Thread: Torn between two mandolas

Default Torn between two mandolas

Hi All, fairly new to this area so please be gentle. I am torn between a Girouad studio mandola and a Collings Mt. I play mostly classical so dont necessarily need a bark, but rather a mellowish tone. I know both are superb mandolas, just dont want to pay the extra for the Collings unless I really need to. But of course will always pay up for the instrument which best suits my needs. I know youre going to say “Go and try them both” and I will but before I embark on a long journey it would be good to hear some more experienced views.Thanks

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Default Re: Torn between two mandolas

Well I am a big fan of my Girouard mandolin, and though I haven't played one of their mandolas myself, the recordings I've heard sound fantastic. I've played a couple of Collings mandolas and didn't particularly care for them, but it was mainly the chunky necks that I didn't like. How the two instruments feel to your hand will certainly be something you can't judge without playing them.

One immediate question: do the two instruments have the same scale length? I believe Girouard has made both 15.9" mandolas as well as 17". This would make a difference in suitable string gauges, tone, and feel. I suspect the longer scale length would give you a sound more towards your preferences, but of course many factors come in to play.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

I auditioned a few mandolas at Elderly. I found the Collings (there was an MT and an MT2 - 2 of one and 1 of the other when I was there) to be too bright for me. Not sure if the brightness could have been toned down with different strings or a different pick or whatnot. But, on it's own... though each sounded fantastic, they were too bright for what I wanted. I haven't run into a Girouard for a comparison. I went home with another that had a more mellow tone and felt better in my hands. I've gone back since and continue to have the same impression of the Collings - beautiful, but not for me.

Thanks for that useful reply. Both this particular Girouad and Collings come with 15.9 scale length. I know I will have to feel and hear the instruments when I can arrange a journey and hotel. Great reply thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I auditioned a few mandolas at Elderly. I found the Collings (there was an MT and an MT2 - 2 of one and 1 of the other when I was there) to be too bright for me. Not sure if the brightness could have been toned down with different strings or a different pick or whatnot. But, on it's own... though each sounded fantastic, they were too bright for what I wanted. I haven't run into a Girouard for a comparison. I went home with another that had a more mellow tone and felt better in my hands. I've gone back since and continue to have the same impression of the Collings - beautiful, but not for me.
    What Mandola did you choose in the end?

Only played mandolins, never a mandola but I have played Girouard and Collings mandolins and to my ear all the Girouards I played were what my ear liked the best !

Blog Entries

My Collings mandola with Thomastik strings is as warm as anything I've ever played.
    I think Girouard makes some fine instruments and I'd be very happy with one of them too.
    One suggestion is to have, if at all possible, Thomastik strings on each of the instruments when you compare them.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I own a Girouard mandola and it is a fantastic instrument. It sounds great with Thomastik strings and Curt Mangan phosphorous bronze strings, which Max recommends. Mine has a cedar top with maple back and sides and it meets or exceeds all of the positive adjectives used on this site to describe sound, or so I think.

There is a simple solution, just let the rent go for a couple months and buy both.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too many variables. I played an Engleman topped Collings mandola a while back that sounded wonderful! I use a TAD60 pick, FWIW. I expect an Adirondack instrument would sound brighter.

I had a Collings MT2 mandola. I now own a Girouard mandola. Tonally, it's got full rich tone from the open C strings to up the neck on the A strings. Playability: hands down the Girouard is the winner. Narrower nut width and slimmer neck profile make it so much easier for me to play than the Collings. You really can't go wrong with a Girouard mandola--Max and Lauri are making great instruments these days.

A sample of my Girouard mandola.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

13. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I had a Collings MT2 mandola. I now own a Girouard mandola. Tonally, it's got full rich tone from the open C strings to up the neck on the A strings. Playability: hands down the Girouard is the winner. Narrower nut width and slimmer neck profile make it so much easier for me to play than the Collings. You really can't go wrong with a Girouard mandola--Max and Lauri are making great instruments these days.

A sample of my Girouard mandola.
    Thanks for this and the video (I’d already picked the. Video off u tube) seem to be heading down the Giouad route folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafgog View Post
    What Mandola did you choose in the end?
    One made my Peter Coombe. It managed to fit my hands just right and produced the tone I was looking for.

I've been back a few times since. There was an amazing Vega lute mandola there for a bit. Was hard not to "accidentally" come home with it. Elderly's a great place to go if you can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    One made my Peter Coombe. It managed to fit my hands just right and produced the tone I was looking for.

I've been back a few times since. There was an amazing Vega lute mandola there for a bit. Was hard not to "accidentally" come home with it. Elderly's a great place to go if you can get there.
    Wish I could but living in Wales it seems very unlikely. Perhaps a visit to TAMCO in Brighton England may be on the cards.

A final consideration folks. F style or oval hole for that mellow sound?

Oval !

I absolutely love my Girouard mandola.

I've played both a Collings and Girouard. I prefer the sound and playability of my Girouard. From your description in your original post, it sounds like that would be perfect fit for you. The expressiveness of tone and the sustain really makes it a joy to play.

And Max and Laurie are great folks, and great to get to know.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    I absolutely love my Girouard mandola.

I've played both a Collings and Girouard. I prefer the sound and playability of my Girouard. From your description in your original post, it sounds like that would be perfect fit for you. The expressiveness of tone and the sustain really makes it a joy to play.

And Max and Laurie are great folks, and great to get to know.
    Think my mind is made up.Thanks

21. The following members say thank you to Dafgog for this post:

+1 from an extremely happy Girourad owner. My Collings is super nice but my Girourd is extra special.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

23. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Dafgog