Thread: Going rate for an Ovation MM68?

Default Going rate for an Ovation MM68?

Hi everyone....it’s been a while. I’ve fallen on pretty desperate times financially and urgently/sadly need to sell some stuff. Can anyone tell me what the current price window is for a used but great condition Ovation MM68 w/HSC? Google searching doesn’t help me much to know what to ask for. This is not the AX, it’s the rarer American made one.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle

Default Re: Going rate for an Ovation MM68?

If my completely un-scientific search of Reverb.com is any indication (one open / one ended listing) asking price is $1400. Will it sell quickly for that? Unknown.

Best of luck to you whatever happens.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Ovation MM68's don't get the respect they deserve. I haven't seen one on the Bay for a while now. They used to go for between $500 and $700. Some have bellying behind the bridge and or fine cracks at the bridge - it seems to be under a lot of tension. The electrics are great but that 'guitar-shape' and composite back are too ugly for purists. Pick a price and put it in the Classifieds, you'll either get it or you won't but you can be sure of at least a few offers...

According to a search of ones recently sold (not just listed) on EBay, one sold for $400 (with free shipping) on January 12th.

Another, slightly damaged one sold last December for $1275 plus $59.00 shipping.

So, somewhere between those two sales should give you a good idea what it might bring these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bradford View Post
    According to a search of ones recently sold (not just listed) on EBay, one sold for $400 (with free shipping) on January 12th.

Another, slightly damaged one sold last December for $1275 plus $59.00 shipping.

So, somewhere between those two sales should give you a good idea what it might bring these days.
    The first one is a Korean-made while the second is US so it's not quite apples to apples.

Looks like there's some discussion here from 2011 when they were just moved overseas: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...S-mandolin-Not

A few were found used at the time for $600, $800, & $1200 and it doesn't appear that they've depreciated considerably. So based on everything posted so far I'd say the range is $600 at the extreme low end to $1400 on the opposite.

Phil - $800-1200 should do it, with a faster sale the lower you go.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I bought mine for $900 about 6 months ago. There weren't any around at that time (Ebay, Reverb, Gbase, here) and I'd been wanting one for several months so I jumped on it. Can't open Ebay at work, I'm surprised one went for $1275, that seems awfully high.

They originally retailed for about $1,150. I’ve never seen one sell for over $800, but they have become very scarce. The MCS148 is a Korean made Celebrity.

Well, the Adamas MM80-NWT Carbon Fiber was selling for at least $3,000 when they were available, and you can get a 30th anniversary “Book” mandolin for $3,000 if you act quickly at https://reverb.com/item/8374122-ovat...s-natural-wood