Thread: Sam Bush playing with John Oates... Yes, Darryl's old partner...

Default Sam Bush playing with John Oates... Yes, Darryl's old partner...

I find myself free this weekend and see that John Oates is playing in town and his band features Sam Bush... Anyone catch this lineup at any point? I guess Oates' solo career has been more traditional americana/roots rock.

Default Re: Sam Bush playing with John Oates... Yes, Darryl's old partne

Wasn't Daryl a tenor guitar player?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Not a big surprise.

John Oates started out as a folk and blues player, and cites Doc Watson and Mississippi John Hurt as primary influences. Hall and Oates have had mandolin, mandola, and mandocello on several of their albums and have toured with a more-or-less acoustic band on many occasions. The great Irish fiddler Eileen Ivers toured with them for a while.

I'm guessing it's a fun gig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darylh-acoustic.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	164770
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I'm not sure of the details, but Harry Tuft (of Denver Folklore Center who nurtured and mentored so many artists such as Tim O'Brien, Charles Sawtelle, and the other members of Hot Rize, Spencer Bohren, and so many more) recently arranged a return of one of Mississippi John Hurt's guitars to John Oates. John Oates had some connection with the guitar as well as with Mississippi John Hurt. Maybe someone else has the additional details. Anyway, apparently John Oates has some pretty strong roots in folk and blues.

I'm going to see him this Sunday. Oates's new album, "Arkansas" apparently hits heavily on old blues and down South country. I believe there is a Jimmie track on the album. I saw him a few years back as a guest for Jerry Douglas. I was having a great time hearing him play some Hall and Oates material. As I left the venue, someone tapped me on the shoulder and said, "I saw you were having a good time." Sure enough it was John Oates. I didn't realize Sam Bush was playing with him.

It’s easy to lose how good both of those guys were in the “pop,” but the fact that Sam will tour with him is validating, IMHO. I mean, a job is a job, but Mr. Bush, I would hope, is able to have some discretion (Love his music). Even H and O’s poppy stuff had some bluesy soul to it. Bet it’s a fun show!
    Chuck

I just read an article about John Oates new LP (I think it in the American Songwriter magazine). He originally wanted to do an album of just Mississippi John Hurt tunes, but later changed the concept to be blues based with a heavy dose of Mississippi John Hurt songs.

===========

It's hard to describe - but when I saw Hall & Oates back in the early 80's I could tell that Oates was a 'serious' musician . . . he just didn't look like he really cared about the hype and the glory, he just looked like he wanted to play. It's good to hear that he's doing what he loves.

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    I'm not sure of the details, but Harry Tuft (of Denver Folklore Center who nurtured and mentored so many artists such as Tim O'Brien, Charles Sawtelle, and the other members of Hot Rize, Spencer Bohren, and so many more) recently arranged a return of one of Mississippi John Hurt's guitars to John Oates. John Oates had some connection with the guitar as well as with Mississippi John Hurt. Maybe someone else has the additional details. Anyway, apparently John Oates has some pretty strong roots in folk and blues.
    I believe the guitar that Harry Tuft brokered for John Oates is the one discussed in this article:

http://guildguitars.com/john-oates-o...-prized-guild/

There's some information about his recent album in this article:

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2017/12/j...lbum-arkansas/