Thread: One in, one out

Default One in, one out

If one is trying to keep their instrument collection static, the one in, one out solution is useless, bordering on the absurd. The only foolproof method is the one out, one in approach.

Another foolish thing to do when wanting to sell an instrument is to open up the case and play it.

So, to save yourself the trouble of fine tuning your art of self delusion, one must first sell, pack and ship an instrument before buying another. Otherwise you're just setting the scene for another round of self flagellation, or delusional thinking.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

G7MOF 

Default Re: One in, one out

That's some sound wisdom right there.....

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    If one is trying to keep their instrument collection static, the one in, one out solution is useless, bordering on the absurd.
    Who wants to be static? The word is defined as "lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting." Static on the radio is undesirable. Static cling on my laundry is undesirable. Do you want your instrument collection to be undesirable, Br1ck? I say heck no! Let's be interesting and demand instrument collections that are dynamic! The only foolproof method is the one in, one in approach.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Why not just buy an instrument and keep it for life? There are some that are worthy of this approach.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny Gies For This Useful Post:

You mean you are allowed to sell one?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Eegads, I treat fretted instruments like stocks. Buy and hold.

11. The following members say thank you to Peter Barnett for this post:

I've done two rounds of one out one in, but I’m thinking one in none out for my next. Just need a creative excuse for my wife!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

I did one in,one in and another one in,and then one out...

In order to get my Girouard F-5 it was three out-one in. And boy am I happy.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

===========

I can never say for sure, but my closest guess is somewhere between 200-250 fretted instruments over the past 25 years; (yes, I have an addictive personality) - but my current stock is about 25. So, if you do the math, for me it has been about 1 in, 8-10 out. If I had a warehouse for my stuff like Rick Nielsen or Joe Perry, then I probably would have held on to quite a few more . . .

A good idea , BUT you really need to know what is coming in and if you like it enough to replace it.

Blog Entries

Well, prices seem to be pretty good recently if you are a buyer. So the only logical strategy at this point is to buy now and sell later.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

...Another foolish thing to do when wanting to sell an instrument is to open up the case and play it...
    Can't help but wonder what brought about this revelation.

so who is the Mike Slubowski of mandolins? https://gemr.com/blog/the-5-supposed...r-collections/

That list forgot Neil Young, who supposedly also has a climate controlled warehouse somewhere full of guitars and amps.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Why not just buy an instrument and keep it for life? There are some that are worthy of this approach.
    Well, I'm pretty successful at an altered version of this sound approach. I buy an instrument, keep it, buy another, keep it, buy another, keep it, buy another.........
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by THart View Post
    Can't help but wonder what brought about this revelation.

Well, the one that stands out to me the most was a Les Paul. Never really liked them in the stores, but thought that maybe if I owned one, I would realize what they were all about an why they are an iconic guitar. Well, I don't like the feel, the weight,the scale length, and most everything about them. Oh, and the pickups got replaced right off. Every time I was going to sell it, I'd open the case which had a hot pink interior, and the honey burst finish was beautiful. I'd just put it away for a while.nit took me a year to finally sell it.

Then there is the twelve string I rarely play. Same thing. So pretty, and really a nice guitar.I think about selling untill I drag it out again.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Remember the Chinery collection? The most mind blowing acoustic and electric guitar collection, maybe ever. I remember he commissioned every high end arch top builder to build blue arch tops. Saw them at the Smithsonian.

He passed away suddenly and it wasn't six months before his estate started selling them off. That was the end of the $ 80,000 Strats.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well, the one that stands out to me the most was a Les Paul. Never really liked them in the stores, but thought that maybe if I owned one, I would realize what they were all about an why they are an iconic guitar. Well, I don't like the feel, the weight,the scale length, and most everything about them. Oh, and the pickups got replaced right off. Every time I was going to sell it, I'd open the case which had a hot pink interior, and the honey burst finish was beautiful. I'd just put it away for a while.nit took me a year to finally sell it.

Then there is the twelve string I rarely play. Same thing. So pretty, and really a nice guitar.I think about selling untill I drag it out again.
    Ah, I was wondering which end of the deal you were on. Had a seller back out on a deal myself for this reason. Funny, I saw just recently the same seller post an ad for the same instrument. It was up for a few weeks and then disappeared. I kind of wonder if it sold or he once again decided he couldn't part ways with it.

I don't have a ton of money in my twelve string. I had a PONO 0 sized 12 fret parlor guitar, really nice rosewood/Engelman spruce with wood binding and a bit of abalone for the rosette, then PONO had a year end clearance and the exact guitar in a 12 string was part of the sale. Now I have a matched set. PONO product is really a vary nice instrument at a very attractive price. I have the two guitars and a uke. The octave mandolins are intriguing. Their pricing allows me to indulge in instruments I like to have but won't play much.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Ha, we have all manner of approaches to this one. Personally I don't enjoy having instruments I'm not currently studying and/or using for performance. It's gotten to the point (but gratefully so) that i hesitate to buy something I dont anticipate using in performing (i very nearly got another pedal steel recently, but finally recalled that I'm retired from playing out after night - it's why I eschewed my drums years ago for heaven's sake). But at the same time, I don't like to buy something i'll use for performing (another resonator instrmnt for example), but won't study due to lack of inspiration for whatever reasons - i'd be more likely to learn to perform with what inspired me. I was able to sell/give away all but the last of my gtrs/bnjos/mndlns as i don't use em anymore. This approach really restricts my instrument acquisition, and am very gratified with that. It corresponds likely with longevity, much experimentation, and perhaps more focus.

But the pitfall here then is being too diffuse - i'd learn to use them all to justify having them!