Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your favorite Mandolin Player? And which song?

Default Re: Who is your favorite Mandolin Player? And which song?

Chris Thile (with Mike Marshall). Song - Shoulda Seen It Comin' (from the Woodsongs afterset)

Frankly I really like listening to our very own David Hansen's YouTube channel, his videos usually come up whenever I search a song I'm trying to learn.

18 years ago,at the Classical Mandolin meeting in Atlanta,Chris Thile was there(they missplelled his name on the flier="Christ Thile"). I have to say he made the biggest impression on
    me of any mando player I had ever heard. He demonstrated great classical skills;but,it was obvious he could play anything just brilliantly. And he was so approachable,generous and cool.

Speaking of cool; Don Stiernberg...Like the other side of the pillow.

So many fine players these days! Hard to pick a fave player let alone a song/tune.

Love Johnny"Rocket" Staats.

Nobody quite like The Dawg. True renaissance man. He started the whole mandolin thing for me
    way back when. May his beard grow ever longer.

Sam Bush's break on Big Sciota.

Seamus - A huge % of Irish folks in Manchester. My wife's ancestry is all Irish. My local folk club plays predominantly Irish music,with 'English' tunes thrown in for good measure. Of course,being up in Lancashire,there's a good deal of Lancashire dialect songs in the mix as well - all good fun !.

It's a pity that we can't post MP3's on here. I have a mandolin piece by Robin Bullock - ''Sean In The Mist / The Trip To Swannanoa'' that'd scramble your ears !,
    Ivan
    PS - Here's a link to it. Unfortunately i don't think it will work for the folks in the USA. Left click on the title > select 'Listen' > & you can download it to your PC if you wish - it's 'legal' :-

http://mp3-red.cc/4733273/robin-bull...swannanoa.html
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Hey thanks Ivan! Yes, the Irish diaspora to the NW of England was fundamental - especially Manchester and Liverpool. Some of our most famous music and bands from that region have Irish heritage even if they do not play ITM. Also, lots of Irish emigrants went to Birmingham - my parents decided to move to London where I grew up in a mainly Irish community, so spent many evenings drinking coke and eating crisps in the corners of pubs listening to a mix of traditional Irish songs and not a small amount of Rebel songs as well.

Thanks for the link! Lovely song that uses that thing I don't know the name of when the song hits a minor chord and pauses slightly. I'm sure there is a name for it.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

8. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

Hi Seamus - I'm glad that the link worked for you. As you might have gathered its a (day i say it ???) Russian website. However,i've scanned the link with a few Anti-virus scanners & it's been fine. There's a whole lifetime's music of almost every genre on there. I've managed to find & to download many long forgotten songs from the post WWII period. A search for Bill Monroe MP3's comes up with page after page of them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.