Thread: Resonator mandolins

Default Resonator mandolins

I recently saw a video of the Boulder Swing Collective, and the mandolinist is playing a National RM-1 resonator mandolin. I think that it sounds fantastic for the gypsy swing that they're doing, so of course I want one.
    the trouble is, i have nowhere near the money for one. The metal body Recording King reso mandolins are pretty affordable. The have a biscuit bridge like the National, so I'm wondering how much of a difference in tone their is between a wood body and a metal body instrument. I know that I'm not going to get the sound quality in a $400 instrument as a $2200 instrument, but how different are they. Since I don't know of anybody anywhere near me that has either one, does anyone have any experience with both wood and metal body resonator mandolins?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Resonator mandolins

I can't speak for the whole of the Cafe', but I think the consensus opinion here is that the Nationall RM-1 is in a different league than vintage resonators. And it's not just the metal vs. wood body, it's the overall quality, fit and finish, and freedom from hassles with buzzes and intonation that you get with an RM-1.

Vintage resonators can be sketchy... I say that as someone who had a small collection of vintage 1930's metal body Dobro guitars at one time, and still have one in the closet.

Also I wouldn't judge too much from that video. It's a great choice for a busking situation like that, to get enough volume with guitar and bass. But the audio quality isn't great. It sounds like there's a lowpass (high shelf) EQ or something on there, very muffled sounding. Or maybe those guys just haven't changed their strings in a few years. Search YouTube for more examples of the RM-1 to get a better idea of the tone.

Personally, I've thought about picking up an RM-1 (preferably used, to save a few bucks), because I play in loud Irish/Scottish sessions. But I've played one in a local store, and I'm not convinced I can get behind the tone. The one I played had gobs of volume, but lacked the "woody" and "sweet" tone of my current mandolin, which isn't actually all that woody and sweet as mandolins go anyway. A little too close to the tone of a banjo, even with flatwound strings for my ears.

That opinion may change over time. It's still about the only fretted instrument I might still pick up some day. Well, that and an F-style mandocello if I win the lottery or get named in a rich uncle's will.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have tried both and eventually purchased the RM-1.

The Recording King, and indeed every other resonator I tried, was way more metallic and brassy and, frankly, irritating. the National RM-1 is in a different class. Warm, woodish, not brassy or tinny, loud but not controllable... well I don't have to describe the sound to you, you know what I mean. You can find videos of an RK and you will immediately hear the difference.

I wasn't interested, particularly, in a rez, until I discovered the RM-1, and nothing I tried changed my mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've played one RM-1 and a few cheap metal bodied mando-resos. Though not exactly my cup of tea, the RM-1 definitely had it's charms - a unique tone that was pleasant, and also loud as hell. Every metal-bodied reso I've played has sounded awful. I'd say the wood makes worlds of difference.

I've seen used RM-1s for $1600. It's a lot more than $400, but a heck of a lot less than list price. Save up for one. They are worth it! I've got one and love it.

Foldedpath, come on over to the dark side. My RM1 sounds a bit "much" by itself at home, but in a good mid sized session with a box, fiddles, flutes, etc, the tone sort of rises and it sounds just right. What sounded harsh at home sounds warm and sweet (and loud) in the back of the pub.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

9. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

Teak 

Quote Originally Posted by liestman View Post
    Foldedpath, come on over to the dark side. My RM1 sounds a bit "much" by itself at home, but in a good mid sized session with a box, fiddles, flutes, etc, the tone sort of rises and it sounds just right. What sounded harsh at home sounds warm and sweet (and loud) in the back of the pub.
    Oh, believe me I'm tempted, with all this hanging out with Scottish pipers. It's just a financial limit that's stopping me. Have to repair the outside deck, paint the house this Summer, all that boring everyday stuff. My S.O. is first in line with a new bow for her fiddle too.

And yes, what sounds good at home, or doesn't, changes completely in a mix of other instruments. That's the acid test I haven't tried with a resonator mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I got lucky when a friend gave me this old 1930's era reso. I really like the sound. There was a similar one for sale in the classifieds last summer, around a grand IIRC. I had to modify the spider legs and plate cutout to fix the intonation on mine.

I own two 1930's vintage resonator mandolins, a wood-bodied Dobro with the spider bridge, and a steel-bodied National Triolian with the biscuit bridge. They're different as night and day. The Dobro's moderate volume, sweet and "ring-y" sounding with really long sustain, short-scale, mediocre fit and finish, needed a neck re-set The National's long-scaled, large-bodied, really loud and harsher sounding, with a "growl" and a "snarl" about it. I use the Dobro when I want a more ethereal sound, blending in with other stringed instruments. I use the National for bluesy stuff primarily, when I want a sound that cuts through the mix.

The new National RM-1 -- which I've only played briefly -- has a bit of both: nearly the volume of the old National, but with a shorter scale and less harshness. It still sounds more metallic, to my ears, than a "regular" mandolin, but still is recognizable as a wood-bodied instrument. Since the main resonating surface is still the aluminum cone, I would attribute its less "metal-y" sound to perhaps a different composition to the cone, and to the sound being reflected off wood rather than steel.

I can't say anything strongly positive about the Johnson/Republic/Recording King Asian resonator mandolins. They seem even harsher sounding than my old National, possibly because of the smaller body size, and the use of brass rather than steel in the bodies. There was some discussion that the ones labeled "Republic" were using a different type of cone that the others, and had a different sound, but I don't have enough experience with the different Asian brands to comment. I don't particularly care for their sound, but they are loud, and have a distinctive timbre that is audible and identifiable in an ensemble. They seem decently made, though they lack a truss rod, and I'm not a fan of the plastic headstock overlay, either. The tuners seem to work OK.

There is a wide price discrepancy between the RM-1 and the Asian instruments, as you've found. In your shoes, I'd save up for the National, but $2K+ is a lot to spend, IMHO. There aren't many used ones around, but might be worth waiting for one. Also, Stuart Wailing in the UK makes a guitar-bodied resonator mandolin for about $500, but you'd have to have it shipped...however, Bernunzio here in Rochester has a used Wailing for $495 on his website; might be worth a phone call...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Also, Stuart Wailing in the UK makes a guitar-bodied resonator mandolin for about $500, but you'd have to have it shipped...however, Bernunzio here in Rochester has a used Wailing for $495 on his website; might be worth a phone call...
    That instrument interests me and I *have* an RM-1!

https://bernunzio.com/product/wailing-resolin-23027/

Any thoughts on the described rise at the 12th fret? Any chance that you could swing by an do a little field research?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

15. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Teak 

I have played them, and I like the sound. Some put flat wound strings on to tame them down some. Still plenty of volume. You definitely don't have to work too hard to be heard.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Teak 

Rigel made one, used a Dobro spider bridge - cone type .. needed a bridge with offsets,

But, they used a flat one, so the intonation went out, up the neck..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    ...Any thoughts on the described rise at the 12th fret? Any chance that you could swing by an do a little field research?
    I'll see what I can do. Get back to you one way or another...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

20. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Great to see this thread started yesterday and today I received a used National RM-1 in the mail. That video posted in #1 by John Rosett is the one that also got me interested in the National. I think that Greg Schochet got a great sound out of that instrument in that video and the other one they posted (Sweet Georgia Brown).

BTW, what strings (brand, model) are you all using with your Nationals?

Also, I haven't spent much time with the mandolin yet, but the thicker pick that I use with my spruce-topped mandolins seems too heavy for the resphonic. Anyone using thinner picks for that reason?
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

22. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

I have grown to prefer GHS N270 Pure Nickel strings (not flatwound like I used to use) and a pick that is around 3/4mm thick - with a thicker pick I was getting too much of a thump or something. I think the RM1s being made in the last couple years or so (since the fixed the neck angle to allow some break over the bridge with the action adjusted low) are better (for that reason). Love mine.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I had a really nice vintage Style 2 National silver mandolin for many years. The big problem was the long scale -- I think it was about 15 inches. Very tinny sounding so I decided to go the blues route and tuned it down to E and octaves on the lower strings. Sounded pretty decent back then.

Then I tried the modern RM-1 and was amazed that it was sweet and loud. I finally lucked out trading for one and ended up selling my beautiful Style 2. You have to be aware that the RM-1 is super directional. I played mine in one old time jam and a good friend was sitting directly across a big circle from me and the sound went right through him.

Actually I was playing one once at Mandolin Brothers way in the back room and Stan came in to tell me to keep it down because they cod hear me in the front of the store. My only downside o the RM-1 to me personally is that the neck is 1-1/4" at the nut which is a hair wide for my playing, tho i can get used to it if I need to.

I did notice that the RM-1's seem to be going up in price lately. I think the new price is around $2600. Also, you don't see them for sale even new all that often and used even less, so if you really want one don't wait round, snap it up if you can.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I use John Pearse 80/20 in a medium gauge .011, .014, .025, .035.

It is the kind of strings that came on it, and I love the sound too much to mess with success, so I have been replacing in kind.

Yea it is loud and yea it is directional. You can aim the thing.

With great power comes great responsibility. I have to play softly to sound normal when in a jam circle with it. The advantage being I can play faster when playing softly. I use it to play in the band at outdoor contra dances. It can be heard in the back.

Actually volume by itself is not the point. Its the dynamic range of the thing makes it so attractive. Playing alone on a stage I can be very expressive, from a great ballad right down to an intimate whisper, and be heard at all those levels.

Of course you can kill a fly across the room with the mighty F#m chord. Boom.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Teak 

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully, some day i'll get to play one of those Nationals...
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Some put flat wound strings on to tame them down some. Still plenty of volume.
    Great tip and one that I had not thought of.

I have owned several resonator mandolins. The RM1, the Johnson/Republic/Recording Kings and even a custom made wood body; and I agree that the RM1 is in a class by itself (although the custom was as good or better?). The problem I've always had with resomandos is that the "novelty" of having one wears off quickly with me; and they end up moving on? That said, I would explore resomandos by purchasing one of the Asian models (used are pretty cheap) to see how you like it? If it sticks, then put out the big bucks and get an RM1 or custom build?
    Thanks for your support?

I've tried an RM-1 at NAMM and own a Republic.

Aside from being very heavy, I didn't like the scale length and string spacing on the RM-1. Price is also stratospheric and my opinion of the company is rather low given my interactions with them at NAMM.

The Republic is a bit different from the other "Asian" reso's in that it has a truss rod. I also prefer the longer scale-length and wider string spacing. The sound is more "plunky/banjo" than metallic to my ears but it does have a very cool metallic shimmer I quite enjoy.

While many recommend an expensive cone replacement for the Asian's, I found redoing the bridge was all that's required to wake these things up. Stock bridges use a soft wood so changing to a more correct ebony/maple recipe along with a proper setup is all it takes.

And while this isn't every ones cuppa, I have no problem cutting and drilling my cheap Republic to add pickups. I wouldn't do this to an expensive RM-1 so the added cost, again significant (cost of another mandolin), of electrifying one is also a consideration.

I added a piezo under the bridge and the Lace humbucker on the cover plate. Given mine is a "reso-relic" finish, a few extra scrapes and scratches just add to the patina IMHO. It's so convincing I've had people come up and ask me if it's a vintage instrument!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-1.JPG 
Views:	394 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	165040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-2.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	165041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-3.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	165042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-4.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	1,005.3 KB 
ID:	165043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-5.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	165044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-6.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	165045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RepublicMandolian-7.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	165046
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully, some day i'll get to play one of those Nationals...
    That one in the classifieds might have your name on it.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I use John Pearse 80/20 in a medium gauge .011, .014, .025, .035.

It is the kind of strings that came on it, and I love the sound too much to mess with success, so I have been replacing in kind.
    I tried mine for awhile with the original strings as above but found that I preferred lighter gauge. I think I have Elixir lights on it which I also use on my bandolims. They work for me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

My RM-1, with its usual flatwound strings, is my “go-to” mandolin for Irish and Scottish sessions. Its tone is sweet and loud at the same time and you can easily lead a set in a big session with this instrument. It is pretty universally admired by the other musicians in the sessions. I personally find the scale length, neck width and string spacing perfect for my needs. I’ve had a few interactions with the team at National Resophonic and have always found them responsive and very helpful. I acknowledge of course that other peoples’ preferences and experiences may well be different to my own.

As a resonator mandolin the RM-1 is in a class of its own, even above other modern high-end wooden-bodied resonator mandolins that I’ve tried. Unfortunately, mine is away for some periodic servicing at the moment but at least I’m pleased to have other excellent alternatives to use in the meantime at sessions.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That one in the classifieds might have your name on it.
    Are you referring to this one?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/121071#121071
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5