Thread: New Speaker Cabinet

Blog Entries

Default New Speaker Cabinet

I love the 6.5" woofer from Eminence with neodynium magnet. Its high end is smooth and it has a mild midrange. Rated 100W RMS, two are a good match, at combined 4 ohms, for my Gallien-Krueger 200MB head (200W at 4 ohms).

Cabinet is 3/8" solid walnut sides and back, 3/8" solid maple for the front. 4 coats tung oil for the finish. weighs about 14 lbs with speakers (2.2 lbs. ea.). Outer dimensions are 20.75" x 12.75" x 8". This will be my main jazz cabinet for performance.

Pic shows the amp head and my tiny cabinet at left that I use for folk gigs (one 6.5" speaker).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twincab.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	165088
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

2. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

lenf12 

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Re: New Speaker Cabinet

Looks good, Tom.
    Did you build the cabinet?
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

Yes, one day for gluing together (screws instead of furniture clamps) and a few days for finishing. I think it needs some sound damping inside---it's kind of boxy in the mids, although plenty of low end with the port.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

Blog Entries

I did add some fiberglass inside, not much effect. Kind of like getting a new instrument, one's ears get used to the sound, and I really like this box now.

More useful is the tilt-stand I added, using a leftover piece of walnut. A small piece of velcro keeps it out of the way while carrying.

Name:	cab stand 1.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	165167

Name:	cab stand 2.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	679.0 KB 
ID:	165168

Name:	cab stand 3.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	791.6 KB 
ID:	165169
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

6. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

derbex 

GK amp, nice. What instruments are you playing through it? I see it's a bass amp. I'll have to check them out. Nice looking rig, Tom!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Very cool, Tom!

Is this cabinet closed or open in the back? I’m guessing closed, because of the port in the front?
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

Blog Entries

Yes, closed back.

That is my amp for mandolin, either my Buchanan acoustic or my solid-body electric. The 6.5" speaker cones are woofers, because they have smoother high end but mainly because of the power-handling capacity (100W ea). The GK amp has four EQ bands, very useful, at 80 Hz, 250, 1K and 7K. It sounds sweet into my small cabinets for folk dances. Not expensive and 200W into 4 ohms (140 into 8). Amp head weighs 2.2 lbs. Assorted outputs and inputs on the back.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

I love projects like this, and I think this is fascinating for a couple of different reasons: 1.) I love smaller speakers due to their property of better sound dispersion because of a shallower cone. 2.) no one seems to be interested in making small speaker cabinets. 3.) I really like how 2x8” cabs sound, so I wonder how a 2x6” would sound in comparison. 4.) closed back cabinets seem to be the most finicky regarding design.

Just to pick your brain, I have a few questions:

1.) How did you decide on the port and cabinet dimensions? Did Eminence give you any guidance?

2.) Based on the dimensions of your cabinet, you could’ve gone with a 1x10” or even a 1x12”. Specifically, why did you not choose the DELTALITE 10 at 250W? The frequency curve is not a whole lot different compared to the ALPHALITE 6A, but the 10” has a little better efficiency. Not only is the 10” more efficient, but the speaker surface area of a 10” is roughly 78in^2 as compared to 57in^2 for the dual 6” speakers. Necessarily you will be moving more air more efficiently with a single 10” vs a dual 6”, so why the dual 6’s? Also the resonance freq of the 10” is much lower, so there should be a lower risk of disruptive frequency resonance.

3.) Other than weight and power handling, do you think by using a DELTALITE 6A you gain any sonic ground over a speaker designed for a string instrument like an Eminence 620H?

My apologies. There is a lot to unpack in my questions above; however, listening to your music online, I think you are a helluva player with a great ear, so I think many of us could learn from your speaker/cab choices.
    Thanks,
    Travis

Dang.

It looks like I killed another thread.
    Thanks,
    Travis

12. The following members say thank you to Travis Wilson for this post:

dang 

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed your questions. I'm glad you asked because I was going to report I had it out Sunday with the horns and drums and it performed nicely.

I am sure other speakers would serve as well or better---I have an Eminence full-range 12" with whizzer cone that is a fine sound in a big box. I just really like these little guys and wanted to use them. I like their sound on my instruments, and I feel the dispersion is pretty good.

I used an online calculator with Thiele-Small parameters as inputs, and adjusted outer dimensions to a convenient shape to match a desired volume. Internal volume yielded a simple port not needing a tube. I made a tiny box for one cone--the one next to the twin cabinet--which I intended as a suitcase-friendly shape. Like a shoebox, and has a small simple port. It is what I use for folk gigs---the small footprint is more discreet. Goes plenty loud.

I find the port size not a big issue, as anything does something. I have a large closed-back box for the 12 that I feel was improved after I added a couple of ports. Ditto for a little sealed 8" cube from Flite that was too tight in the bass. Two 1" round ports helped the low end hugely. The low-end response curve would likely have some bump but hi-fi is not the goal.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Give us an update, Tom!

Now that you have been using the cab for a month, what are your thoughts? Do you still like it? Have you discovered any shortcomings?
    Thanks,
    Travis

Blog Entries

Still enjoying it very much, although have not had it out in public yet except for a rehearsal or workshop. The tone is sweet, and it is rocking loud if needed. Efficiency not so much an issue these days with high-power class-D amps. Acquired a padded cover so it is ready to gig when I get my quintet going.

I have a fine 12" box with an Eminence Beta 12 with whizzer cone, but it's like a Fender Bassman cab and not apartment-and-stairs friendly.

BTW, kudos to US Speaker and Eminence. We had an issue with a couple of defective cones and they did not quit until the problem was fixed. Excellent companies, both.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

17. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Hi Tom.

Two months into your home brew cabinet! Are you still pleased? Do you have any sound clips?
    Thanks,
    Travis

Blog Entries

I don't need to use it yet, as I haven't had a chance to play out with any substantial band. For now I use the smallest cab with the same cone---the "Four" clip had that as the cabinet in use. I don't really need the more powerful cab for workshop sessions, and the tiny cab is so easy to carry and plenty loud even with drums and saxes.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

Blog Entries

The older tiny cab was put through its paces at a party Saturday night---amplified Buchanan, Fender bass and congas with brushes, for lots of jazz tunes, and again Sunday with solid body at the Jazz Workshop. The highs on the 6.5" are very smooth and I don't miss a tweeter when using it for acoustic sound, while it has a rich middle, without unpleasant resonances, that helps for a fat jazz tone.

When I demonstrated the new cabinet to a friend he said it sounded exactly like the Buchanan's acoustic sound in the room, when I plugged in. I have another box with a powerful 8" cone but its high end is not as smooth and pleasing, and too much midrange, requiring efforts to tweak tone controls or outboard EQ for best results. No need for such with the Eminence speaker.
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud

21. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post: