Thread: Bouzouki Bridge Question

Default Bouzouki Bridge Question

Hello,

A while ago I was changing strings on my Bouzouki and managed to snap one of the feet off the bridge (it was not on the instrument at the time!!).
    Anyway, I evened up the bridge on the opposite side but it has left me with a much shorter bridge..I know this will not spread the load quite as efficiently but would this effect/ increase the downward tension on the soundboard?
    To be honest i'm not that impressed by the plastic insert in the bridge and have an ebony blank I could hack into a bridge if necessary.

This is the bridge after emergency re shaping!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3082.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	987.6 KB 
ID:	165231

Default Re: Bouzouki Bridge Question

This was the kind of thing it originally looked like..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steg-Bruc...4AAOSwBkRaFv0b

If I’ve understood correctly you’ve narrowed the bridge by cutting a piece of each side? That shouldn’t reduce the downward pressure but will concentrate it in a smaller area. I don’t know if the change is serious enough to risk damage. Why don’t you send Paul Hathway an email (the tailpiece gave it away!) to ask? He was very helpful when I was buying one of his mandolins second hand.

Yes, its a Hathaway and very nice to!
    I might drop Paul a line actually but was also interested in a more 'general' view on any effects of this kind of size reduction.

As OCT says, you could contact Paul, who will be able to advise you re the bracing on the soundboard. If the top is cross-braced and the original feet sat on the braces, then now the bridge may be unsupported by the bracing, which could well put extra strain on the top. When I use cross-bracing I always aim to have the bridge sitting on the braces at the outer edges. Whether this is a good idea or not, it is my way of working and seems so far to have been successful in use.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I think that you might be best placed to judge Have you noticed any difference in tone or volume?

From a non-musical or engineering perspective the overall force on the soundboard is unchanged, just concentrated on a smaller area. Whether this is a "bad thing" in terms of the strength of the instrument will depend on the bracing I assume - but I'm by no means an expert in this area! If, for example, the pieces that have been removed were over a brace this would put more pressure on a non braced region. But whether or not that is significant I'm not qualified to say.

I dont have it in hand but I think there is a decent lateral brace running from side to side right across the instrument.
    The bridge sits just behind or in front (not sure) and it was a full contact job (not with feet).
    Tone / volume wise.....I think the difference is negligible, i cant hear it anyhow, perhaps 'slightly' less in the bass (perhaps).
    Makes you wonder about all this bridge mass stuff
    Cheers
    Oliver