Thread: How to practice strumming techniques, and strumming + singing?

Default How to practice strumming techniques, and strumming + singing?

Hi all. I am pretty green with the Mandolin and I am having trouble with the seemingly simplest thing...how do I strum right? And especially different patterns for different songs/genres? I can do chords but they sure don't sound very good if I can't get the rhythm going.

I have also been trying to learn a few songs and am finding it immensely difficult to keep a consistent strumming pattern (if I can even manage one) while also singing along. Even for simple songs like "Good Riddance, Time of your life." I feel like it's a "rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time" thing which in any other situation wouldn't be a problem but with this it's like there is just too much going on?

Any tips and tricks on how to practice efficiently and get better at harmonizing with the instrument?

Default Re: How to practice strumming techniques, and strumming + singing

I recommend you ask your teacher this question.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

ineedwine, no worries, if you are new to the instrument then you will probably not sound like a seasoned professional for a good, long while yet.

Tips and tricks for playing rhythm

1. Mute the strings with your left hand, and with your right hand and pick, play a rhythmic pattern on the dead strings. Try different rhythms. Play along to some of your favorite songs, just making a rhythm on the dead strings. Get a feel for the rhythm before worrying about the chords.

2. Learn the chords to one of the tunes you want to sing. Practice until you are able to change chords smoothly and on time. PRACTICE rhythm by playing the song along with your favorite recording of the tune. Try different rhythm patterns. Find a rhythm pattern that goes with you favorite recorded version and practice it.

3. Find a friend who plays (example, guitar) and who knows the songs you'd like to sing. Get your friend to play while you play along. Do this no matter how bad you sound, until the day you figure out a rhythm that sounds good.

Tips and tricks for Singing Along

There is no getting away from the fact that this is hard to get going and to get right. Concentrate first on keeping good rhythm and playing a smooth chord progression. Keep practicing the singing in time with your playing until one day you get it.

These things take time. You do want to practice efficiently. More importantly, though, is simply to practice. You can go to a professional trainer who may be able to help you practice most efficiently. Without such a trainer, you as a beginner cannot judge how "efficient" your practice actually is.

You can go a long time practicing and feeling that you make no progress, then suddenly things click and it becomes second nature. So practice!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I think that Youtube can be a good source of help. Just find videos of music that you like and find one where you can see the player's strumming hand. Then watch and LISTEN to what's happening. Then pick up your instrument and play along and try to duplicate what's going on on the screen.

I find this helpful especially when there is some 'special effect' type of playing in a song.

Also, remember that there is seldom a time when only one way is correct.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

6. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

practice with a metronome.

8. The following members say thank you to Bob Visentin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    practice with a metronome.
    Exactly, what you are describing is a timing problem and a metronome is the answer.

I sang with an a capella group for years. Then I took up the mandolin. My playing has gradually improved to the point that I'll get up in front of an audience with some friends. I STILL haven't gotten to where I sing while playing. LOL. it's kinda like that old thing of rubbing your belly in a circular motion while patting up and down on your head.

To reinforce a good comment; it's not the chord, it's the timely change from one chord to the next. But of course one must crawl before walking so getting good clean chords comes first. I printed out the 2 finger chords from this site. G, D, C, and there y'go.
    The singing thing comes after you can do the aforementioned in your sleep.
    Still nothing beats a teacher or at least a supportive friend with a guitar or mandolin, that knows how to play.
    Lastly; If you mess up, DON'T QUIT PLAYING! ! ! ! Always, always keep the beat.
    Relax, and turn down your "give-a-rip" level. Here's an example of carelessly thrashing/flailing one's right hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT9MRyZl4xo

12. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    ineedwine, no worries, if you are new to the instrument then you will probably not sound like a seasoned professional for a good, long while yet.

Tips and tricks for playing rhythm

1. Mute the strings with your left hand, and with your right hand and pick, play a rhythmic pattern on the dead strings. Try different rhythms. Play along to some of your favorite songs, just making a rhythm on the dead strings. Get a feel for the rhythm before worrying about the chords.

2. Learn the chords to one of the tunes you want to sing. Practice until you are able to change chords smoothly and on time. PRACTICE rhythm by playing the song along with your favorite recording of the tune. Try different rhythm patterns. Find a rhythm pattern that goes with you favorite recorded version and practice it.

3. Find a friend who plays (example, guitar) and who knows the songs you'd like to sing. Get your friend to play while you play along. Do this no matter how bad you sound, until the day you figure out a rhythm that sounds good.

Tips and tricks for Singing Along

There is no getting away from the fact that this is hard to get going and to get right. Concentrate first on keeping good rhythm and playing a smooth chord progression. Keep practicing the singing in time with your playing until one day you get it.

These things take time. You do want to practice efficiently. More importantly, though, is simply to practice. You can go to a professional trainer who may be able to help you practice most efficiently. Without such a trainer, you as a beginner cannot judge how "efficient" your practice actually is.

You can go a long time practicing and feeling that you make no progress, then suddenly things click and it becomes second nature. So practice!
    Thank you so much for your comment this is very helpful. Particularly muting the strings and just practicing the right hand. I hadn't thought of doing that before!

Jim1Hays

I have been working on strumming for Bluegrass and here is what was recommended to me. Mute the strings with the left hand. Then use this pattern: down, down-up, repeating it. The key is to start off slowly and follow through with each stroke of the pick, making sure you are hitting all the strings evenly. Then try speeding it up a little at a time. Again as everyone here has mentioned: practice, practice, practice.!!! Good luck!!

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Mark's advice is good. I'd add that it really helps to start with the basic beat of the song. Clap that beat until you have it down. Then, the groove of the song is next. It's not the beat at all, but the basic rhythmic pattern of the background. Clap until you get this down. The groove will always be in the same time signature of the song, but may well have more claps per measure, or a slightly different spacing between claps.
    After you get this down, then move to dead notes strumming until you get the strum pattern down.
    Now you can move to chords. They are tricky because, as has been mentioned, of the changes. They have to be right or the whole thing begins to fall apart.
    Lots of things to learn, but, as with most things, starting simple and working up is the best approach.
    Good luck.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

I've been working at play guitar and mandolin for 3 years. Some friends I play with all have 35 years on me for music. They said I should try https://play.riffstation.com so I did and it has helped me 100%. I don't post , but I do a lot of reading in here and it also helps me............Gene

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneo For This Useful Post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The riff station site looks great, thanks!

You need to master the chord changes before trying to sing. You should also be able to sing the song without any thought. Only once you feel very confortable with both aspects should you try putting them together. I would recommend starting this process with a very simple song with a simple strum pattern. "You are My Sunshine" comes to mind. Go even slower than you think you should at first.

20. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post: