Thread: Reducing weight without reducing stiffness.

Default Reducing weight without reducing stiffness.

I'm wondering if anyone can throw out some tips on what you do when you want to reduce the mass of the back plate while "trying" to maintain the stiffness. This is with the backplate already glued to the rim. I'm not sure if that's even possible once the shape of the arch had been decided. Where do you shave wood from to accomplish this?

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: Reducing weight without reducing stiffness.

Forgive my ignorance but with a maple backplate being as stiff as it naturally is, why is this a worry? Especially if you feel you have enough thickness that you want to reduce mass. I have thinned (scraped and sometimes sanded) backplates while on the instruments to try to increase the volume and bass response with varying degrees of success. It's a little nerve wracking though.
    Peace

Default Re: Reducing weight without reducing stiffness.

At one time I shaped braces like I-beams in an effort to accomplish this. If you have enough height in the braces & can get to them adequately, you could shape a small scraper appropriately & make the sides of the braces concave longitudinally. I think that would reduce mass more than it reduced stiffness. Just a thought......

Good luck - Earl Tyler