Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gibson Mandolin A-3; Serial #23099

Default The Gibson Mandolin A-3; Serial #23099

Greetings,

I recently inherited the above mentioned mandolin. I'm interested in having it restored and am looking for recommendations in Los Angeles. Also hope that someone can tell me when it was made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	164675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	164675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	164676

Thanks,
    GM

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: The Gibson Mandolin A-3; Serial #23099

Looks like it is in nice shape to me. What do you want done to it? In general, the less you do to an old instrument (cosmetically, especially) the better. Is the neck straight? Is the top sinking? Are there any buzzes or rattles when it is played? Any cracks?
    This is what you really need to look for.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

The serial number indicates 1915.
    What about it needs to be restored? It does have replacement tuners, but other than that, it looks pretty nice. Vintage musical instruments lose considerable value when they're refinished, and yours doesn't look like it needs any cosmetic work. If you want to put original looking tuners on it, these will work well: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...SABEgIFg_D_BwE
    Since there's a certain amount of variation in the tuner holes on these old mandolins, I would recommend having a qualified luthier install them.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Hey John,

It's in really good shape, just very dirty. It needs a good set up and cleaning, hoping someone has a recommendation in Southern California. Thanks for the turners tip.

Thanks,

Hey John,

It's in really good shape, just very dirty. It needs a good set up and cleaning, hoping someone has a recommendation in Southern California. Thanks for the turners tip.

Thanks,

John,

Do you know whether or not this is the original bridge?

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	558.8 KB 
ID:	164679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3534.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	164681

It would'nt have had an adjustable bridge originally. That doesn't mean I wouldn't leave it on there though.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Any way to tell if the pick guard is original?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

the pickguard and tailpiece look original. I've owned/loved my A3 for 30-some years.

I would replace the bridge. It's already been mentioned the original was one-piece. I've tried both and remain on my original, which I think is ebony?

Stew-mac makes replacement tuners for these, "Worm Under" Gibson a-models. They are direct drop-in's unless the earlier effort plugged and redrilled for the modern spacing. If that's the case, they make tuners for the modern spacing too! Whoever sets up the mandolin will be able to tell you that.

Other than that, my A3 has been very stable. I had a few seams reguled when I first got it and the neck straightened too. I use regular J74-type-gauge strings or similar. Never felt the need to use light-gauge strings.

Enjoy it!

f-d

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	164682
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

What would you replace the bridge with?

Myself I would leave it adjustable, fatt-dad on the other hand would replace it with a solid bridge like it came with. That is from other posts what I think he would do.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It needs some care, not any kind of real “restoration” to my eye. Cleaning, maybe tuner replacement but, I don’t think I’d worry about that until the tuners start to be fussy. As for the bridge, you could replace it with a fixed height one but, I would not say it’s imperative. I would leave the adjustable one.
    It really looks pretty darned good to me, I say damp cloth, clean, play!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo View Post

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	558.8 KB 
ID:	164679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3534.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	164681
    Looks like the bridge is already bottomed out, or real close to it. I wonder why. (Thinking of the dreaded "neck reset" possibility.) Hopefully the strings aren't high above the fretboard. Does anyone know what the original bridge height should be, on this model of instrument?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

What would you replace the bridge with?
    many folks are happy using the Cumberland Acoustic repro bridge. My preference, as Pops1 notes, is the much lighter and simpler design of the one-piece bridge. For me, it's not an adjustment that I use. Once the setup is correct, the one-piece bridge just sits there!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The tuners look like gold 50's Kluson f-style tuners that would have come on a Gibson F-12. The bridge might have come from the same instrument.

Jeff, would you leave those turners and bridge on the instrument? The Gibson 4-12 is quite an instrument.

Jeff, would you leave those turners and bridge on the instrument? The Gibson 4-12 is quite an instrument.
    I would probably leave them on the instrument, unless you are trying to put some period-correct tuners on it as part of your restoration. I only mention it because the gold tuners might have some value to an owner of a 50's F-12, maybe $200-250, but it wouldn't be a quick sale, I'm guessing. But, you might come out $100 ahead if you were changing your tuners, anyway. The bridge doesn't have a lot of value, so I would leave it on there. Or, I should say, it isn't worth more as a vintage part than the equivalent replacement would cost you. I prefer an adjustable bridge, over a fixed bridge.

I should add that the tuner bushings sometimes are very tight and hard to remove without chipping the finish of the peghead overlay, if you have never done it. A luthier should know what to look out for and to be careful.

Blog Entries

I have to wonder if this mandolin went back to the factory for work in the '50s and came out with the Kluson tuners and the adjustable bridge. GotMojo, do you have any history about this mandolin?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Nowell Seagal, Livingtree Music, restores old Gibsons. He's in Panorama City. - www.LivingTreeMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I have to wonder if this mandolin went back to the factory for work in the '50s and came out with the Kluson tuners and the adjustable bridge. GotMojo, do you have any history about this mandolin?
    If the tuners were put on at the factory they would have put on A style tuners instead of the F style that are on there. My guess is someone was using something they had instead of buying something else.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

21. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If the tuners were put on at the factory they would have put on A style tuners instead of the F style that are on there. My guess is someone was using something they had instead of buying something else.
    The mounting screws are also the wrong type and bigger than what Gibson would have used.

23. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Sorry no history at all. It was my wife's grandfathers mandolin, he's long gone.

I'm going to need a new case. The case that it currently rests in is a chipboard case that's falling apart. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I checked out Living Tree's website. They're close by and it looks like they have worked on a ton of vintage instruments. Sent them an email. Thanks for the tip.

I just dropped off my mandolin at Livingtree Music. I had a great visit with Nowell and am confident that he'll do a fantastic job. He has an easy manner and a thorough knowledge of my mandolin. I'm looking forward seeing it when he's finished and will post pics, before and after.

Thanks for the referral!