Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What scam is this?

Default What scam is this?

Hi all. I have a cheapo mando listed for sale on Craigslist. Not long after posting I received this reply (edited):

"Hi, I'll pay you $xxx cash no bargaining. I live not too far away near (place) & can meet you at some mutual public place down your way tomorrow . I will not need to try the mandolin at your home. My cell is (phone #). Call anytime til Midnight as I'm up late. Call me repeatedly if necessary as I have a slight hearing problem & do not text. I'm home this evening so do let me know. I look forward to hearing from you. Most Appreciatively, (name.)"

Feels scammy to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it (except that they don't want to try it out) ... your thoughts? Thanks!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: What scam is this?

Agreed, that it sounds fishy.... Is the phone number local and legit?

Sometimes people are just harvesting contact info to sell. That's all I can think of, if it is a scam. That or an armed robbery if meeting after Midnight.

I have met my share of weirdos from craigslist, but never actually had a problem. Maybe I am scarier than they are in person. haha
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The area code is legit for where they say they live.

Just realized, "I have a hearing problem so do not text" sounds a bit off...

Yeah thats pretty funny. If they are a criminal, at least they have a sense of humor!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

I read it as likely legit. Sounds to me like an older person that really wants a mandolin. Doesn't want to bring cash to your house. Has never played a mandolin and doesn't want to be embarrassed trying to play in front of stranger.

He is saying keep calling cause I might not hear phone - don't rely on texting me cause I don't text. He's got cash and MAS, and will be up late jonesin' about it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Cash is cash. Meet somewhere safe and public.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

The language does not seem very natural to me, I'd be very wary and probably pass for a buyer who is more obviously human. I am currently going through the same thing selling an old Giannini classical guitar here on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I read it as likely legit. Sounds to me like an older person that really wants a mandolin. Doesn't want to bring cash to your house. Has never played a mandolin and doesn't want to be embarrassed trying to play in front of stranger.

He is saying keep calling cause I might not hear phone - don't rely on texting me cause I don't text. He's got cash and MAS, and will be up late jonesin' about it
    At this point I should add that it's an electric... unlikely to be someone's first mandolin, I would think.

Blog Entries

Yeah that's a lil different. I don't have a story that fits that

Scam?

It might be some sort of mass buyer who just buys all sorts of stuff no questions asked and then resells for profit. I would imagine a regular buyer would want to try out the instrument, and might not be bending over backwards so much for you to sell it to them.

Most of the Craigslist sales I have done, I meet the potential buyer in the parking lot of an active Starbucks or similar place during daylight. Assuming you actually reach this person and you do set up a meeting time, be prepared for him/her to not show up. People are strange, that way.

I also can't see how it can be a scam, assuming he shows up hands you cash, you give him the mandolin and he leaves. Puzzling.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In some of the towns in my area the police department allows you to meet in the lobby of the police station for a craigslist transaction. Find out if your town allows it. I would think that would have a chilling effect on a scammer and a comforting affect to someone that was unsure of you.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I tend to agree. I like that he says "your mandolin", rather than "your item".

I sold my Godin electric to a lady that was told she needed more volume when she played in church. Had never seen or played an electric and didn't want to try it, just came with the money and took it. Some people are like that.

The main trouble I have with CL is getting the seller to call me back, when I want to buy something. It seems somebody else always gets it, even when I know I'm first. It is frustrating. Maybe he is just trying to get you to call him, instead of somebody else?
    ......I'll bring cash, I'll pay your price, I won't haggle, etc......he is making it easy for you, IMHO.

Like Mike says, I too have met people in the Police station parking lot or lobby. If not the Walgreens or Starbucks....

18. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Sounds like a scam to me, but worth a call to find out. Block your number and call them and see. Certainly always meet somewhere public. I'm a fan of meeting at the PD.

If it feels off or is a scam, then it probably is a scam. I do remember someone telling me about CL scams and phone numbers, and was told to NEVER give out your address or phone number. Use email, set up a place to meet in the daylight & protected, have friends nearby, record with a GoPro (or similar) if you have one available. If doing cash, as checks are not good these days, get a Counterfeit Detector Pen - like at Walmart, 2 come in a pack and are relatively cheap. YMMV

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

https://www.fraudguides.com/internet/craigslist/

https://www.komando.com/tips/349850/...ling-scams/all

http://www.wisebread.com/8-vile-crai...-watch-out-for

or do a simple search and find the MANY scams going on: https://www.google.com/search?q=crai...nt=firefox-b-1
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

I also received communication like this initiated when I was selling a non-musical related item. I would be extraordinarily cautious. The communication ended up being from someone trying to run a scam.

If it otherwise, I hope the best for you.

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment. :-/
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Hi all. I have a cheapo mando listed for sale on Craigslist. Not long after posting I received this reply (edited):

"Hi, I'll pay you $xxx cash no bargaining. I live not too far away near (place) & can meet you at some mutual public place down your way tomorrow . I will not need to try the mandolin at your home. My cell is (phone #). Call anytime til Midnight as I'm up late. Call me repeatedly if necessary as I have a slight hearing problem & do not text. I'm home this evening so do let me know. I look forward to hearing from you. Most Appreciatively, (name.)"

Feels scammy to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it (except that they don't want to try it out) ... your thoughts? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    The area code is legit for where they say they live.

Which is it, "I have a hearing problem & do not text" or "I have a hearing problem so do not text"?

The first just means "Don't give up calling, I have a hearing problem. Also, don't text" the second means "Don't text because I have a hearing problem." Big difference.

23. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

It would have been a perfect scam if there was a paid number to call, like 1-900 or something like that and the suggestion to call repeteadly would also make perfect sense, as every time you phone the scammer gets an X amount of dollars debited to your phone account and credited to his.

If it's a cheapo mandolin as you said I wouldn't be that bothered about trying it out either.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

As Mike says, meet in a police parking lot. Even in our little town the police encourage you to meet at the station, even inside if one prefers. The language may not be an issue, especially if he's just typing off the top of his head and not worrying about grammar. A lot of posts on this forum are just sort of "wing-it" things that sound a little off when read. And don't even get me started on auto-shell.

It's a weird way to offer for sure, but easily explained away. Just go by your own comfort level. If nervous about it, pass.

Looks clumsily written to me but nothing more. As the others have said meet in a safe place and complete the transaction

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    ... didn't want to try it, just came with the money and took it. Some people are like that.
    My dad was like that, although long before anyone ever invented Craigslist.

If he saw or heard of something that caught his fancy, he would decide that he must have one of those and he'd often buy without even trying. Total packrat/collector.

He even bought a brand new car once that way, he didn't see any point in test driving it because he'd already made up his mind that he wanted it. Everyone (including the salesperson at the dealership) kept asking him, "Don't you want to drive it first, before buying it?" My dad was like, "Nope, not necessary, it will be fine." He paid cash for it (he didn't believe in throwing money away making payments, he said the interest was too high) and then he drove his new car home. Seemed pleased with his purchase, he kept it for nearly 15 years until he passed away.

He also bought many of his musical instruments without playing or even holding them first, in fact the majority of the instruments in his large disorderly collection were things that he didn't know how to play anyway. He just liked to have them around in case, someday, he *might* want to learn to play them. Some of the instruments were exceptionally nice, others were complete junkers that just looked cool.

So yeah, there are some 'different' people out there.

29. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    ... If doing cash, as checks are not good these days, get a Counterfeit Detector Pen - like at Walmart, 2 come in a pack and are relatively cheap. YMMV ...
    I like that idea. Not sure how reliable they are, but probably better than nothing.

Remember,
    “Machete don’t text!”
    Bad movie reference, sorry.
    Be careful.
    FWIW, I don’t text either.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post: