Thread: Mudflaps

Default Mudflaps

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'll show my aesthetic bias here and most may give a rip, but what is the history, and original purpose of, the giant pick guards Gibson originally put on their F-5's, and why the heck do they and others still put those smothering and less than attractive things on mandolins. Tradition?

Were they originally sized because mandolin orchestras, originally unamplified, had to play very hard, sometime with big strums? Abbreviated pick guards, for those who like them, now seem to do fine.

Thanks for any background.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Mudflaps

I like turtles

Blog Entries

Finger-rests..... not 'pickguards'....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

I've often wondered why the original finger rest design was so large. I actually like finger rests,but not the large ones that the OP means,the only reason that i removed the one from my Lebeda mandolin is that it was decidedly unattractive,certainly less so than the top wood that it covered. The 'abbreviated' finger rests that are available these days are very nice - but expensive,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Mudflaps

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'll show my aesthetic bias here and most may give a rip, but what is the history, and original purpose of, the giant pick guards Gibson originally put on their F-5's, and why the heck do they and others still put those smothering and less than attractive things on mandolins. Tradition?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MUDFLAP.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	164741

Tradition and beauty
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

I like mudflaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	849.6 KB 
ID:	164745  

9. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

This is heading into rough territory...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

The abbreviated rests are nice looking, but I don't rest my fingers on the guard/rest I slide them and it's a pain sliding off the rest. I want it large enough to function. Guess if you plant the abbreviated ones are ok. I have never noticed a lack of volume, or change in sound, from adding a finger rest.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75690_face.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	164747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2153.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	164748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73987_frank_ray.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	164749
    I'm quite sure, it's not the classical players, who scratch their F5s.

Yes, I was thinking of the reason for their original design and size. Maybe it was related to the use and playing style and setting of the 1920's, and is the reason for still making them that large based mostly on tradition? Seems even Gibson might reduce their size based on current playing styles and finger rest preferences.

Anyway, thanks for your input on the matter.

What has been said is correct:

1) installed fingerrests, a.k.a. mandolin pickguards, do not diminish the playing volume. They were once assumed to affect volume, but tests have shown that this assumption is incorrect.

2) abbreviated rests work just fine, and look terrific, and so the larger ones are not really necessary.

3) many folks who remove their rests still "brush" the top with fingers often, or contact it more directly (but infrequently) with picks or fingernails or both. Over enough time, this infrequent contact can lead to serious finish damage in the top, regardless! There are countless examples of blemished tops in cases where the guard was removed (see pix above, for example), even with players who don't necessarily "plant" the pinky on the top.

4) folks who are used to having no pickguards, and who plant or brush the top, tend to hate having to learn to reposition their hands, and therefore tend to have trouble adjusting to mandolins with pickguards.

5) for those folks who tend to ouch the top from time to time, or who brush, installing a pickguard can actually improve the right hand position, by forcing the fingertips away from the top. But see the previous point!

15. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    What has been said is correct:

1) installed fingerrests, a.k.a. mandolin pickguards, do not diminish the playing volume. They were once assumed to affect volume, but tests have shown that this assumption is incorrect.
    2) abbreviated rests work just fine, and look terrific, and so the larger ones are not really necessary.
    3) many folks who remove their rests still "brush" the top with fingers often, or contact it more directly (but infrequently) with
    picks or fingernails or both. Over enough time, this infrequent contact can lead to serious finish damage in the top,
    regardless!
    There are countless examples of blemished tops in cases where the guard was removed (see pix above, for example), even with players who don't necessarily "plant" the pinky on the top.
    4) folks who are used to having no pickguards, and who plant or brush the top, tend to hate having to learn to reposition their hands, and therefore tend to have trouble adjusting to mandolins with pickguards.
    5) for those folks who tend to ouch the top from time to time, or who brush, installing a pickguard can actually improve the right hand position, by forcing the fingertips away from the top. But see the previous point!

Number 2. Yes a large one is needed if your hand falls off the smaller one
    Number 4. The same for someone that is used to a pick guard playing one without.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

pops1sblock