Thread: Eastman 305 "Semi-glosss"

Default Eastman 305 "Semi-glosss"

Due to terrible technique and a little bit of arthritis, I will often slide my middle, third, and fourth fingers on the surface where a pickguard would otherwise be. That has resulted in a 3 X 4 patch where the matte finish now has a smooth understated gloss, reminding one of a vintage instrument. Quite frankly, I'm thinking about trying a mild abrasive buffing powder and doing the whole top to get this effect.

Sorry I don't have a picture. Anyone ever done this?
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Default Re: Eastman 305 "Semi-glosss"

I certainly have not done that - but can I put my tuppence thought in here. I imagine many or most might disagree with me, but I have a real fondness for wear and tear that has clearly come from repetition and use. It's like a palimpsest on the instrument showing how much time and effort you have devoted to it. I am noticing some wear on the top right of my instrument where my left arm rests. I like it, and feel a little sad that my new McClung armrest will cover it up.

I find the pinky groove in Marla Fibish's old Gibson to be a beautiful sight.

In any case, if you want to do that across the whole instrument I would suggest a Luthier, but others here may have some useful tips to DIY.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

I used Meguiars Rubbing and Polishing compounds to buff out the satin sides and back on my Collings MTO and was very pleased with the results - I was inspired to do so after reading a thread here where someone had used the same stuff to buff out their MT. Only took me about an hour to do the sides and back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0701.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	165155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	165156
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

It can be done if the original finish can handle it. Did it on a couple of guitars years ago. The D-16H ended up looking beautiful. The Taylor 410, not so much.

Otherwise, Meguiars is go to.

That said, I do now prefer the look of wear and gloss happening naturally on a matte finish.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723