Thread: Removing a K&K Twin Spot

Default Removing a K&K Twin Spot

Hi All,

has anyone ever removed a K&K Twin Spot from an F Style mandolin? I think the transducers are superglued. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Removing a K&K Twin Spot

I have used a soundpost setter, and modified the larger part to be sharp, to wedge in under the pickup. You can bend the setter to get it to just the right position, but be gentle, or you may break the pickup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have used a soundpost setter, and modified the larger part to be sharp, to wedge in under the pickup. You can bend the setter to get it to just the right position, but be gentle, or you may break the pickup.
    You could also crack the soundboard prying against it. I would make a very thin, flexible blade and carefully work it between the transducers and soundboard. I personally wouldn't remove it unless there was a compelling reason.

Acetone releases superglue pretty well. The tricky part would be figuring out how to deliver it where it needs to go.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I wouldn't recommend any solvent. Even if you don't manage to spill it onto the finish, if you get enough onto the pickup spot to get the glue to soften, that could be enough to wick through the wood and damage the finish from the bottom. If you're planning to move the pickup to another instrument, I'd just buy a new one. They're not that expensive. Far less than repairing damage to the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    You could also crack the soundboard prying against it. I would make a very thin, flexible blade and carefully work it between the transducers and soundboard. I personally wouldn't remove it unless there was a compelling reason.
    Bart is correct, don't pry against it, but instead slide it in and let the tool do the work. I have successfully removed pickups from a dozen mandolins, at least, when I was experimenting with K&K.

Dale is also correct, they are not that expensive and someone might like it that there is a pickup in the mandolin. It won't hurt the sound to leave it there.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!