Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clip-On Tuner Question

Default Clip-On Tuner Question

Okay, so I'm a Luddite, but I never bought a new-fangled clip-on tuner til a couple months ago. It surprised me, but I actually like the little bugger. Got the TC Electronic Clip-on Tuner. Anyway, is it okay to leave these on the instruments all the time, or should I remove them after each use?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Clip-On Tuner Question

Remove.
    2 reasons: 1. They're ugly. 2. They can permanently mess up some finishes if left for too long.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I play shows with mine on because it's nice to be in tune. It goes in the case pocket when I put the mandolin away. On my guitars I use the D'Addario tuners that sit inside the sound hole. Those I leave on.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-04-2018 at 9:44pm. Reason: Fixed my own typo.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Wow, Mike. You took the words out of my mouth:

"I play shows with mine on because it's nice to be in tune. It goes in the case pocket when I put the mandolin away. On by guitars I use the D'Addario tuners that sit inside the sound hole. Those I leave on."

Great minds run in the same gutter.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

My mandolin has a nice brown streak across the headstock logo and a discoloration on the back of the headstock from the previous owner who left a tuner on. I also have one that buzzes badly if I leave it on while playing. I don't need anything else on my mandolin that might buzz, so I take them off.

I leave it on when I play a gig, but take it off after. I have quite a lot of play wear from years of gigging so I shouldn't worry about it, but take it off anyway.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I left mine on the headstock for years. I tune with an iPhone now. I’d have to look for a clip on tuner. I’m sure they’re in the cases somewhere.
    Mike Snyder

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I've had a D'Addario/Planet Waves NS-Micro tuner (similar to & predecessor of the current NS-Mini, I believe) on my '72 Martin's headstock since they first came out, guessing 5 or 7 years ago, with no ill effect. Since I often use it to tune other instruments, I'd readily notice if there was even a hint of finish discoloring. On other instruments, including a mid-'90s Flatiron, I've had NS-Micros since THEY came out a year or two ago, so I'm fairly confident that both of them are benign to, at least, the Martin & Flatiron finishes (nitrocellulose?). The soft grip pads feel as if they're silicone-based, which chemically is fairly inert.

A nice feature of both, besides being tiny, easy to read, and "accurate enough for gov't work", is that they can mount on the BACK of the headstock, with only a barely-visible tab showing on the front. The Micro is improved in that the display inverts to mount on either the back OR front, and the clamp mechanism is more ergonomic, to remove it w/ just one hand. And they're cheap, as low a 2-on-a-card for $20 or so. NFI.

BTW if it wasn't mentioned: Vinyl guitar straps, left on in the case, are notorious for discoloring guitar & mandolin finishes.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I just saw an advert for a new version of the Planet Waves micro tuner that mounts to a tuner screw, so it is completely hidden in the back. I don't like the inaccuracy of the pwaves, so I hope Peterson comes out with this option for the stroboclip!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I like the Planet Waves micros. They're darn near invisible and work well. I have one for each of three instruments:mandolin, octave mando, and tenor banjo. They live right on the headstock with no finish problems. Only time I take one off is if I need it to tune another instrument.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I leave my Snark on my mandolin - but now I am questioning whether that is a good idea!

I moved from a tuning app to my clip-on Snark because I found the app less accurate and is affected by environment sounds.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

I use Snark tuners and usually leave it on while playing and remove it when done.

All personal preference, but I cringe each time I see a tuner clipped on to a headstock during a performance. Those newer ones that fold behind don't bother me, but the ones that look like billboards do.

17. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I like Snarks...cheap, accurate enough, Etc. But I tune and then take it off and either put it in my pocket or on a music stand depending on the performance environment. At home I have one I leave out with a guitar capo that I use on whatever instrument I'm playing. Same deal, tune, then remove.

Would probably be fine to leave on during a performance or practice, but I wouldn't leave on all the time. Seen too many mandolins discounted in the classifieds from "Snark mark..." Like pops, my main mandolins have some wear anyway, so it probably doesn't matter, but...

Btw, use the guitar capo on guitar and mandocello, not the mandolin
    Chuck

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

The ugly snark hides in my pocket when I'm not tuning and stays in the case pocket when my mandolin is sleeping.

Sorry to change the subject slightly but I've noticed from various YouTube videos that Bryan Sutton has his tuner (looks like a black Snark) fitted at the heel end of his guitar strap. Any ideas as to exactly where? Clearly, the head isn't the only place a tuner can be fitted.

My Snark (red) has a microphone option as well so perhaps that’s how he’s using it?

They operate on vibration as well as sound. The ns guitar tuners live inside the sound hole. As long as there is a place to attach it to the instrument it should work. I'm going to have to check that out.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

One disadvantage that I didn't mention: They cover up the headstock logo and drive me crazy when I'm trying see what kind of mandollin that guy on stage is playing.
    Also, if you happen to have a very nice mandolin, the tuner might cover YOUR logo and other people won't be as impressed with your possessions.

Kidding aside, I had a D'add Micro on one of my mandolins for YEARS without any significant blemish on the finish (catalyzed varnish finish) and I've had 2 or 3 others with significant finish damage after only a few days of the tuner sitting on the headstock with the mandolin just hanging on its stand at home. So YMMV.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

24. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had a an Eastman varnish that the previous owner left a tuner on the headstock for a long period. It messed up the finish. So I don't take any chances, even with nitro, although I fell like it's a lot tougher.
    Living’ in the Mitten

They will work just fine touching the body as the headstock. A violin friend of mine takes the clip off and touches it to the body. If it is on your strap you could let it rest against the body when you want to tune and it would work without having to put it on the headstock. I think the snark is ugly and too big to leave on, I use the small clip on ones like polytune or planet waves micro.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    My Snark (red) has a microphone option as well so perhaps that’s how he’s using it?
    Black Snark tuners don't have the microphone. My guess is that it's to save the finish, and he moves the tuner to the instrument's headstock when using it -- just a guess. Doubt there'd be enough vibration through the strap to activate the tuner.

I've been leaving the D'Addario mini-tuners on guitar, mandolin and ukulele headstocks for quite a while now, with no apparent damage to a variety of (older) finishes. Snarks can be another story, since they tend to lose their pads; I've Duco-cemented a couple back on, but others have vanished somewhere in the chaos of picking and performing. I'd be a bit more worried about the un-padded plastic marring the finish...

...if I were protective of my instruments' finishes, which, in general, I'm not. I'm squarely in the "it's a tool, use it vigorously, wear and tear's to be expected" camp of instrument users. A one-person "distressing" service, pretty much. So a few finish blems don't deter me from keeping tuners on instruments. What does deter me, in the case of Snarks, is their size, and the fragility of their "stems" and ball joints. I've gone through a few of them that have been damaged in normal use; luckily, they're not too expensive.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've always just left mine on, but I don't have any fancy mandolins with fancy finishes that might be damaged. There is a slight pressure mark on the snake's headstock from my micro, but only I would notice since the headstock is already less than perfect (which is what I'd expect from an instrument more than 90 years old that had been played pretty hard during its life) and I don't think it was from the tuner so much as from other people taking it off to tune their own instruments. This is peculiar to me -- if I don't have it on the headstock, it's MIA and I play without a tuner and probably out of tune. I've lost far too many of them to take them off.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I had a nice tuner that broke so I found that the stem of the head piece fits perfect in the scroll on the top of the mandolin so that's where I install it but I also use a red Snark, I always like to fine tune by ear after I set all of the strings with a tuner, after all my ear is what I am actually hearing when I play...

Willie

I think what I'll do is just nail a 2x4 into the neck of my 1920 Gibson and leave the Snark attached to that so it doesn't muss the varnish.

I thought that would get a few cringes

31. The following members say thank you to Cliff Seruntine for this post: