Thread: F Major Chords

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default F Major Chords

I'm working on Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain in F Major. Chords are F, C7, Bb and F7. I use 2 finger F and C7 chords. What shapes do you recommend for Bb and F7?

Default Re: F Major Chords

If you are doing two finger chords then can I assume you are playing three strings for the F. If so take the finger that is on the D string third fret and move it to the first fret. So you would have E string 1st fret, A string open, D string 1st fret. For the Bb play the E and A string on the 1st fret and the D string open.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Bb 3,3,5,x or 3,0,1,x
    F7 2,1,3,x

A "rootless" F7 is 2-1-0-x.

The ones I had found and tried to use:

Bb: 3011, which is doable and what pops1 suggested, right?

F7: 2131, which is a variation of pops1 and Mark suggestions. I couldn't figure out which fingers go where. Jon's is the simplest, so I'll try it first.

Thanks to all.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I'm working on Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain in F Major. Chords are F, C7, Bb and F7. I use 2 finger F and C7 chords. What shapes do you recommend for Bb and F7?
    My favorite F7 forms are: 213*, 536*, 576*, 656*, three of them rootless. Although chords with one string open could work very well, e.g. the chop F: 5301, I would not use 210*, with the third doubled. Experiment with these forms in combination with various Bb forms, such as 335* or 788* (or perhaps some variations on Bb6 or Bb7) until you find those forms that connect most smoothly.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

656* ????? C#-G-Eb ?????
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

Unless the key is your preferred singing key, I would either go up to G major or down to D. Either would give you much more useful chord options.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Unless the key is your preferred singing key, I would either go up to G major or down to D. Either would give you much more useful chord options.
    I'm playing the melody from sheet music, so playing in a different key isn't an option. And I think learning these chords will help in a jam setting. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Sherry, it's easy to change the chords on the sheet music. If you want to go to G it is 1 step up from F. Write a G over, or above, the F, write a C over the Bb, and write a D7 over the C7. It is good to learn to play in F, but in most jams they will keep to easier keys and if you play this in a jam folks will appreciate you playing it in G instead of F.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

As far as key, Willie played it in E. I have seen people do it mostly in C or D unless they were making a point to follow Willie.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Sherry, it's easy to change the chords on the sheet music. If you want to go to G it is 1 step up from F. Write a G over, or above, the F, write a C over the Bb, and write a D7 over the C7. It is good to learn to play in F, but in most jams they will keep to easier keys and if you play this in a jam folks will appreciate you playing it in G instead of F.
    I should have been more clear. I can change the chords on the sheet music, but have no interest in taking the necessary time to rewrite the melody. Few in my jam group lead with tunes in F, but I know at least some of them can play the chords.

Not to start a whole different topic here, but musicians in the group with which I jam seem content to play the same tunes over and over and over. Almost all of them have music stands, but none seem to read standard notation; rather, they have printed lyrics and chords. Each week I write down a new tune someone played at the jam, then later print the lyrics from a website where I can select the key. The next time that tune is played at the jam, I have all the correct chords from the printed sheets in my notebook. I'm in no way criticizing others in the group, and they're way ahead of me in experience. I'm just in a different place, where I'm trying to learn all I can and continue to improve my playing. I'm generally extremely respectful of others in this group and they have been nothing by supportive of my lower abilities. I don't believe anyone will take offense at my playing an F major tune - or a classical piece - from time to time. Just to further describe the group, almost everything played is classic country or spiritual hymns. There are approx. 10 guitarists, one guy with harmonicas, and just recently a second mandolinist. She and I have become fast friends. She plays primarily bluegrass and doesn't read music.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    As far as key, Willie played it in E. I have seen people do it mostly in C or D unless they were making a point to follow Willie.
    A client loaned me a country songbook which shows it in F. There are other tunes in the book also played in F, but I'll spread them out among Gs, Ds, Cs and As.

Borrowing from an old Oak book of chords ..

F7 barre* the 1st fret for the Eb on the D string the root F is on the E.
    2nd fret the G, 3rd fret the A.. 1213 (* or finger imrp)

(213x, rootless ..fore or x101)

easier to fret than that 1st fret barre might be a 5365 [ D7 form made movable fretting the D string}

Bb I use a movable barre on the G&D strings, on 3rd fret and use that and finger the G chord shape with the ring and pinky

Last edited by mandroid; Feb-19-2018 at 6:51pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture