Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

Slipped Disc, our favorite (and most diverse) music blog has picked up this story, is spreading it around social media, and has linked to us. Great readership there so this issue just got some serious new legs.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Broken record here!

Ever since I made my acquaintance with Mapes Strings my string issues are handled. I buy from the manufacturer only what I need.

The fraud, deceit, malfeasance, lying and cheating that's attempted through amazon is shameful and would be best prosecuted in every venue available.

Thanks to everyone on that mission.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

4. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

dont they have an online portal or will they post them to you ?

Wow, I regularly buy D'Addario strings from Amazon as well, though for my Ibanez Mikro short-scale electric guitar instead. I never looked at the packaging in detail like you did. Seems like I'll have to grab all sets in future either from the local stores or from dedicated musical instruments-specific e-commerce sites like Sweet Water or Musicians' Friend.

I buy a ton of stuff off Amazon, including most of my strings, and generally have good luck. But this thread has inspired me to go back to using my local shop[s] for strings. Back before I was spoiled with buying everything online, this was just normal life. It won't kill me to do it again.

8. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by whitzmusic View Post
    Wow, I regularly buy D'Addario strings from Amazon as well, though for my Ibanez Mikro short-scale electric guitar instead. I never looked at the packaging in detail like you did. Seems like I'll have to grab all sets in future either from the local stores or from dedicated musical instruments-specific e-commerce sites like Sweet Water or Musicians' Friend.
    Man you guys like to spend money. My $35.11 from the first page of this thread becomes $54.45 at MF without the Aquila 30U, which they don't carry. I thought maybe I could find them at Sweetwater, where I have bought EJ74s as an add-on to an order, but they don't carry any of the strings that came in the mail yesterday. I may be at risk of sounding like a shill but the companies that advertise here on the Cafe are the real deal for more than just properly set-up mandos.

My only nearby source for strings is GC so I will send a hearty kudos to anyone shopping at local shops regardless of markup.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

10. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

mzurer 

Anyone know if this is happening through other websites? I am expecting a couple packs of J74's from Musicians Friend. Are any other brand being counterfeited? I also ordered Martin Marquis guitar strings.

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    ... Are any other brand being counterfeited?
    I would think that just about any popular item that sells quickly, is theoretically subject to being counterfeited.

I've even heard of counterfeit USB cables, counterfeit guitar cords, counterfeit vitamins/minerals, just everyday items, not even high-priced stuff, anything for scammers to make some quick cash.

Amazon raked in $5.6 Billion dollars last year;but,paid $0(zero) dollars in federal taxes.
    I'm not smart enough to figure out how that can happen. You'd think they could at least pay tax like everybody else!?
    Adding insult to injury,Amazon is being offered ridiculous tax breaks in the areas where they are considering opening their next big location.
    I may be off on the fine details about all this tax stuff;but,if there is any way I can avoid doing business with Amazon(WallyWorld too) I will certainly do so.
    Over the years I have become a string snob when it comes to steel strings. I only use D'Addario's.
    Also,whenever possible(almost always)I get strings from Elderly. Have bought some great instruments from Elderly too(incl.1923 snakehead). Always great service and products from them for about 25 years personal experience.
    Thankfully,as mentioned in this thread,there are other reputable stores with which to do business as well.
    Time for my mando-therapy session.
    Happy pickin',everybody!

14. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Blog Entries

amazon is back in the news in a big way. One thing to have the relatively small Mandolin Cafe complaining about this but now its hitting massive sites like CNet. amazon's spokesman does a fine job of spinning a story that is ridiculously hard to believe.

Amazon's Jeff Bezos called out on counterfeit products problem

16. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I was just coming to post this

The problem is obviously bigger than just the string world.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I tagged amazon last night on Facebook and Twitter and called them out for selling counterfeit strings. Doubt it'll do any good but better than taking no action.

Really, the best thing that can be done short of forcing them into action is the proper titling of this thread.

Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

That's not a title you want in your Google search results.
    MandolinCafe admin is very brave to 'out' Amazon like that. I hope the past week's server issues were not something like a DDoS attack, done for purposes of revenge by any of the numerous possible parties in the chain who stood to be adversely affected if the counterfeit scam was exposed... Although I suppose if it was a DDoS, maybe best to not admit to it (not provide info that could be used for fine-tuning future attacks).

Amazon wouldn't even bother with a DDoS attack, they don't work that way even in anyone's dreams. The Cafe issues were totally explainable and due in part to the previous weeks hardware issues. The fault lies plainly with the hosting company and an error they made that was silly but understandable when dealing with people in this business. The people importing counterfeit goods would never expose their operation with something this petty. They really want to fly beneath the radar and if they aren't selling counterfeit strings will find something else to import and sell. Amazon's part in this is simply offering a marketplace that can be exploited not unlike eBay or any other shared marketplace.

Scott's last message about the problem
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ... The Cafe issues were totally explainable and due in part to the previous weeks hardware issues. ...
    Ok, good to know. Thanks.

I was back in DC this past week and saw this story on the local news about a newly released GAO report on counterfeit online products.

https://www.today.com/video/amazon-a...-1172557379993

Not only is it a bigger problem than strings, it looks like it's a bigger problem than just Amazon. The story calls out Walmart.com, eBay, and others as well.

eBay is the biggest offender. Amazon, does seem to jump on it once they are aware... Walmart is just starting to open the flood gates to third parties as is other big companies.

Any place that allows third party sellers (without heavy vetting) is going to have ongoing problems. There is just to much money at stake for the criminal element not to take advantage.

It will only get more chaotic. More and more businesses will have to jump on the third party bandwagon to compete. Kmart started now.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

So to close out the story, Amazon did, sort of, make good on their promise to replace the items they originally sent. If you recall, on 2/21, their customer service rep promised to overnight me a package of real EJ16 strings - which were what I needed at that time. He also agreed to replace the two packages of J74 mandolin strings that I had ordered with the guitar strings.

That was acceptable.

In the meantime, my original order (guitar and mandolin strings) were packaged up and shipped back to Amazon.

Next day - at end of day - a package arrives with one set of J74 mandolin strings. No guitar strings (counterfeit or otherwise) and one set short of mandolin strings. Remember, it was the need for guitar strings that set this adventure off to start with.

Another call to Amazon. Another very frustrating conversation. They assure me that all the items were shipped and don't understand why I am upset,and don't understand why I haven't received everything I was promised. In exasperation, the customer service rep removes the charge for the replacement items.

At this point I have one set of J74 strings in my possession.

Next day, at end of the day, another package arrives - this time with one set of J74 strings and another counterfeit package of EJ16s.

This morning I finally received word that the original order I had returned was received by Amazon and credited to my account. Once my credit card is made whole for this entire bloody transaction, I intend to order EJ16s from Just Strings...

A painful and unnecessary lesson learned.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Donahue For This Useful Post:

I have been purchasing strings through Just Strings for years now. PERFECT service each and every time. The CORRECT order each and every time. And if there is ever a backorder on single strings that I need from time to time, the strings arrive quickly and with no extra shipping charge. In other words PERFECT SERVICE and complete satisfaction every time I deal with them.

You can't get better than perfect...

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Just Strings is great, and I like that they go the extra mile to throw in some freebies like picks here and there. Not many companies do that.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seter For This Useful Post:

My string supplier of choice is stringsandbeyond.com. Pricing is better than Amazon, free shipping if you buy $35 or more. Excellent customer service.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Thank god I have multiple local shops with all the guitar and mando strings I like. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Just Strings is great, and I like that they go the extra mile to throw in some freebies like picks here and there. Not many companies do that.
    Yes, but you pay for those "freebies" of cheap picks and a couple pieces of candy with higher prices:

3 sets of J74's at Strings & Beyond - $23.22 total (including shipping)
    3 sets of J74's at Just Strings .com - $26.54 total (including shipping)

Plus, with Strings and Beyond, orders over $35 are shipped free. Not so with JS. They offer no free shipping on anything that I have found. Which leaves you with:

6 sets of J74's at Strings & Beyond - $36.54 total (including shipping)
    6 sets of J74's at Just Strings .com - $46.13 total (including shipping)

Which saves you almost $10 on your order. BTW, I've had good experiences with both companies.

Having said that, order from whom you like the most. Saving money isn't everything.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Yeah, but Just Strings is a sponsor of this wonderful website...I purchase my strings from them and also thank them for supporting the Cafe when I order.

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Yes, but you pay for those "freebies" of cheap picks and a couple pieces of candy with higher prices:

3 sets of J74's at Strings & Beyond - $23.22 total (including shipping)
    3 sets of J74's at Just Strings .com - $26.54 total (including shipping)

Plus, with Strings and Beyond, orders over $35 are shipped free. Not so with JS. They offer no free shipping on anything that I have found. Which leaves you with:

6 sets of J74's at Strings & Beyond - $36.54 total (including shipping)
    6 sets of J74's at Just Strings .com - $46.13 total (including shipping)

Which saves you almost $10 on your order. BTW, I've had good experiences with both companies.

Having said that, order from whom you like the most. Saving money isn't everything.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

Chris,
    Good points and i too have used both. Location is also an issue. I'm in Vermont ... Just Strings is just over in New Hampshire. If i order in the morning my order is here with the next day's mail.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Another good point Jim ... Thanks,
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary