Thread: Vintage Case handles

Default Vintage Case handles

This is a bit of a product review, for a modern replacement case handle that I found from another Cafe member, Mark Lynch. He advertised it in the classifieds, and I took a chance at getting one from his picture. I have no financial interest here and I am just informing all about the product.

Very well made, and given a little wear, it will blend into any vintage case. I was very pleased with the quality of the stitching and leather. No plastics. really nice black leather, with nice tight stitching.

I have had many vintage cases over the years, and the majority of them have needed to have the handles replaced. Often I have resorted to ebay, which is hit or miss, and usually the handle is of uncertain origin, and variable quality. I have indeed found good products, but it is a crap shoot. Here is a handle, made locally, to high standards for all of us with vintage cases that need help.

I would love to hear of any additional sources that folks might have .... case handles have always been a challenge to find... at least handles that approach the looks of the originals. Often I have settled for those that have the big buckles that make them adjust able to the D rings.... these are so much more "original" looking.
    John D

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vintage Case handles

Of ones I have checked out (at least online) Ohio Travel Bag seems like it has quite a supply of all sorts of manufactured handles as well as other hardware. Most of these would apply to luggage as well as musical instrument cases. I linked to the handle section only. I didn't look through the current offerings though to see what would match vintage case handles. I will leave that up to you.

Here's another place, Brettuns Village, that also supplies vintage handle replacements. They even have a few pics of instrument cases.

I haven't seen Mark Lynch's handles but it would be good to know of him.

I have had handles attached by luggage repair places but that is when I liuved in New York City and I am not sure that any of those places still exist.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Feb-09-2018 at 6:01pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Can you post a picture of the handle? I generally buy them off a guy of eBay or pick up a cheaper softshell case from the 30's and salvage them for the handle. Cafe member Loudloar has described making them from scratch a few times.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Can you post a picture of the handle? I generally buy them off a guy of eBay or pick up a cheaper softshell case from the 30's and salvage them for the handle. Cafe member Loudloar has described making them from scratch a few times.
    Search Mark Lynch in the Classifieds. The handles look pretty good.

Yes, they do look good and reasonably priced. Mark Lynch ad. I have a feeling the places I linked to above might only sell wholesale. Not sure.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KYQg1pgsvC9ruogwXmb8ErLkMkx7nEpjVNk1M1A42eg-1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	164791Here are some of his pics of a few of his handles....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uMyajdIwG7HzzlSAdIyVVBQoGis8vPBn6uXQePFYZNQ.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	164789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0fNE3KI1MfwINk_wcXCG0Xsikax0ZxDOoxZR2sHwLw.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	164790

Like I had mentioned above, they are about as vintage looking as I have come across.
    John D

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Thanks John and everyone for the kind words about the replacement handles, the response has been very good. I tried for years to locate decent handles for my vintage cases and am very excited to be able to fix my own cases and to fill the needs of others! I’ve provided a few to owners of Loar instruments as well as others in the US and GB, so far everyone seems very pleased.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/121398#121398

Just to clarify, the pictures in the previous posting. The one with the plaid background is my handle, the other two are actual old handles.

I just got a new batch so if you need one I’m happy to help you. I want to be careful to maintain the separation between the forum and the classified so hope it is alright to link the ad here. I think it is more of a service to our community and far from a moneymaker.

Scott, please correct this if I am outside the bounds.

Name:	0DE5C352-2BF8-40CA-91EA-822CB093A4C9.jpeg 
Views:	209 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	165360

Mark
    Mark Lynch

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkELynch For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Very Nice Work Mark, I will be getting some of these!

I got a buckle on one thru my local shop they have 2 versions,, depending on the orientation needed..

did not cost much , which made it budget friendly..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks Mandroid, I’ve seen those strap on emergency handles and while they are perfectly suitable they never looked right, the case looks repaired. My handles replace the function and look of the original and are inexpensive at only $27.50 plus mailing. The best part is that no riveting is needed. Just spread the old D-ring open with a snap ring pliers, remove the old handle and replace it with the new one and then squeeze the D-rings closed again with a pair of padded pliers. Here are a few photos of the installation process. It usually takes less than 15 minutes.

Name:	996C68F6-E8CD-44DB-856A-33139CF0746D.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	773.0 KB 
ID:	165426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BB06C11-FEAB-46F5-8287-D687559BDAFB.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	165427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	655A1675-1D1B-468A-8510-BAC1CA5D1103.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	557.9 KB 
ID:	165428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4AE39085-886C-4DB3-99F3-C38CC9D6DD46.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	618.4 KB 
ID:	165429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1579026A-219A-4F13-BE04-AA209C089E4F.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	579.1 KB 
ID:	165430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E64174E-473D-43AC-B65A-D37D469CBACB.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	619.7 KB 
ID:	165431
    Mark Lynch

Well, I went the route of replacing a handle on a non-vintage case with one of Mark's; namely, that of a Mark Leaf case. The photo and description looked like it might work and sure enough, the replacement handle works like a charm and is a big improvement over the original handle. Easy to spread the existing clasps on the Leaf to remove the old and fit the new (didn't even need the included D rings); it's comfy, well-fitted and sharp-looking. Thanks, Mark!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaf_Handle1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	166375  

Thanks Alan, it I sent good to know that the handles fit a Mark Leaf case as well as the vintage mandolin and banjo cases.

I have a few more handles available in the Cafe classifieds if anyone needs one for their vintage case.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Lynch

Mark I was just given a 1915 Gibson H2 Mandola. in its original case. The leather handle is still attache to one side but is no longer stitched together. Can you build a replacement? Cost? you can email me at michaelveselica@gmail.com if you need a picture. Thanks Michael Veselica

Mike: this thread is almost 5 years old. Hopefully Mark still checks it but I seem to recall that he may not be making replacement handles any more ... don't quote me on that. Also, if you are on Facebook, there is a vintage case group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...nstrumentcases

You might post your query there as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: