Thread: Armrest Hardware?

Default Armrest Hardware?

Where can I buy the hardware for an armrest? I'd like to make one myself. Thanks.

Default Re: Armrest Hardware?

You need a Viola Chin rest bracket. The violin bracket will be too small. Try www.internationalviolin.com. There are other violin supply houses as well.

https://www.internationalviolin.com/...hinrest-screws
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-04-2018 at 11:16pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You need a Viola Chin rest bracket. The violin bracket will be too small. Try www.internationalviolin.com. There are other violin supply houses as well.

https://www.internationalviolin.com/...hinrest-screws
    Perfect thanks!

Decor music has a good supply. I like the Hill style best as it adapts to any shape/curvature. I also like being able to get longer barrels. One oddity is that the thread pitch is not always standardized - I have a bunch of spare chin rest parts and I can't always swap out parts between them.

Mike Edgerton's advice is the most important of all; violin brackets are too short, so you need viola brackets.

I agree with Mandobart. The 'Hill' style, which allows you to place the two legs where you want them to be, rather than the U-shaped bracket that allows you no such choice, is by far the better-suited tool for the job.

<Removed by Moderator. Please send this in a PM>

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Decor music has a good supply. I like the Hill style best as it adapts to any shape/curvature. I also like being able to get longer barrels. One oddity is that the thread pitch is not always standardized - I have a bunch of spare chin rest parts and I can't always swap out parts between them.
    My mandolin is 41mm where the rest will go. In looking at the Decor site, the biggest one they sale is 39mm. How do I know what size to buy? Looking at this one:

http://www.decormusic.com/product/CrAH

I use the lower parts of the Hill hardware mated with the elbow connections that thread right into the side of the armrest (used on the conventional hardware with the one piece lower bracket). The lower feet and upper connections add another 10 -20 mm of adjustability, so the 35 mm barrels ought to fit. A 39 mm barrel only gives you 2 mm to play with - I think the overall length would be too long. Over the years I've bought an assortment of barrel lengths just to be sure. I have armrests on instruments as large as my 3-1/2" deep mandocello, so I have the appropriate die to thread 1/8" brass rod to make the overall opening as large as needed.