McClung armrests from Hill Country in the last month or so. Beautiful work, and top notch service and attention from Doug. I am very pleased with them!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

If you are looking for a good arm rest, Cafe member soliver does custom work for a very fair price. I'm very happy with the olive wood rest he made me.

9. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

FYI, it looks like I’m still making McClungs. So far everything I’m making is sold before it can be posted on the website. I’m unable to provide custom stuff at this time. When the weather clears up I’ll be painting the house and we have a few trips planned this year. The website will show what’s available when I get caught up.
    Thanks

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Miltown View Post
    Good to hear -- I've been thinking about getting an armrest myself, and I've heard nothing but good things about the armrests you mention.

Out of curiosity, though, what do people think of the Cumberland Acoustic armrests? The McClungs seem to be out of stock when I look at the website, at least as far as I can tell, while the Cumberlands seem to be readily available.
    I added a Cumberland Acoustic armrest to mine a couple weeks ago. It looks ok, but they seem really small compared to all the others. I don't think its made any difference other than changing the look of the Mandolin. I think I'd prefer a larger armrest if I were to do it again.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerseyPicker For This Useful Post:

I absolutely love my McClung armrests and custom TRC from Hill Country. Doug does an awesome job, obviously why they are now hard to get. But to Doug: I am on the hunt for another mandolin so I am hoping you get your painting and traveling done and get back to making arm rests!

I asked Doug for a curly maple McClung, unfinished, as I am Bruce Weber build me a new two point and I will have them finish it to match the two point. I have had a ebony McClung on my Yellowstone for 7 years now and I love it.

Got a Cumberland arm rest too, and I thought, "wow, these are really small." Added felt underneath for better clamp adjustment - its low end would not tighten down otherwise.

Might be just me: that edge presses on the arm, and more so in different playing positions. After a while the thumb goes numb. Would like it better if the arm rest was had a more gentle edge and more length. It sure is 'twinkie sized' in comparison to the McClung photos.

Edit: When looking at the McClung, there is more surface to support one's forearm, which widens towards the down-side. This may be a better option for arm support.
    - The Cumberland armrest has such a minimal forearm resting area.
    - I got into mandolins too late to get a Mahogany armrest ... /le sigh

McClung

Cumberland

However, they did make one out of Mahogany for me, which accented the Weber Y2K6.
    Last edited by James Miller; Mar-01-2018 at 1:38pm.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

17. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Added felt underneath for better clamp adjustment - its low end would not tighten down otherwise.
    Most armrests use chin rest clamps spaced for archtop mandolins, not flat tops. This is why Doug at HCS asks for the rim width when ordering. I'm sure Steve could have made the same adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Edit: When looking at the McClung, there is more surface to support one's forearm, which widens towards the down-side. This may be a better option for arm support.
    The angled slope of the McClung is the point of the thing and why they are so popular with a certain subset of pickers. It puts the forearm in a preferred position compared to those that seem to be mostly for protecting the top.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Yep, I just got a Cumberland armrest, and it's definitely designed to protect the top of your instrument, and not so much to lift your arm very far off of the mandolin's body. Excellent for what it's designed for, but it definitely seems to have a different function than the McClung.

I'm glad I have the Cumberland, but I still want to try a McClung. I'd try to make an armrest myself, but I'm a strong proponent of the division of labor -- that, and I'm pretty much incompetent with any and all tools.

I have a McClung on both of my good mandolins, and I absolutely love them.
    Beautiful wood, beautifully finished, awesome shape, awesome function, and they just feel great under the arm.
    I recommend them to anyone who needs an armrest.
    I have had ones from two other sources, and they don’t come close.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

i have and love McClung armrests on both of my mandolins. Not sure why others are using them, but I was having forearm pain and tingling in my right hand that was making it hard to play. I began to wonder if the sharp edge where my arm rested on the mandolin top was the cause of my problems. Who knows for sure, but the symptoms went away within a couple of weeks of adding armrests. I have been pain/tingling free for 2 years!
    Russ Jordan

Thank you for your post Doug. I’ll keep checking your site with my fingers crossed :-)

I just ordered two mahogany arm rest from Doug, thinking about also getting an ebony one with a fish, with the cross in it if he has any in stock. the McClung is the BEST arm rest design out there. I sure hope Doug has a son or a grandson to take over for him when he decides to just hang it up & retire. which would be a great lost for all of us to lose such a Great craftsman.

plain ebony on the way with the two mahogany's. he has no inlay fish in stock.

Was on there last night and dd not see any mahogany arm rests for sale. :\

James go old school & pick up the phone & call him.

Okay, when I get a day off. Don't think he'd like me calling at midnight.
    It's a quirk that I'm up now. Noisy video card fan woke me up.

Email works well with Mr. Edwards too. I’ve corresponded with him on multiple occasions, always a great experience. He may also be traveling if you don’t see a quick reply. In any case, the outcome has always been well worth the nominal wait. I have multiple McClungs and got a pick box this year too. Can’t begin to describe how awesome that little pick box is. Hill Country rocks! Chris Reily
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

30. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Thanks for the awesome support! But I need a time out. This thread has overwhelmed me and I need time to process what I have from February. I’ve pretty much sold everything I’m working on and created a back order on future armrests. I’m currently not answering the phone but you can leave a message. I’ve not had much time to get to all the emails but will eventually.
    Thanks

32. The following members say thank you to Doug Edwards for this post:

Blog Entries

I ordered a Cumberland armrest for my A style. I got it in Rosewood with chrome. These are smaller, true, but very comfortable and produce the same result. I have used one in the past. The Hill Country Stringworks armrests are beautiful and I hope that in the future I will get the opportunity to order one when they have a chance to catch up with the demand.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Steve Smith sent my Cumberland arm rest literally overnight. It arrived and it was beautifully made. Fits perfectly and looks great. These are smaller than the McClung, but they serve their purpose. They do not become a major feature but lift my arm off of the surface of the mandolin to free my wrist movement for relaxed picking. I like the rosewood and the finish is impeccable.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I have McClungs on 4 of my mando family instruments and an extra ebony one sitting in a drawer. Guess I need to buy another mandolin to put it to its intended use. Thanks Doug for your great product.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

36. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post: