Thread: Neck block grain orientation

Default Neck block grain orientation

I am building a bouzouki based on Grahm McDonald's book, and am wondering about the grain orientation of the neck block. I am using a bolt on tenon connection to the neck, and will be using stacked pieces of mahogany to build the neck block. shoulc the end grain be oriented front to back or side to side? Since it will most likely be 4 stacked pieces, would it make sense to alternate direction? This is my first build so any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Neck block grain orientation

I alternate grain direction.

OK thanks. That seems to make sense to me.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

use a laminated block and grain direction becomes irrelevant and you have a stronger and lighter block. I use a combination of hard and softer woods.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Assuming you are suggesting a stacked lamination from front to back, I am having trouble visualizing why it would be better. With a 20mm X 20mm mortice in the block and a tenon attached to a very long neck, it seems to me that stacking the blocks from bottom to top would provide reasonable non-end grain gluing for the sides top and bottom and some additional support for any shear forces exerted by side impact on the neck. Perhaps I am not understanding what you mean by a laminated block.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Laminated with grain directions alternated.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Yes. Stack them top to bottom.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Oliver For This Useful Post:

OK thanks; that makes sense.

Has anyone ever removed a neck from a laminated block? It would seem that steaming off a neck would unravel the laminations.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by bpatrick View Post
    Has anyone ever removed a neck from a laminated block? It would seem that steaming off a neck would unravel the laminations.
    Use strongest waterproof glue you can find.... I've used strong epoxy and CA in the past but urea formaldehyde or similar glue used for waterproof plywood would be best bet... You can use thin dowels in the corners to make sure the laminations won't shift/slip under tension.
    I would love to know what the chinese use on some kitchenware made of small pieces of Bamboo or rubberwood. I'have one rubberwood cutting board that has been in use for decade and often left in sink submerged under water or with one side on wet bottom and other dry and the thing is still holding perfectly together (glued from three pieces of ruberwood) and barely showing any warping (two strokes of hand plane would make it perfectly flat again).
    Adrian