Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific mandolins for old-time music?

Default Specific mandolins for old-time music?

I have been wondering.... I understand that people tend to favor something along the lines of a vintage Gibson A for playing old time music. Is this mostly just for looks?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Specific mandolins for old-time music?

An old time mandolin for old time music?
    I've seen all types of mandolin used for old time or Irish music and liked them all.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

3. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Yeah, no certain type is necessary. I know players who use F-5 style, or F-4, and others thar use flat tops. If it works for you, then it will work for old time.

I was going to add in a "correct me if I'm wrong" disclaimer - should have left that in.

Maybe I just see a lot of ads for those old mandos that say "great for Celtic or old-time" in the descriptions....

I view the phrase good for Celtic and old time as a sub for not good for bluegrass. I think a good bluegrass mandolin can play Celtic better than a good Celtic can play bluegrass. I also think the phrase is used because sellers genuinely want buyers to be happy with their perchase.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have used an old Gibson, Martin bent top, and an ff holed instrument. All work well and for the last 10 years I have been using the ff hole. Have also used a banjo mandolin and a banjo uke.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

The F4 would really get you the Looks compliments..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I view the phrase good for Celtic and old time as a sub for not good for bluegrass.
    That makes a lot of sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    The F4 would really get you the Looks compliments..
    +1 We have a guy that comes to our jam with an F2. It's got the look, but the sound knocks me over. Vintage gibby oval tone rocks

Saying you should only play a certain type of mandolin in old time music, to me is like saying 'you should only eat pizza in NYC.'

12. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I prefer an oval hole long neck mandolin based on what MY ears tell me !

I've made something of a study of this. In my experience "serious" old time players use oval hole paddle-head Gibsons, usually A style (rarely F, rarely snakeheads). This isn't exactly historically accurate as Gibsons were more expensive. Almost never do you see anyone playing a bowlback, although they were common way back when. As were less expensive flat tops. There are certainly also fine players nowadays who use F hole instruments and many jammers do. Strangely, at the old time camps I've been to, jams, and Clifftop I've never seen anyone play a long-necked (12th fret joint) oval hole such as Weber, Collings, Northfield, Pava etc make. The only people who care are...mandolin players. And you can play what you have/like. I use both an oval (most of the time) and an f-hole, the latter being somewhat better for large jams.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cary Fagan For This Useful Post:

I have used, at different times:

1. c1906 Gibson three-point F-2 (carved top, oval hole)
    2. 1950's Strad-O-Lin (pressed top, f-hole)
    3. 1919 Martin Style A (bent top, oval hole)
    4. 1986 Gibson A/N Custom "pancake" (flat top, oval hole)
    5. Recent Eastman DGM-2 Bacon clone (carved top, oval hole)
    6. 1890's Howe-Orme mandolinetto (pressed top, oval hole)

7. And, just for fun, 1930's Regal Octofone (flat top, oval hole, octave mandolin stringing w/"octaved" 3rd & 4th courses.

I kinda like the oval hole sound, but the instruments are so diverse that it's hard to typecast any particular one. Never used one of my bowl-backs, and seldom a resonator instrument, though perhaps I snuck my Dobro in once or twice, just to sound "different."

I think any instrument can be made to work; it's the playing style -- open chording instead of "chopping," a more "continuous" style rather than emphasizing off-beats -- that makes the mandolin work in an old-time group or jam, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

While its true that most mandolins will work, if you happen to have some choices, some mandolins IMO fit a little better into different genres.

My personal opinion is that an arc top f hole instrument does not work as well as an oval hole or even better a flat top - in old time music. The reason is the arc top, especially f hole arch top, has such an iconic bluegrass sound that IMO it stick out a little in old time. And especially if the player has a tendency toward chop chords - it is not the best match.

In bluegrass and all the related Americana I think the arch top is great, even preferred, but in the narrow area of old-time, not as much.

I know that Bluegrass has its roots on old time, and maybe that helps explain why there is a slippery slope between old time and bluegrass. But to me bluegrass sounding mandolins, and bluegrass type improvisation pulls an old time jam away into bluegrass..
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

It's been a while since I've attended an OldTime jam in my area, but back when I was doing it more often, oval-hole paddle head vintage Gibsons were far more common than anything else. I remember one flat-top, I think it was a Mid Missouri/Big Muddy?

I'm in an area where you can't swing a cat without hitting a fiddler, so they tend to dominate OldTime jams. Between the fiddlers and a banjo or two, those old Gibson A's pretty much disappeared in the mix when the group was large enough. I could see them working in smaller gatherings. With fewer fiddlers.

Blog Entries

I don't want to give the impression I am anti arch top or anti gibson or anti anything. I love my A2 snake head and love its creamy sound. If its high lonesome you want I don't think there is a better mandolin. And by Stiver two point, it barks like a dog.

But the question really was about specific mandolins for old time, and the more old-timey orthodox the jam, the less either of those two mandolins seem the optimum choice.

I am very fortunate to have choices, and the best mandolin to play is the one in your hands, but to answer the OP specifically ...

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    I've made something of a study of this. In my experience "serious" old time players use oval hole paddle-head Gibsons, usually A style (rarely F, rarely snakeheads). This isn't exactly historically accurate as Gibsons were more expensive. Almost never do you see anyone playing a bowlback, although they were common way back when. As were less expensive flat tops. There are certainly also fine players nowadays who use F hole instruments and many jammers do. Strangely, at the old time camps I've been to, jams, and Clifftop I've never seen anyone play a long-necked (12th fret joint) oval hole such as Weber, Collings, Northfield, Pava etc make. The only people who care are...mandolin players. And you can play what you have/like. I use both an oval (most of the time) and an f-hole, the latter being somewhat better for large jams.
    This was how I understood things to begin with. Except I sort of assumed that more people would want to play the snakeheads, as I understand they are supposed to be the better sounding old Gibson A models?

Which brings me to another question: in general, one of the old oval-hole Gibsons seems to me like a lot of money for an instrument that might not be the best player? They don't all have truss rods, right? Etc.? That's why I asked about looks originally. I wondered if there was a historical re-enactment angle with the old Gibsons....

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ryspeer View Post
    Which brings me to another question: in general, one of the old oval-hole Gibsons seems to me like a lot of money for an instrument that might not be the best player? They don't all have truss rods, right? Etc.? That's why I asked about looks originally. I wondered if there was a historical re-enactment angle with the old Gibsons....
    Meet Mike Black: http://www.blackmandolins.com/index.html
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Check out Girouard Mandolins !

This was how I understood things to begin with. Except I sort of assumed that more people would want to play the snakeheads, as I understand they are supposed to be the better sounding old Gibson A models?
    Snakeheads in good, playable condition are expensive mandolins, so that may be part of it. Paddle-head Gibson A's were made in much higher volume, and can usually be found in decent playable condition for much less.

There may be a historical re-enactment element to this for some OldTime players. Also maybe an element of "One Downmanship" (opposite of One-Upmanship), not wanting to appear too fancy for playing a style of music associated with some of the more poor, backwater areas of the USA. Maybe that's one reason for the relative scarcity of things like Collings mandolins at OldTime jams, and not just the tone.

The one-downmanship only extends to instruments though. I know one OldTime player who plays that old Mid Missouri I mentioned, along with a beat-up fiddle, and arrives at the jam in a shiny Tesla model S.

I have to say, that I was never given the stink-eye for bringing my Lebeda F-style mandolin to a local OldTime jam. Most of the OldTime players I've met have been warm and welcoming to anyone interested in playing the music. It's similar to Irish traditional sessions, where there may be individual preferences in instruments, but one's personal choice doesn't matter that much.

26. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... old-timey orthodox ...
    Where ethics concerned with adherence to orthodoxy exist, "old-timey" would not be a prevalent practice. Imo, the "slippery slope" Jeff cites, rather, involves practices of stereotype, conformity, and ultimately consumerism - all aspects historically anathema to an "old-time" ethic.

But pressures for conformity to ideology appear everywhere - even in the traditional non-conformities of old-time music.

I wondered if there was a historical re-enactment angle with the old Gibsons....
    I think optics figure more dominantly than folks like to concede.

28. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Blog Entries

Which brings me to another question: in general, one of the old oval-hole Gibsons seems to me like a lot of money for an instrument that might not be the best player?
    What kind of music? My A2 is an oval hole, and while it is not perhaps my first choice for strict old time, that is not saying it is not the best player, or not preferred in other types of music. Its darn good where ever it is used.

The original question was specific to old-time. But most mandolin players don't play old time.

The entire staff
    funny....

When I think of playing old time music I only think of playing melody, not chopping chords, so I really can't think of anything that wouldn't work playing melody.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Conventional wisdom can be a wonderful thing. It keeps the price of paddlehead oval hole Gibsons nice and modest.

Truss rods? I've worked on dozens of these mandolins and I rarely see one with a warped neck. And only one or two that was severely warped.

Snake heads? Definitely an interesting look. Better sound? Not necessarily. As a matter of fact, many of the '20's mandolins are carved heavier than the 'teens models and have a bit slower response. But there's a legend that "if it was made during Loar's tenure, it must be better."

Not the best players? Try setting one up with frets that have a crown that is .080" wide and .040" high. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Meanwhile, those who like the sound of these fine old oval hole mandolins can continue to enjoy the modest prices.

Has much more to do with the music than the instrument. I play a modern A4 and an F5 interchangeably in old-time situations and if I get the stink eye it’s always coming from someone who’s looking to stink eye somebody. They have their own reasons and nobody else gives a damn. If you can play the tunes and use some common sense you’re good. I have to admit that the Black A4 is nearly perfect when the acoustic environment is optimal. Volume of the players is not the issue. Party atmosphere in the room can be.
    Mike Snyder

At our local old time jam, one regular uses a Clark F5. A few occasional visitors have a Collings, and a couple of different LaPlant F models.

A few of us have Gibson oval hole A's. Only one plays his regularly at the jam. Others that make regular appearances are a Big Muddy, a Flatiron pancake and a Kentucky KM-272. We have a lot more mandolins than most other jams. Not sure why. Of course, in many of those situations, I'll switch back to guitar.

After playing in this jam for 20 years, it's mostly the same instruments. I'm the one that switches the most. Everyone else gets one and stays with it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

35. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: