Thread: help with Gibson

Default help with Gibson

Anyone know anything about a 2006 Gibson F5G Master? Value etc. Im very new and saw one for sale but a bit pricey but if a good deal then may consider it.

Default Re: help with Gibson

What do they want for it. They're high.

I can get it for around 3k. its a bit pricey for me but id never need buy another mando!

That mandolin would have been made in Nashville pre-flood I think. That period has a good reputation. I would call 3k fair market value, not a screaming bargain but not gouging either. That would be only if it’s in excellent condition with its original case, or an upgraded case. I would definitely play it first. And, depending on how anxious the seller is, try to bargain down. After all, you are buying from an individual, not a store. There could be hidden defects. Hairline cracks. Loose braces. Who knows? Caveat emptor. When you buy used from a store you usually get a period of time to be sure of your purchase. When you buy from the Cafe Classifieds, you usually get 48 hr. approval. When you buy from some guy in a parking lot, you have no assurances of any kind.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

G7MOF 

Quote Originally Posted by jim1966 View Post
    I can get it for around 3k. its a bit pricey for me but id never need buy another mando!
    That's what I said when I bought my Dearstone. That was 16 years and about 8 mandolins ago. Oh I still have the 'Stone also the other 8.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

...I'd never need buy another mando!
    Yeah, right. Wish I had a buck for every time I've said that..."this is the last one, for sure"...it's not what you need to buy, it's what you can't live without (for whatever reason).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

G7MOF 

When I get MAS for something I play my mandolin and think it most likely won't sound this nice. I've still bought a half dozen or so.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

Here's some real help for Jim-- The F5-G's that I have played were really not very good mandolins at all. Some folks may disagree with me, but we did a blind test at my local music store last year with an early 2000's F-5G, a nice Weber F-5, and an Eastman 515. The Weber and the Eastman beat the Gibson hands down. Save your money for a better mandolin.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Here's some real help for Jim-- The F5-G's that I have played were really not very good mandolins at all. Some folks may disagree with me, but we did a blind test at my local music store last year with an early 2000's F-5G, a nice Weber F-5, and an Eastman 515. The Weber and the Eastman beat the Gibson hands down. Save your money for a better mandolin.
    As they say, the plural of anecdote is not data. The F5G has been manufactured for thirty years between Montana and Nashville under the watchful eyes of everyone from Steve Carlson and Bruce Weber then to Dave Harvey now. I think it's a bit unfair to use a blind experience of one early 2000's F5G to impugn the quality of all F5G's ever manufactured.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

The Gibson has a wider nut and bit longer fret board than mine which i like a lot since I have terribly long hands. it sure did play like butter for me but as I said i am really a newbie and have very little experience. As far as tone it sounded beautiful. I am kinda looking for something that has a bit of a bark but also has that sweet tone as well.

The Gibson has a wider nut and bit longer fret board than mine which i like a lot since I have terribly long hands. it sure did play like butter for me but as I said i am really a newbie and have very little experience. As far as tone it sounded beautiful. I am kinda looking for something that has a bit of a bark but also has that sweet tone as well.
    It is really all about what you like. If it makes you want to play because you like it, then it could be the one for you. We all like different things here and when it comes down to sound and feel only one opinion is important.

What pops1 said but don't assume you'll never find something you think you like better. Also bear in mind that one mandolon doesn't necessarily sound better than another just different so one is unlikely to be enough. Some fourteen mandolins later .............. (Continued P.94)

Blog Entries

Normally, F5-G's are a pretty good bet. Not to say that there may not be the odd sub-par example out there, but with the right setup they are normally very good to excellent instruments. Setup is really important. There was one I encountered where someone had messed with the bridge. It did not sound too great. However, after a new Cumberland Acoustics bridge was correctly fitted it was transformed, a really fine mandolin.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Teacher, repair person

I knew my post would not please some people.

A lot of folks buy or don't buy instruments just because they have a certain name or model number or shape or color. Gibson has made a lot of very good mandolins, a lot of mediocre mandolins, and quite a few bad ones. As have other companies.

You have to judge each instrument by its own merits. To do that, you have to play a lot of instruments and disregard everything except the sound and feel of each individual instrument. Don't assume that an instrument is good because it has a well known name on it, or because it has a certain reputation that may or may not last, or may or may not deserve.

A trip to a store such as Gruhn's, with a large stock of mandolins, both old and new, can be very informative. Play everything in sight without regard to name, model, or age. Beware, your opinions about instruments might change drastically.

As far as jim1966's original question, $3000 gives you a lot of options. Play a lot of instruments and see which one sounds and feels the best. Maybe the F-5G you asked about will be the right mandolin for you, maybe not. But if you assume a certain make or model of instrument is going to be the best instrument for you, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I've made that mistake a couple of times. Take your time and follow your ears and your hands. Enjoy the hunt.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if it's properly setup and frets in tune, your ears can normalize to any mandolin - i.e., make that, "The Best."

Pithy comment, pheff - I'm stealing it. Citation to who?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

<>
    "Don't spend $3000 on this instrument without examining it and playing it" - good advice

"Don't spend $3000 on this instrument, because Gibson F5Gs are lousy" - not so good advice

Of course the plain truth of the whole thing is, if you try it and like it, fine pay your money take your mandolin home and enjoy it, if you try it and it leaves you cold, walk away.
    Why is it that these threads seem to go on and on ad nauseum?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The bridge is so important to the sound. I had a mandolin, I won't mention the builder, but well known here. It didn't sound as good as I would have liked. I made a new saddle, still didn't like it. I put it up for sale and while waiting for the check I decided to make another saddle, different piece of wood. WOW I wanted to send the money to hold it back and pay him to let me keep it. The transformation was amazing. One piece of wood may sound different than another, we all know that in any instrument and it is so with bridge/saddle wood too.

"Here's some real help for Jim." Wow, sure glad you came along just in the nick of time to save poor Jim!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Yep, when you tell somebody an Eastman sounds better than their $3000 Gibson, that might ruffle a few feathers........

Well, I've got one better than that -- I've told the story many times on this forum -- I measure all mandolins against an old Harmony that I played at a Flea Market. Lordy, it was a sweet sounding thing! They only wanted $30 or $35 bucks for it and I didn't have the money on me. I remember it was a Sunday and the banks were closed. It was also 35+ years ago and there were no ATM's, either. No cells phones to call a friend, either! Anyway, I just had to walk away from that wonderful sound knowing it would haunt me forever. Well, it hasn't been forever, but 35+ years is pretty close. I've played thousands of mandolins since and owned a bunch, too -- but nothing has ever come close to that sound that I still have in my mind. And sure, the experts will discount my claim stating that a Harmony can never sound as good as a Gibson, but I know what I heard. There is a lesson there, somewhere, but I never really figured out what it was, though....

How about, "most people would be very happy with a $3000 Gibson, even though somewhere there is a Harmony floating around that might sound even better, at least to Jeff Mando's ears?"

26. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

mee 

Please ley me clarify. I saw the gibson liked the sound and especially liked the wider nut and length of neck. mine is a bit narrow for me but i am a novice so maybe will get used to it. i thought if it was an especially good deal i would consider buying it. im really not stuck on gibson as much as i am sound and size of neck.

Please ley me clarify. I saw the gibson liked the sound and especially liked the wider nut and length of neck. mine is a bit narrow for me but i am a novice so maybe will get used to it. i thought if it was an especially good deal i would consider buying it. im really not stuck on gibson as much as i am sound and size of neck.
    Yes, if you have played the instrument and like it, $3000 for a used F5G is a pretty good deal. Just to provide some background, here are some new examples (varying in details, which accounts for the price differences):

$6999 new at The Mandolin Store:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...ore-exclusive/

$5799 new at Musician's Friend
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...-f-5g-mandolin
    Last edited by jesserules; Feb-11-2018 at 9:59pm.

If you have played it, and you like it, feel and sound, and you are looking to buy a new mandolin. What are you waiting for?