Thread: Sound System and 12V Phantom Power??

Default Sound System and 12V Phantom Power??

Through my searches I can find "Phantom Power" but nothing regarding "12V Phantom Power" ....

We're getting to the point of needing our own sound system rather than depending on a house system. I have the opportunity to purchase a fairly new Gear One PA2400" (at a very reasonable price). I have also recently purchased a pair of condenser mics and pencil mics (MXL990's and 993's). The Gear One system has a Phantom Power switch but it states "12V". Everything that I've researched indicates that condenser mics require "48V phantom power". Can anyone give me any insight on "12V phantom power"? I realize that I can purchase a separate Phantom power supply. But I'm curious about the "12V".

I'm fairly new to this "sound" thing, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'd also be interested in anyone's opinion on a decent entry level system (either a package type or components purchased separately). I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Any input would be very much appreciated.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Default Re: Sound System and 12V Phantom Power??

There are three standards for phantom power, 12, 24, and 48. I think the MXL 990 requires 48. The users manual should give that spec. I don't think that PA will work with those mics.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    There are three standards for phantom power, 12, 24, and 48. I think the MXL 990 requires 48. The users manual should give that spec. I don't think that PA will work with those mics.

Thanks ToyonPete .... So, would it be possible to use a separate 48V phantom power supply such as a ART, Marantz, Behringer, etc. with this Gear One? Or would that not be feasible given that the Gear One is all ready equipped with 12V?

Thanks
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks

Just turn off the phantom on the board and use an external phantom supply. 12 volts is most likely an older unit. There are some mic's and preamps that will work on 12 volts, but a lot of the newer is 48.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Just turn off the phantom on the board and use an external phantom supply. 12 volts is most likely an older unit. There are some mic's and preamps that will work on 12 volts, but a lot of the newer is 48.
    That was my thought. But given my limited knowledge of this, I wasn't confident that what makes sense to me is accurate or appropriate.

Thanks pops1.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks

Blog Entries

The correct range of phantom power needed by a microphone is dictated by the design of the mic: so-called 'true condensers' have an unpolarized back-plate and will typically require the full +48v. However, many modern 'condenser' mics feature a pre-polarized back-plate ('electret design') and these are normally happy on anything from 11-52V. Many of the well-regarded condenser mics from Audio Technica are of this type, for example. Simply check the paper spec for the mics in question. The MXL's require +48v, so if using these, turn phantom on your system off and you will need to insert a stand-alone phantom PSU that does provide +48v between the mics and the mixer.

Personally, I would avoid that combo mixer/amp system. It is not the best quality by a long way and is very limited and rather 'dated' by current standards. Instead, I'd get a separate mixer and a pair of powered speakers. This will be far more flexible and reliable in the long run, and will weigh a lot less too.... modern powered speakers mostly now use very potent but lightweight Class-D amplifiers on board as they don't use the heavy transformers or heat-sinks needed by 'old style' gear like the PA2400...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.