Thread: Keeping Tail Pins In

Default Keeping Tail Pins In

What's a good way to keep tail pins securely in place, yet still removable?

I like to use a sling when I play, so I want to keep the tail pin very secure. What I presently do is put a little violin bow rosin on it and that holds it pretty well, and it's only ever slipped out once on a day it was exceptionally dry. But I'd like to find a way to ensure it never comes out unless I want it to.

I was contemplating putting a single, tiny drop of wood glue on it to lock it in place, but even that minuscule amount might hold it more securely than I want. Odds are I'll ever want to take it out, but you never know.

What are your tips and tricks?

Default Re: Keeping Tail Pins In

While you're waiting for answers why not take a look through these past discussions. There were a few.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Mine constantly slips out - I have been advised to tape some chamois leather or similar to hold it in place but I am concerned about wedging it in there too much.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

My guess is if it slips out a lot the taper of the pin is not the same as the taper of the hole. Might look to getting it fitted or a new one and fit it by reaming the hole to the same taper as the pin, or visa versa.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Mine has only ever slipped out once, during a sudden humidity drop, but I don't like imperfection. I wish the mando world would get past the "because it's traditional" phase and fit these things in properly. It seems to me the best thing to do would be to do away with the end pin altogether and cast an end pin directly onto the tailpiece. Or permanently set a bushing into the end pin hole and use a screw-in end pin.

Tie a "safety" in , a thin thong through a hole in the lower strap and through the lower tailpiece,,I get occasional pin pullout and that safety comes in handy...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

A turn or two of blue painter's tape around the end pin will do the trick without permanent alteration.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

9. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    A turn or two of blue painter's tape around the end pin will do the trick without permanent alteration.

C.
    Fingernail polish or super glue also helps, let it dry before putting the pin back in.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    ....I wish the mando world would get past the "because it's traditional" phase and fit these things in properly....
    If you truly feel this way, why do you not want to glue the pin?

In any case, remove the pin, paint the non-exposed part with superglue. Let it dry COMPLETELY. Sand the part you painted till it fits perfectly. Repeat steps until it's perfect.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    While you're waiting for answers why not take a look through these past discussions. There were a few.
    Surprising how often that question is asked!

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Tie a "safety" in , a thin thong through a hole in the lower strap and through the lower tailpiece,,I get occasional pin pullout and that safety comes in handy...
    Got a safety tied, for now. I think eventually I'll make a bushing and new pin and fit it in properly.

I just stuck a little bit of artist's tape around the peg part of the tail and when I slotted it back in it was very snug indeed. I gave it a few light tugs and it is in place, but can also be removed if necessary. I don't know why I didn't do that a year ago, the way it falls out all the time has been extremely annoying!
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

This old post shows two of my favorite solutions. One is Weber's unique hardware store design and the other shows Hans Brentrup's safety loop.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I had the pin hammered in tight by a luthier. I don't want it to be easily removable. Why would you want to ever remove it?

Has happened to me three times. Once on my Silverangel just in from somewhere way drier than NC...caught it, no damage, and with Carolinas humidity hasn’t been an issue since. Another time when my Taylor 714’s screwed out...caught it, no damage, and now check the end pin every time I put the strap on. Then there was the time my strap slipped off the end pin of my G and L Tele...music in one hand, tuner and beverage in the other. Slammed off the polished concrete basement floor and chipped the Hades out of my lower bout. Now have a locking strap system in place on that one, and am paranoid about this issue, so always have at least one hand on my instruments...

A little blue painter’s tape and some basic humidity can go a long way towards keeping you from slipping. Be vigilant, Cliff!!

Btw, the Tele took the trauma like a champ, and is still my favorite electric guitar...great bang for the buck, the G and L line...NFI, yada yada...
    Chuck

I only know one guaranteed solution. That is to always keep a conscious grip on the instrument. Don't trust the end pin or the strap, no matter what you do to fix them in place.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

20. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Tom - I couldn't agree more. Not only for that reason,but as we know,mandolins are a tad 'headstock heavy' & tend to nose dive if we're not careful. That can lead to damage,so i personally always keep hold of the neck.

My own solution was to use my wife's fingernail 'varnish (clear), as a not very strong glue. I painted a drop on,inserted the pin while the varnish was still wet & it stuck firmly. A few days later,i used a pair of pliers with the jaws covered in masking tape,to give the pin a sharp twist. It easily broke the 'glue' & i removed the pin. I gave it another dab of varnish & reinserted it - it's never come loose again in 10 years,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I use PTFE tape on one of mine.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

23. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post: