Thread: Right Hand Problem with New Mandolin

Default Right Hand Problem with New Mandolin

I've recently had the opportunity to acquire a really amazing mandolin. However, I find that I'm struggling with right hand technique in a way I haven't before. Something about the way this instrument is configured makes it so that I have a hard time picking in the sweet spot just below the fretboard without damping the strings a bit with the heel of my palm. I have a McClung armrest on the instrument (I have used these armrests with all of my mandolins), but I find myself wishing it held my forearm higher off the top of the instrument. I should note that this mandolin has a flat fretboard (I'm primarily used to radius) and a pickguard (which I've never played with before). I've tried a bit of planting my pinky to try to keep my palm away from the strings, but I'm not used to this technique and it feels pretty awkward (and I'm not very good with it at this point).

Any insights or tips?

Thanks a lot!
    Thane Glenn

Default Re: Right Hand Problem with New Mandolin

You may have to adjust your playing for this particular mandolin. Try taking off the pickguard. I would think that that would affect your right hand more than a radius fretboard. No one says you have to play with a pickguard.

The only thing that usually affect my playing for some reason is the width of the fretboard. I prefer 1-1/8". I have one that is 1-1/4" and that throws me off. A thicker neck doesn't bother me much.

BTW is there any reason you don't want to tell us what brand mandolin you acquired?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

It’s hard to guess withour seeing you in action, but my initial reaction is to say I’d try angling the mandolin neck out from the left side of your body a bit more, to see if that relaxes the right shoulder & forearm. If you’re not trying to reach around the mandolin then you should be able to control the wrist and forearm more. Try to carry no weight of the upper arm which should allow you to let your elbow drop to your side and give more control.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Thanks for the thoughts! It's a Nugget A5 Jr (#277). I didn't consciously omit that info, but maybe subconsciously I didn't want to say anything that might reflect badly on the instrument. Certainly nothing wrong with the mandolin--just my technique in relation to it. I've been thinking about removing the pickguard. It's so beautiful (a wonderfully crafted piece of ebony) that I have wanted to really give it a fair shot playing with it on, but tone and playability trump all else, so I'll probably decide to take it off soon. Thanks!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Thane, judging from your post, you're already doing what you need to do - experimenting with adjustments to your playing style and technique. Honestly, that's the most important thing and that will carry you through. Just know that when you start to experiment (ex. "pinky planting" or "floating palm off the strings/bridge" or removing pickguard) your willingness to try a new technique will invariably be clumsy and not well executed at first. IMO it's usually unreasonable to think you can make a technique adjustment and pull it off immediately. So I'd say to keep experimenting, playing and practicing, and the less you worry about it the better. Your body will find the necessary micro-adjustments over time if you're not afraid to experiment and consequently to struggle a bit from time to time.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

Maybe you're more conscious of the sweet spot now, and wasn't always playing that close to it before?

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Thanks! I'll try angling the neck out more and see if that helps.

With this particular mandolin, I am picking closer to the end of the fretboard than I am accustomed to doing, simply because it makes such a notable difference in tone.

Follow-up... Just to see what it would do, I cut a piece of Styrofoam and taped it to the top of my McClung armrest to see how it might change the feel of playing, and it actually made a huge difference. Is there anyone who makes custom armrests that might be able to craft one that sits extra high off the mandolin? Would the leverage of the extra height put too much pressure on the clamp? On some other Café threads, I've seen Spencer Oliver and Dan Voight mentioned, but I didn't see anything about possibilities of different heights. Thoughts? Thanks a lot!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Time to sell. To me. For cheap

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

*I'm not trying to sell anything here*
    I've made a couple of extra tall armrests for my personal use because my McClung felt too short. I had the same observation as you as to dampening the strings.
    One of them I accidentally sold with the mandolin it was on. The guy who bought it messaged me to say he really liked it and asked where I got it. That's why I made the second one: to replace the one I accidentally sold.
    I made them from a cherry board my brother had cut years earlier. The board is about an inch thick, so that's how tall it is compared to about 1/2" for the McClung.
    It was pretty easy to make. I'm sure you could do it. Only tools I used were a jigsaw and a dremel-type carver fitted with sanding drum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest4.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	698.5 KB 
ID:	165399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest1.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	563.9 KB 
ID:	165400 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest2.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	165401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest5.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	165402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest8.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	165403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rest6.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	440.3 KB 
ID:	165404
    Last edited by Steve VandeWater; Feb-26-2018 at 7:09am.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!