Thread: Phil Davidson Mandolins

Default Phil Davidson Mandolins

I know that Davidson mandolins have been discussed here a few times - and always in favourable terms. I was wondering how many of you have one or have played one? I played a Davidson some years ago in a shop and loved the sound and sustain. It's a very organic sounding mandolin, and much warmer than my Eastman.

I am giving some serious thought to getting a Davidson, probably second-hand. I want a natural finish, oval-hole A-style mandolin of the type that Phil excels at. I also like the idea of supporting a Luthier with a small business, and Phil does refurbs with his guarantee and case.

I have contacted Phil and of course his first question was "carved or flat?" and it occurred to me that I have never really considered this before, and I'm not entirely sure I understand the difference beyond the fact that the carved takes longer to make and is therefore more expensive. Do you think there is a noticeable difference? I will go to carved if needs be, and if in your experience they are notably better quality.

There is quite a selection at Eagle music in the UK:
    https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/cat/m...brand/Davidson

However, Hobgoblin have a couple second-hand:
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...rved-mandolin/

And...
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...th-pickup-vgc/

I really like this last one a great deal, but I cannot place the model and there is not much information. If you compare it to the other models in the Eagle music shop, the Tailpiece appears to be slightly larger. Also, the inlay on the Headstock is at the top and not the middle. The only other model I can see like that has a completely differently shaped oval hole. Any ideas? I have emailed them but no answer so far...
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Phil Davidson Mandolins

Looks like a good price for it. Why don't you ask your nearest Hobgoblin shop to have it delivered to the store for you to try it? They're usually very good about that.

I have played a couple of Davidson mandolins at the Hobgoblin Canterbury, and they both sounded and felt great. I think they were both flat tops. One of them was too expensive for me, and the other - although it may sound silly - had a soundhole design I didn't like. For that kind of price, I wanted to like the look as much as the sound and feel.

Carved and flat tops will sound different, but they will both sound good. I don't think you can go wrong with a Davidson.

3. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

I tried out a second hand Davidson at Eagle Music a few years ago, a very fine instrument.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

My partner has a Phil Davidson archtop, and very fine it is too. I prefer playing it to my own Old Wave. I have met Phil several times now, and he is a splendid bloke who will build you a very very fine instrument.

Bear in mind Eagle music do not actually stock Phil’s mandolins. He told me recently that he hasn’t supplied them for years. Not sure why they still show them. I guess if someone wanted one they would commission Phil on your behalf. Might as well go to him direct.

Oh, and I personally prefer his arch tops- more complex, meatier sound.

You can hear a Ohil Davidson in action if you listen to the video I posted yesterday (Ian Green of Greentrax) in the Celtic section of the forum.

Robbie

7. The following members say thank you to ukrobbiej for this post:

Phil's a friend of mine,although as i don't attend many Bluegrass Festivals these days,where Phil has his instruments on display,i haven't seen him for quite a while. Phil kicked off making banjos,many of which i've played & they were very fine indeed. He branched out into making Guitars / Mandolins,& the mandolins that i've played were first class !.

Phil makes both 'flat tops' & 'arch tops',so it's a question of which style you need for your specific genre of music. Either way,if you buy one of Phil's mandolins,you're going to be very well pleased,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phil Davidson instruments.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	479.1 KB 
ID:	165067
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Hi Seamus... I usually sit next to someone in sessions who plays the more expensive carved top Davidson and it is a fine instrument (I’ve tried it out also). If you’re up my way to try the TKL case for your Eastman, please feel free to try out my Taran Springwell which is a “Sobell’-style carved-top mandolin designed for “Celtic” settings. I’ll be putting that up for sale here soon but that’s not the reason I mention it, more that you might get an idea of the sound a good custom-designed archtop produces.

11. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

To go back to Seamus' original question; there are big diffrences in the sound of a carved top instrument compared to a flat top. I find that carved top instruments have a more rounded and focussed sound whereas ones with flat tops I would describe as sounding more "agricultural". I seem to have amassed something of a collection of both types and whereas carved tops can sometimes sound a little "polite" I much prefer them to flat tops. The only way you'll really find out what the differences are is to try both.

13. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Blog Entries

I had Phil make me an excellent two point carved top. I couldn’t have imagined spending £4k on a mandolin would deliver such a leap in quality and being able to custom spec everything made a massive difference.

Name:	3A7AD581-F66F-4CBE-9C9D-81F5D7F81E0A.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	788.3 KB 
ID:	165079 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B9EE797-E8E4-4479-A155-C7A9202FFB55.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	165080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4BFE77D1-0821-43A1-B4C7-57FA14089A6B.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	811.3 KB 
ID:	165081

Name:	A6893056-737C-4CDB-96F8-ED15B2B056CE.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	165082 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86DB5744-F4C8-499D-97AE-A79B1C7C7A46.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	165083
    Anyway, how to describe it is a tough one, I’ll just say there’s nothing more I want in a mandolin than this.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    Looks like a good price for it. Why don't you ask your nearest Hobgoblin shop to have it delivered to the store for you to try it? They're usually very good about that.
    I didn't know they could do that Gelsenbury - I will certainly put in a request for it to come across to the Birmingham or London branch so I can try it out.

One of them was too expensive for me, and the other - although it may sound silly - had a soundhole design I didn't like. For that kind of price, I wanted to like the look as much as the sound and feel.
    I wonder if that was the squat hole they do (https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/...p-mandolin.htm). I would certainly prefer a round or oval, but if the right one comes up 2nd hand for the right price I won't be too fussy!

Bear in mind Eagle music do not actually stock Phil’s mandolins. He told me recently that he hasn’t supplied them for years. Not sure why they still show them. I guess if someone wanted one they would commission Phil on your behalf. Might as well go to him direct.
    Thanks Robbie - I didn't know that! I have gone straight to Phil but the Eagle shop is a good site to get a sense of the different models, although I don't think they all match what Phil now does because he does so many customs.

Oh, and I personally prefer his arch tops- more complex, meatier sound.
    This is what I am hearing - I will certainly consider an arch-top 2nd-hand for the right price.

Phil makes both 'flat tops' & 'arch tops',so it's a question of which style you need for your specific genre of music. Either way,if you buy one of Phil's mandolins,you're going to be very well pleased, Ivan
    Thanks Ivan - I'm going to get myself to Hobgoblin to try both for a while and see how I feel. When I tried them before I was a proper beginner and did not even know there was a difference so it will be good to go in armed with knowledge.

And thanks again Richard - I would love to have a go on your Taran Springwell. It would be great to hear a Taran or Girouard which are right up there as the best for playing ITM.

Ray - I am interested in your use of the term 'agricultural' for flats - do you mean that they are slightly more MOR in sound than carved?

beanzy - that's a beautiful instrument. The headstock alone sells it, but the finish is so lovingly made.

17. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

To me, they don't sound so "refined". The can seem to have something of a rough edge which can be hard to control; hence "Agricultural". That just might be the sound you're looking for, however!

19. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Ray, I know what you’re saying. My Flatiron 1N is loud as Hades, but has a ton more sustain, more overtones, and less “cut” than my arch tops. Less refined, maybe a little more “nasty,” and a very organic sound. I freaking love the thing. It’s not a mando to take to a bluegrass jam, but works for everything else...If I had to keep only one it would be my Silverangel or my RM-1, but I play the Flatiron almost as much as those two.

Beanzy, that two point looks awesome!
    Chuck

21. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Blog Entries

There’s a lot going on under the surface too.
    Instead of a truss rod I had him make the neck with a 3mm carbon fibre seam right through the middle, his preferred solution rather than using rods etc.
    This is dressed with an ebony strip on the rear, so it can be finished in the same oil finish as the mandolin, as dressing CF can be a bugger.
    Here’s a pic of the blocks being glued before he began shaping the neck.

Name:	C0F1A780-8DBD-455B-9AF8-0417CC050935.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	165183

It also has a 33mm nut, with the courses offset towards the bass side to allow more clearance for the outside e string, helping prevent inadvertent muting or interference from my very agricultural paws. The binding is in proportion so it’s not obvious unless you look closely.

Name:	05847F4B-C853-4E1D-84F2-D69EC5AEE779.jpeg 
Views:	162 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	165184

The rim between the points is made from a single piece of maple abd I ordered it without a tail pin as I hold the mandolin high up without a strap.

Name:	122CD21F-6E4D-4495-9327-5963D1680B6E.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	165185
    We got the James tailpiece without a hole too and the Waverly tuners in a finish to match (they’re mounted reverse for contrariness sakes)
    All of those are just for my own satisfaction because it is a personal item, it’s nice to be able to be different and push te boundaries a bit just because you can. Phil made that very easy for me and is very good at steering you along the border between the imagination and the practicalities involved.
    Last edited by Beanzy; Feb-20-2018 at 1:30am.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

I'll ring out a bit of praise for Phil's wife who does all the MOP etc. inlay work. Here's Phil's gallery of pics :- http://www.davidsoninstruments.com/examples/

Here's one 'up front',
    Ivan

Name:	Phil Davidson Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	165187
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder.

Here's a lovely example of the sound of a pair of Davidson mandolins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9l5qchBcRk

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Quig For This Useful Post:

Nick, I just posted that a few days ago! It's really nice seeing two Davidsons being played side by side.

Ivan - that is a beautiful instrument - if I couldn't get natural wood, I would definitely go for black. I am especially fond of that particular tailpiece that Phil uses.

30. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post: