Thread: Andy Wood

Default Andy Wood

I'd never heard of Andy Wood, but wow, this is impressive:

https://www.facebook.com/crackingthe...Mg&pnref=story

My question: how do you think one would go about approaching something like his right-hand technique? Try as I might, I can't get anything like the loose wrist/stationary forearm he has. It seems to me the key is where he has his arm anchored, but I can't tell where that it is. Ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Andy Wood

Small movements. The smaller, the better.

I think the key is that he doesn't think about an "anchor" at all. I play pretty much exactly like him (but not as good). I've played guitar, mandolin and saxophone for 20 years and no teacher ever taught me to "anchor" myself to the instrument. Not the pinkie, not the side of my hand, not my forearm -- nothing.

My personal opinion is, keep the loose (but closed) fist and focus on moving the pick only as much as needed to strike the note you're trying to play. If that's too difficult to begin, then go the opposite way: Try strumming open chords with a loose arm. Get a feel for it, and then start to refine the boundaries of your movement.

Don't worry about an anchor! Anchors only drag you down.

3. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

His main anchor is the inside of his forearm as it presses against the edge of the mandolin. This gives him a 3 dimensional reference.
    Some people feel that having an armrest in that position is helpful for the same reason as well as comfort. I am in that camp.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

5. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Thanks, Phil and Drew. And yes, it does seem like the only thing connecting him to the mandolin is his right forearm (right below the elbow, I'd guess), right at the edge of the mandolin.

The other thing I'm finding useful in this video is his pick hold, and the camera angle that lets us see precisely how he holds it. He has his thumb further down the pick than I tend to hold it (notice the amount of pick visible above his thumb). I've been playing around with that hold, and I like it. Though, I think I need more wiggle if I want to get a good tremolo.

I like his approach. I try to do similar but, compared to AW, I am in slow motion. He is also super clean in even his speed-picking. St some point, at the upper speeds, mine get sloppy.

Interesting video, but i like his explaining his approach. The iPhone attached to show the right hand seemed useless to me, with, perhaps, the exception mentioned above of how he holds his pick.

Frankly, I probably would not use the actual riff unless I started playing rock or jazz, though the technique would work in classical, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Andy is one of the reasons I've taken up mandolin, even though he started on mandolin he has brought more attention to himself as a guitar player.

Here's a great interview with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXPwEKeaRE

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

How could anyone listen to an interview with Andy Wood and not LIKE him? Wow! (rhetorical question)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I believe the key is tons of hours on the mandolin with a deliberate effort to improve your technical abilities by trying different right hand techniques and finding which one works best for you.