Thread: 'Mandolin Day' in Chester (UK) 14/4/18

Default 'Mandolin Day' in Chester (UK) 14/4/18

Hello!

After the sold-out success of last year, I'm running another 'Mandolin Day with Mike Giverin' just outside of Chester on Saturday 14th April. We had a great day last year with 25 mandolin players all spending the day together in a little village hall, talking technique and how we all respond to 'what the heck is that thing?' on a daily basis . It’s £27.50 for the day, 10:30 till 16:30 with lunch included... not to put any pressure on, but we're already down to the last 8 spaces!! Here's a little description of the day:

Time Signatures and the mandolin
    This year, the day will be an exploration of different time signatures and the different mandolin techniques required to master each one.
    We'll split the day into four separate 1 hour 15 minutes workshops. In the morning, the more commonly used 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures will be explored along with various techniques specific to them. In the afternoon, some more complex time signatures will be looked at, starting in 6/8 and progressing into the strange world of 7/8.

Full details can be found on this site:
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/2nd-a...ts-42978530943

If you're thinking "who the h*ll is this guy?" ... I wouldn't blame you ... but you can see videos of my bands at these websites:
    www.jaywalkers.co.uk/
    www.4squaremusic.co.uk

Any questions .. give us a shout

Default Re: 'Mandolin Day' in Chester (UK) 14/4/18

What sort of level is this aimed at? I consider myself still a complete beginner, despite having picked up the mandolin about a 18 moths ago. Could never find a teacher and self teaching has been a stop-start process so far. But I also want to meet other players in the region, and anything I can learn is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Radish View Post
    What sort of level is this aimed at? I consider myself still a complete beginner, despite having picked up the mandolin about a 18 moths ago. Could never find a teacher and self teaching has been a stop-start process so far. But I also want to meet other players in the region, and anything I can learn is a bonus.
    Hello! I know I'm slightly biased as it's me organising it. ... but I'd say the day would be pretty well suited to you. I reckon 80% of the people attending will be in a very similar position to yourself, so you definitely won't be out of place. I will be sending the four tunes for the day out in advance, so the day does not become a 'tune learning' day and we can look more at techniques around the tunes ... the way I'm structuring the day will be more aimed at people like yourself who have been playing a while and have maybe self-taught and picked up the odd bad habit.... hope that helps?
    Mike

Sounds great! Now with only three places left.

Lovely, see you in April .

I'll add my support - but won't be able to come along as it's the school Easter holidays and Mrs Jones & I will be away. Good lucek - be great to see more of these events. Or perhaps I just havn't found them!

7. The following members say thank you to sportsnapper for this post:

So it looks like we've already sold out! If anyone who wanted to come but couldn't make it, or hasn't booked a ticket yet .... if I can gather over 10 names, I will run a repeat event on May 12th, so drop me an email at info@jaywalkers.co.uk to register interest ... it will be an exact repeat of the April day which I originally posted about.