Thread: Language to Describe Sound

Default Language to Describe Sound

A lot of terms are used to describe the different tones of mandolins and often to describe the general sound of certain builds and brands. I was wondering if y'all could help me find the verbiage to describe that... deep sound in certain mandolins like Collings and Eastman. When I say deep I mean, it almost sounds like the notes are resonating from a larger bodied instrument. What causes that sound in mandolins and what builds and brands besides Collings capture it?

I dunno if I am making any sense language wise. Please feel free to school me for my ignorance. Thank you!

Default Re: Language to Describe Sound

Hollow? Scooped? Tubby? Big? Boomy? Dry? Woody? Etc..

The best way to describe sound to someone is to play the instrument for them. Words seem to mean different things to different folks and we all have different ears, so all is subjective.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

All I know is that virtually every mandolin on ebay sounds "sweet" and/or "woody".
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

That sound is not just inherent in quality mandolins, but also in quality guitars, fiddles, banjos (yeah, I said it!), and basses, and probably most other instruments. That quality is different from a descriptive tone, per se. A rosewood instrument may have a lusher tone where a mahogany one may be more fundamental and woody, but both express quality. The best I can do is express that as a deepness of tone. Low quality instruments often express a superficial, boxy tone. Higher quality instruments have a deeper, more expressive tone.

It helps to possess florid and emotional language. For example in Asian music song titles are like "moon rising over misty mountain in late autumn," etc

Much, if not vastly most, of our experience involves object relations, but connecting with processes and states beyond the overt yields descriptiors/referents/symbols that assume and evoke much more. Possibly why our descriptions may become hackneyed and cliche. What is The Word for "experience"?

How can we distill Sound to but a word?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Woody - or boxy? What if it sounds like a wooden box? What if it sounds like boxwood?

I'm all in for using words, and any and all else, metaphorically and otherwise, btw - only that, as with everything as breadth expands, so must language.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I remember walking past SOMEONE'S new Rolls Royce auto some years ago. I was struck by its finish. It looked like you'd have to dig about 6 inches through the clear coat before you got to the real colored paint. I was shiny and beautiful!

Good instruments strike me the same way. Bad instruments sound like the thin sound is coming directly off the surface of the instrument and it seems somewhat trite. Good instruments sound like the tone is coming from 'somewhere way down deep' in the instrument and sound complex and interesting.

That's how I hear and say it.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Some of the words I use to describe my mandolins are "complex overtones, resonant, clear, bell-like, crisp." I don't think any of my mandolins sound "woody" or "boxy." I have a Pava, a Weber, and a Collings. And I love all of their sounds, and they all sound different.