Thread: Ping mandolin tuners

Default Ping mandolin tuners

my Eastman A style 505cc mahogany has this type of tuning machines are they any good or junk. I did not get the mandolin yet its in the mail on its way to its new home. should I upgrade to grover 309n A's or not.

Default Re: Ping mandolin tuners

See how they feel and function. They're inexpensive, but can function perfectly well. I've thought about changing the tuners on my 315, but have gotten their feel figured out, so will probably just roll with them...
    Chuck

one would think on the 500 series they would use better tuning machines. this seems to be the trend with Eastman & Kentucky, on their lower end mandolins. sub par tuners & you don't get a case.

I had a 505 that had Schallers installed on it. They were the best tuners I've ever used on any instrument. My Larrivee guitar came with Pings on it. They were absolute JUNK and got replaced with Gotohs. YMMV.

I have a set of Grover's waiting for it when it arrives. it is sitting in N.J. right now & I guess it is not going to move till Tuesday due to Presidents day.

I keep meaning to change the pings on my 505 but after 9 years they are still there and work pretty well with no mechanical issues. I just find I have to retune more often than I would like. I went as far as to get a set of Grover 309(N? I forget) but they were the wrong ones (worm over/under issue) so I just let it go. Maybe I’ll try again...

I think this is the Golden age for mandolins. a few years back it was the banjo. all we need now is for Bluegrass to have another upswing. also took advantage of musicians friend case sale at $29.99. my 505cc is coming with a free case, but the case has a latch issue & won't lock, so what the hell the case from mf was priced right.

A little over a month ago, I purchased a 515 that came with Ping tuners. Unfortunately, they were completely unusable. One of the A-string tuners was stiff to the point of being unmovable (machining problems), and almost all of the others were severely out of tune within a minute or two. I got in touch with Eastman, and much to their credit, they quickly responded and very quickly sent out a new set of the same Ping tuners, which was awesome of them to do! The new tuners are MUCH better than the first set, but still just okay if I'm being honest. As Bill Cameron just posted, " I just find I have to retune more often than I would like." It seems like it will be worth it to just swap them for a set of Grovers in the near future, unless anyone has suggestions for other sets of tuners
    Owner of emlpicks.com