Thread: Pocket guitar...bear with me here.

Default Pocket guitar...bear with me here.

Thinking of one with the outer two strings removed for an upcoming trip where I won't be able to take my mando. Sure, it's one string instead of two but would give me something to "practice" on. Found them as cheap as $10 on eBay. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	164655

Default Re: Pocket guitar...bear with me here.

I don't know. Practicing on something with guitar-size fret distance and single strings without string sounds like it would be a waste of time. In addition, it looks like all the frets are evenly spaced, not even like real guitar.

Are you going away for multiple months to a place that it would be impossible to have a real mandolin or even a electric one with headphones? In that case just resign your self to catching up on your practicing when you get back.

I would get something like this. Risa uke. You could plug earphones and get some Aquila strings that are tuned to GDAE. I think the concert is close to mandolin scale.

Name:	risauke.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	164656

Here's the Pocket Guitar demo video. I think the cheaper ones on eBay may be knock-offs.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Does it come with a scroll? I know that the one without is a better value but I really do like having a strap hanger.

Blog Entries

Not worth it. The strings are not tuneable, and they don't even come close to replicating the tactile feel. And you don't even strum the strings -- only that ridged plastic part -- which is (in my opinion) worthless for anything other than chord strumming (and you can do that on your pants leg for free).

And to be clear: When I say not tuneable, I don't mean "doesn't hold a tune very long." I mean the equivalent of stretching dental floss and hoping to produce a sound. No tone at all.

So to recap: Not good for learning sound. Not good for learning feel.

You would be much better served by visualizing the tunes you're thinking of and/or memorizing form and/or memorizing words and/or lighting a $10 bill on fire.

If a 30 dollar Rogue won't cut it, I dunno. A case would more than double it's worth, but one could make a case with A/B foam.

OK, I may be weird, but I think if I didn't play for a whole year, I could still pick up the instrument and be within 95 oercent of where I was before. Of course, I've been playing for over 50 years. But, I think "it" is mostly in my head, at this point.

Now, if you would miss your instrument that is a different story. I'd try to take a beater mandolin before I'd take one of those practice devices.

You could take a piece of wood and insert a nut and then put a bridge on the other end and ad tailpiece and then string 8 strings in mandolin formation and make your own practice device. Oh, wait, you would also need to hear it so maybe make a body for it. Yikes! It turned into a mandolin!

Didn't one of our members here buy a Rogue and cut the sides off the body and put a pickup on it? That would work too and better than the above practice thinger.

I just re-read the title of this thread and I realize now that the reason the OP cannot bring a mandolin with him on this trip is that there is a bear with him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I just re-read the title of this thread and I realize now that the reason the OP cannot bring a mandolin with him on this trip is that there is a bear with him.
    Nah, taking my wife.....wait....uh.....ah, no....not fallin' for that word trap.

I recon if I were to cut the cheeks of a Rogue, I'd fill it with A/B foam first.
    Years ago Saga made a 4 string tele-shaped, e-mando kit.
    One could definitely saw the extra bumps of one of those.
    One could buy a mandolin neck & tuners from Elderly, and attach it to a block with a tail piece on the other end. But as I get older my time is more precious. Maybe I wouldn't go on a trip like that. What with bears and the like.

Well hopefully there are no lions and tiger with the bears. Oh my!
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have one of these: https://strumstick.com/products/ukulele-strumstick It measures 26" long and doesn't weigh much. I bring it on backpack trips. I removed the first string and replaced it with a mandolin G string, then tune the whole thing to CGDA or to DAEB. Since I'm just playing by myself, it matters little that it's roughly a fifth below a mandolin. It's more satisfying to play something that feels like a real instrument. I don't think strumming a small brick like that weird object would be satisfying. I wouldn't say this strumstick uke has the greatest sound, and not having double courses doesn't feel the same, but when you have an ear worm it's great to play it out, and when you have some downtime while traveling, it's great to pass the time.

A used Martin backpacker mandolin shows up now and then, small, quiet, but a real mandolin fingerboard and strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Or look for one of the German-made "pocket" mandolins; I have one that I was given. Close to a standard mandolin scale, very small body, not much sound. The brand of mine is Holdrio, and I've seen other instruments with that brand. They were made in the 1920's, I think.

One on an auctioneer's site.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

No .... just ..no. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

16. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

B381 

Saw this one on Reverb, that ended. Has a video of the fellow playing it even.
    https://reverb.com/item/5448200-trav...n-2016-natural
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Blog Entries

I saw this project by an australian hobby builder which appeals for the pack & go potential.

Name:	D4EA052A-20DD-4ACA-BE55-3F3DA0CB1DE1.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	164710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0BB2F89C-9DB6-4176-92B2-385EDF053888.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	693.1 KB 
ID:	164711

Name:	D014642A-62E8-4795-88FC-B784DE475F73.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	164712 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375A2458-79E6-42EC-9F78-1A4DF32C4A36.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	164713

Name:	B5BE8D0E-79B0-462C-ABBC-E3F8A0655BDF.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	164714 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ED03DC0-9FA6-4478-A403-0CE261E2AD42.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	164715
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin