Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Under $300

Default Re: Under $300

A Stadium (AKA, Stradolin) just popped up for $225 shipped...chin scratching emoji...
    Chuck

It is a strange thing how we place so much emotional value on instruments (and I do it to). I am another one that would not strap a $500 mandolin to my mt bike. I would however, have no problem riding a $10k carbon fiber mt bike down dirt trials. Granted I can't afford one, but the mt bike I do own, is inline with a nice US made A style, and I crash it semi-regularly.

Same for motorcycles, 4x4's etc... I am pretty sure I have stacked up at least 50K in damage to vehicles without a second thought, yet I personally wouldn't take a $100 mandolin backpacking. It really makes no sense at all.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

===========

. . . since I just finished playing it, I should also mention that my Washburn M1SDL is also a fine mandolin that falls under the OP $300 price range - if you want the oval hole sound.

Robert, I totally agree. I recently tossed an Applause guitar that I unwittingly put medium strings upon to play slide on. It needed a neck reset, and there was really no mass in the neck/block to reset. In retrospect it was an ignorant move to put those strings on it, especially given the narrow nut on the thing (which isn’t conducive to finger style slide at all). It actually sounded really good plugged in and strummed, but I ruined that. I held onto the thing for 6 years longer than I should have because of all the good “beater memories” I associated with it. It’s been equally fun taking it apart, and it will be good kindling this coming weekend...
    Chuck

Yes it makes sense, a mountain bike is made to take on those rough mountain trails. That's what it is made for and where the pleasure in it is. I once knew a man that had a 4wheel drive pick-up raised with all the rough terrain equipment installed and he wouldn't take it on a gravel road.now to me that is what doesn't make sense, spend all that money and not use it. On the other hand a mandolin, be it a $200,000 Loar or a $50 Rouge was made to be played not taken on mountain bikes. I have taken my instruments to a lot of places but I always make sure I can reasonably expect them to be safe from damage or thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    ... Also I'd leave my mandolin in the car while I rode the bike. ...
    Might be a bike-only, several-day trip. The car might be 100+ miles (160 km) away at home. People do stuff like that - I've even known people who embarked on several-week long horseback-only trips, no vehicles (and no support vehicles) whatsoever. And some people choose to not own cars at all.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Honestly I might get attached to a Rogue too, but at least I'd know I could replace it very easily. Hmmm, I wonder how a Rogue would sound with a ToneGard and an armrest (it already has a pickguard)...
    Those would help, but only if you played with a Blue Chip.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gretsch New Yorker in all mahogany isn't a bad little mandolin and can be found fairly cheap.

Think the most I've rode in the past 10 years was 60 miles, over trails and roads. And there is a sponsored trip ride coming up this June, and was thinking it would be cool if I could stop by various spots and play a mandolin something when taking a break. However I ride a tadpole recumbent, not an MTB ... although some of the places I have been would make one wonder.

Generally take music with me to motivate my riding and stride. Was contemplating taking a didge with me, but may end up making an ABS version. Bovine dig the didgeridoo, and most horn instruments. Unsure if a mandolin would have much effect on them, or forest creatures.

As small as the mandolin is I should be able to find some way of strapping it onto the trike; on the side of the luggage rack with some bungee cord. If I carried it on my chest (since am reclined) it would be subjected to more sun, flying debris from passing cars, bugs, and possibly rain. This is Idaho, weather changes in mere minutes.

As such would rather carry a sturdily built mandolin, or something relatively easier to replace should the thing fall off it's mounting point or get side-swiped by brush that I could be riding through or around. Price however is also the other factor to consider; sound quality vs. ruggedness vs. size.

And then there are the excursions into the mountain with friends and church folk, and we're mostly in 4x4 vehicles. Again, ruggedness and compactness is strongly advised. Although we do go down more mellower trails; long, dusty, and dry. And they would have a lunch or snack, and we'd play songs afterwards. The church group is really good at playing songs.

Lastly, would like the mandolin to play well and be able to stand the test of time & adventures.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Lastly, would like the mandolin to play well and be able to stand the test of time & adventures.
    A good case will reduce some of the issues. To keep the costs down, one of the foam variety. Dust won't hurt anything, but constant jarring, temp and humidity fluctuation will take its toll over time.

I would just plan on this particular instrument needing semi-regular setups. Past that, should be fine.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Could of used a mandolin today.... was on stake-out on one of my jobs and there were like no pokestops around. Had to sit in the car waiting for signs of life for like an hour before heading off to the next case. Thought this surely would of been a good time to play a mandolin, although I never really tried that sitting behind the wheel of a compact car.

Leaning towards a Seagull for some odd reason. Is there a recommended softcase for the Seagull??
    Last edited by James Miller; Feb-20-2018 at 8:32pm.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I have never played a Seagull but the vibe I'm getting from folks around here is you either love them or really don't like them at all (no middle ground). Any chance you can play one before putting that cash down? I can't find one locally around me.

There is one place in Nampa that has two in stock, one with an amp. $399 though. Dorsey Music.

Seen two online around the $325 mark and have messaged both. The MC one was sold, Cliff just responded on that via email. Seems the best deal is from Hamilton, Canada ... if they will ship to the USA.
    Is a burnt umber one I saw on Reverb that had a dent in the back and was a display model, but as soon as I logged in the price jumped. Did not care for the price jump.

I've played a Seagull a few times. It's okay, but it's not one my first choice. Then again, for something to carry on a bike, it would work as well as my previous ideas. Considering the size and construction, might even be a better choice.

Now I'll probably have to throw one of my mandolins in a pannier and take it for a ride. When the weather warms up. Or at least there is no more snow on the ground.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The Canadian one responded, said they do ship to the USA and would get me a price quote tomorrow on accurate shipping. Going to go with the Canadian seller. Much more "together" and professional responses. They impressed me, about the quality of Elderly has. Oh, and Elderly is out of stock on them.

Whereas the seller from Las Vegas sort of worried me in his choice of words, texter language.

I like this fella's review of his Seagull S8, and he even recorded from a smartphone.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Right on! This may be the answer to your travel mando needs!

Went ahead and placed the order so no one else would grab the last one. two mandolins doesn't mean MAS, right?

I was able to find a Mid Mo "Mini- Mo" MM-8 for like $150 used. US made, solid, sturdy, slightly smaller and I don't have any reservations about taking it anywhere, leaving it at work, etc.

Blog Entries

I wonder if the protective quality of mandolin cases has improved enough that one might take a decent mandolin along on a bike or motor cycle, in the right case.

NFI, but I think of the Reunion Blues Continental case I use and I can imagine dropping out the window at highway speeds and as long as it isn't run over in traffic, I think the contents would survive unscathed.

I have not tested this, and I wouldn't test it with a nice mandolin first off, but I strongly suspect I am not too wrong.

Would be an interesting test.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

22. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Was surprised the Seagull S8 has a dual function truss rod. Would thing that all truss rods would work both ways, unless perhaps it's threading length??

Most truss rods only work against string tension. Typically a single rod with a threaded end.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I wonder if the protective quality of mandolin cases has improved enough that one might take a decent mandolin along on a bike or motor cycle, in the right case.

NFI, but I think of the Reunion Blues Continental case I use and I can imagine dropping out the window at highway speeds and as long as it isn't run over in traffic, I think the contents would survive unscathed.

I have not tested this, and I wouldn't test it with a nice mandolin first off, but I strongly suspect I am not too wrong.

Would be an interesting test.
    The RB Conti bags are pretty nice, probably one of the best. But I think the weight and layout of the instrument has more to do with how well it will do in these bags. I have one for banjos, which can be pretty heavy, and I wouldn't dream of letting it drop from more than a foot or two. Banjos are just too heavy and have too many places where the neck can break. Also, I'm not totally impressed with the way the RB Conti bags try to demobilize banjos. Again, weight and weak points.

Compare that with a light, short neck instrument like a mandolin, especially if there's nothing fancy on the peghead that might break, maybe better news...
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

As to rogues being mediocre, I'm astounded at how good my Ibanez feels and sounds. I paid a lot more for a Loar but I find it of lesser quality and satisfaction. Go figure. Anyway, that's the one you can get at a good price .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Compare that with a light, short neck instrument like a mandolin, especially if there's nothing fancy on the peghead that might break, maybe better news...
    You are probably right. That long neck and all the weight at one end is just a recipe for breakage. Darn physics.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....