Thread: Eastman MD315 Tailpiece?

Default Eastman MD315 Tailpiece?

The Eastman website states the tailpiece is cast, but the image makes it look like it's stamped. I got mine yesterday and it's definitely stamped. And of course it has a buzz so I'll put some felt on it. But I was just wondering if anyone else received a cast tailpiece on their MD315? and is this something worth investing in?

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/md315

Default Re: Eastman MD315 Tailpiece?

Yes, mine is cast. I purchased my MD315 about three weeks ago from a local dealer. They are now shipping with a cast tailpiece. I was happy about that, as well as the tone! I had not intended to buy anything that day, but this thing latched onto me, and I had to take it home! Perhaps you can request for a new tail piece and swap it out.

Svea

Certainly looks stamped in the photo even though it says cast in the text.

Whilst I prefer cast tailpieces aesthetically, there's nothing wrong in principle with a stamped tailpiece. Gibson (and others) have been using them on their high-end mandolins for many years.

I wrote and heard back from Eastman (see below). So I wrote back and asked where I could buy a cast Eastman tailpiece. No response yet. Since the Eastman hole pattern is not standard, in order to use an aftermarket tailpiece I would have to first plug the old holes. I could do that; just not comfortable doing that to a expensive (to me) mandolin. Any ideas where I could buy one? From Eastman:

"Hello James,

The image on our website is of our old model, which will need to be updated. We have stopped using the stamped tailpiece on all of our mandolins, so every model including the MD315 has the cast tailpiece now.

Thank you,
    Eastman Guitars"

The last 3+ shipments of MD315 I received had cast tailpieces. I don't recall exactly when the change happened. Late last year, maybe?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The last 3+ shipments of MD315 I received had cast tailpieces. I don't recall exactly when the change happened. Late last year, maybe?
    Thanks Robert. Do you sell an Eastman tailpiece that would fit my MD315 or know where I could buy one?
    Jim in AZ
    || |||| ||

You seem to be assuming that the holes in the stamped tailpiece you have are going to match those in the "Eastman" cast tailpiece you're looking for. I doubt they will be so it might not be worth holding out for a specific Eastman one.

In my experience, all tailpieces seem to be different.

Your best bet is an Allen tailpiece, but I am not 100% sure that everything will line up there either. The problem is often the Endpin hole. Just slight variations in the various tailpieces that are being made.

If you switch to a cast tailpiece, you will usually have some endpin issues as well. The thickness of the cast tailpiece, means the endpin will not seat down into the tapered whole.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks everyone for your help. Eastman is sending me the cast tailpiece but confirmed I will need to fill in the old holes. It should be here in 2 - 3 weeks. I assume the process would be:
    Drill out old holes
    Glue in dowels
    Drill new pilot holes
    Attach tailpiece

Seems straightforward. Thanks again.
    Jim in AZ
    || |||| ||

It is pretty straight forward. You can get fancy and use maple to fill the holes and even attempt to match the grain, but a good quality toothpick will do the trick and they are normally the correct size as is.

Dab some glue on the toothpick, give it a light tap in, then snap it off. Chisel it flush, stain and add a bit of finish (or superglue). Let cure, level. Attempt to not touch the finish around the fills... Then final stage is to rough up the fill so it matches the satin finish. In this case, it is going to be visible, due to going to a small tailpiece. You will usually see some indented line from the original tailpiece.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

11. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Hi Robert - is there a suggested replacement cast tailpiece for recent Kentucky models?

You could probably do away with any filling and refinishing by fitting a James tailpiece. In my opinion the bet available but you may not like the price!

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    In this case, it is going to be visible, due to going to a small tailpiece. You will usually see some indented line from the original tailpiece.
    Robert, So if I understand you, the Eastman cast tailpiece is somewhat smaller than the Eastman stamped tailpiece? I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to find out for sure. In looking at the various Eastman mandolins, it appears they use the same tailpiece across all their models. I'm a bit OCD (hahaha).

Yes Ray(T), James is out of my budget.
    Jim in AZ
    || |||| ||

Jim,

Yeah, the Cast Eastman tailpiece is smaller (at the mounting end). As of now, they all use the same cast tailpiece. Previously, the 300 serious used the tailpiece you have on your 315.

- - - Updated - - -

You could probably do away with any filling and refinishing by fitting a James tailpiece. In my opinion the bet available but you may not like the price!
    Correct, A James or All en TR-1, TR2, etc... will be an exact replacement, or close to it.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Hi Robert - is there a suggested replacement cast tailpiece for recent Kentucky models?
    Yes, Kentuckys are using the standard Gibson style tailpiece, so most (such as the mentioned James and Allen), will usually screw on. Kentucky Tailpieces have varied over the years, and though they look close, they are not all exact. I am sure of this, from trying to replace damaged tailpieces with new replacements (both Kentucky), and not having perfect alignment of the screw holes.

Having done countless tailpiece swaps, I do have to say that there can be slight variations, so take "Standard" with a grain of salt. They are sometimes off just enough that you still need to move a screw. If you stay with the tapered endpin, sometimes all the screws match fine, but the endpin hole is slightly off. In this case, one way to go about it is to glue in the endpin, cut it flush and install a screw-end strap button.

The End pins often need to be replaced. Going from a cast tailpiece to a stamped tailpiece is a big difference in thickness, so the end pin either won't go in far enough to seat, or it goes in, but doesn't protrude out far enough to get the strap on. It depends on the thickness and how large the endpin hole is.

In my experience, swapping what looks like a "standard" tailpiece, goes smoothly maybe 60% of the time.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Cool! I've got one of the vintage stamped kind...sure to someday be coveted by collectors everywhere...

The Eastman tailpiece came today. Very nice. But it is so much smaller than the stamped tailpiece as several of you previously stated, that the filled in holes would show. I'm ok with wood working and finishing, but not that good. Time to save up for an Allen.
    Jim in AZ
    || |||| ||

Jim, if they sold you an older model can`t you sent it back and get a newer one with the cast tailpiece? What they sent you wasn`t your fault, it was theirs for not sending you what was advertised...if you are dealing with Tim Finch there tell him Willie Poole offered you this advice, Tim and I go back a ways...

Willie

Thanks Willie. Nope I bought it new on eBay. My fault. But I got a great deal on it. The stamped tailpiece works fine. I put some felt in there and the buzzing stopped. It's more just a matter of aesthetics. I'm an amateur luthier so I'll keep the Eastman tailpiece for a future mandolin. Or find someone who wants to trade.
    Jim in AZ
    || |||| ||

Does anyone know, if a James tailpiece fits the MD 315? A tutor showed me - he has it on a Gibson - and I really like the hinged cover. Seems a lot easier on the fingers...

It would not be a direct replacement for the Eastman Cast Tailpiece. If your 315 is older and has the stamped tailpiece, it "may" fit.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

It's likely to be a case of "suck it and see" unless you can find someone who has actually done the conversion.

Don't forget, it's not only the screw holes which need to line up but the larger one for the end-pin.

Don't forget, it's not only the screw holes which need to line up but the larger one for the end-pin.
    Right!

And..... Assuming everything lines up perfectly, the thickness of the new tailpiece will mean that you will need to fit a new endpin.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Why not leave well enough alone? The tailpiece you have works fine.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1