Thread: 8 string electric octave mandolin bridge?

Default 8 string electric octave mandolin bridge?

I ordered an 8 string electric octave mandolin/mandocello bridge from Moongazer Music, before finding out that Tom had died. Does anyone know where to buy one, or have one they'd be willing to part with?

Default Re: 8 string electric octave mandolin bridge?

What type of bridge are you looking for?

I ordered the bridge from this page: http://www.moongazermusic.com/bridges.html

Mandocello/Octave Mandolin 8-string MandoCello/Octave Mandolin Bridge. 1-3/4" or 2" out to out string spread. MCOMB, 2" option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass Tele bridge.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	165242
    I had no idea that such an awesome source for such things existed. I've always made my own bridges and tail pieces and sometimes had success in modifying an existent bit of hardware. If the picture loads, its just an idea that might help. Its brass from McMaster Carr. Because the design is string-through, the only stress on the back is the support to keep the saddles upright. The bassplate is 1/8 sheet and the back starts out as 1/4 X 5/16 bar stock. The saddles are made from 1/4 rod. The bass plate has 4-40 threaded holes as do the saddles. The screws are all stainless. This strategy would work for any string configuration but making the bridge is tedious and there was a learning curve.

From the start and for many years, Andrew Jerman was supplying the bridges to Moongazer. I don't know if that relationship continued until currently and/or if Andrew knows anything about Moongazer's existing stock or if he has any bridges himself. Andrew is thistle3585 here on the Cafe and his website is http://www.crossroadswood.com