Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a mandolin around 500$

Default Looking for a mandolin around 500$

Hello everyone,
    I've been reading this forum, lurking in the shadows for a long time, but now I'm making my very first post.

My name is Florent and I'm a french musician who would like to start playing and studying the mandolin. I'm an electric bass teacher and I have a bit of free time to spare to learn mandolin. I already borrowed a cheap stagg mandolin from a friend and actually fell in love with the instrument.

So : I'm sorry if it has already been asked a billion times, but what do you think would be a decent model for a beginner who obviously doesn't need the best mandolin ever, but doesn't want to be discouraged by an awful sounding or too-difficult-to-play instrument ?

I don't know many mandolin shops where I live so I've checked the main online retailer in Europe, Thomann. The Loar-500-VS is exactly in my price range and looks sexy. I've been reading about it on this forum and people seem to be happy with it... While some others don't. It's hard for me to tell since I'm a true beginner, I couldn't tell if it's a good instrument even if I had the chance to play it first.

So if have any advices for a versatile (for now I'm interested in Classical, Bluegrass, and Irish music) and good study instrument in this price range that I won't want to re-sell in three months, that would actually help a lot !
    Thanks a lot in advance, and please excuse my poor english skills.
    Last edited by Florent; Feb-03-2018 at 5:24pm.

Default Re: Looking for a mandolin around 500$

Bonjour! The Loars used to get great reviews here, but apparently the quality these days isn't what it used to be. I would recommend a Kentucky KM-150 or and Eastman 305 (or any of the F-styles with the scroll by these makers in your price range, if you prefer that look) - both excellent starter instruments, and they might end up being all the mandolin you ever need.

The biggest key is to get someone who knows mandolins (i.e. not just a "guitar tech") to set it up properly for you. That will make all the difference in the world.

Good luck, and be sure and post what you end up with (and your English is great).

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

TMS is having a special on 2 "The Loar" mandolins and this one is $499...NFI...

The Loar lm500 F5/
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

4. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

http://www.moloneymusic.com/Products...ndolinsbyprice

Kieran moloney in Galway Ireland ships to France. Decent range. NFI .

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    TMS is having a special on 2 "The Loar" mandolins and this one is $499...NFI...

The Loar lm500 F5/
    He lives in France ans shipping from US might be prohibitive.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Florent,

For the price - in Europe - you will find Thomann's deal on the LM500-VS hard to beat.

The only way you would get a better instrument is if you increase your budget and buy something like a higher model Kentucky or Eastman, used. If you are prepared to watch and wait, you might find something....

Sounds like you are looking for an F-style, but with your budget, I would personally go for an A-style. The Acoustic Music Co in the UK have this nice example:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/119870#119870

If you have to have an F-style, then 'The Loar' is about as good as you will get for the price. Just be aware Thomann do ZERO setup work, so you will need to get the nut slots, bridge and frets adjusted as necessary. If you are familiar with fretted instrument setup and repair you can certainly do this yourself. If not, you will have to pay a luthier to do it for you.

Regards from Spain...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

9. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I am indeed living in France so I guess it would be difficult to order something from the US.

The Eastman 305 does look like a fine instrument indeed ! I tend to prefer F styles look but honestly I'd choose a good sound over anything.

I didn't know about Kieran Moloney in Ireland. I might order from here then.

Thanks a lot for your answers, this is actually really helpful. I'll keep you up to date with my choice really soon !

Kieran's setup on my OM was spot on sand it was a smooth transaction.

12. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Should be Kentucky dealers worldwide. In that range I like the KM900.

Blog Entries

There's a used KM-1500 (quite a rare beast in Europe) for sale in the classifieds right now (NFI):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/120558#120558

Over the OP's stated budget, but these are superb and if I was looking for a sub-$2K mandolin right now, I'd be checking that out...
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Thread title says "$500," the KM-1500 is more than twice that. He needs to be around 400€. Ivor Mairants in London advertises Eastman MD-304's for 600€ or so; Trevor at TAMCO has them for the same price. Both show them as "out of stock," however.

Before Brexit kicks in, getting one from the UK should be pretty straightforward. Getting one from China to the UK, who knows?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

You might check in with Dave Hynds and see what he might have available:
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/

Thanks again for your answers, it's really helpful. I've been in touch with Mr. Moloney who has a The Loar LM-370 available. It's a bit cheaper that what I intented to spend (350€), but the appeal of receiving the instrument already set up is great. Has anyone ever tried the LM-370 ? I could also get a LM-500VS from Thomann. What do you guys think ?

The KM 1500 looks like a fine instrument indeed, but it's way over my budget for a first mandolin, unfortunately. I'm keepking track of the second hand market looking for a Kentucky too.

18. The following members say thank you to Florent for this post:

R.A.P 

Hi Florent, looks to me like the 370 is built to the same specs as the 170. The only difference being the 370 is an "F" shape (scroll) and the 170 is an "A" shape.

Both mandolins have soild spruce tops and maple laminate sides and back.

I would prioritise sound over looks in this price bracket and go for an A shape mandolin.

I suggest its always better to try and get all solid wood mandolins and to buy from a dealer that will set up your instrument.

Blog Entries

I have to say I saw a 370 recently and was not over-impressed.... the standard of 'fit and finish' was quite rough, and frankly, it just sounded pretty weak. I have a student who got a Kentucky KM-150 last year and I get to hear/play that regularly. Twice the mandolin the 370 was. In fact, amazingly good for what it cost. Might not look too flashy, but it delivers where it matters, holds tune, frets accurately and is nice to play.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I agree on the Kentucky. Hobgoblin sells them.
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...olin-sunburst/
    I prefer the KM-250, but it might be out of your price range

You can also buy it through amazon and do the setup yourself or have someone do it
    https://www.amazon.fr/Kentucky-KM-15.../dp/B001OQC75K

Or maybe a better buy through amazon UK? Not sure if they will deliver to France.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kentucky-KM.../dp/B001OQC75K

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I agree on the Kentucky. Hobgoblin sells them.
    I prefer the KM-250, but it might be out of your price range

You can also buy it through amazon and do the setup yourself or have someone do it
    https://www.amazon.fr/Kentucky-KM-15.../dp/B001OQC75K

Or maybe a better buy through amazon UK? Not sure if they will deliver to France.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kentucky-KM.../dp/B001OQC75K
    Yes, Amazon UK do deliver to France/Spain directly as well. That is a REALLY GOOD price for one of these on this side of the pond from Amazon UK.... I would be all over that.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yep. That km150 from Amazon is a no brainer.

Wow !! That KM-150 for £209 from Amazon UK is really tempting ! But why would it be two times cheaper than the same one from Hobgoblin ? It seems too good to be true !

Edit > I was going to buy it, but it doesn't ship to France ! Too bad... The one that costs 399 can be shipped to France, but is it still a good value... ? For just a bit more (492€) I could also get The Loar LM-500-VS from Thomann (or LM-400 for a A-style). Do you think the Kentucky KM-150 is still a best instrument than these The Loar ?
    Last edited by Florent; Feb-07-2018 at 11:47am.

Do they have Amazon Locker in UK? Might be worth the train ride to London and pickup at an Amazon box

Blog Entries

Just Amazon pricing, Florent... can be weird. I bought a box set of Bill Monroe (one of the Bear Family sets) on Amazon.uk and had it shipped to Spain for 60% of what the .es site wanted for the exact same thing! You also have excellent return/refund rights with Amazon. No problem. The only thing it would need is a setup, and the Kentucky's are usually easy to set up compared to 'The Loar' which can be a horrible job...

I'd go for it!!!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the classifieds.>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-07-2018 at 1:01pm.

As I said, that killer deal KM-150 from Amazon UK can't be shipped to France. I have to check if I can get a cheap ticket to UK and get it there... Seems complicated though.

Right now I'm hesitating between :
    - Kentucky KM-150 from Amazon 400€
    - The Loar 590 from Thomann 548€
    - Eastman MD 305 from Kieran Moloney 575€

Never thought choosing a mandolin would take me so much time ! It's a pleasure though haha. It's even harder without actually touching the instrument.

For what it's worth, I recently purchased at Kentucky A-style mandolin (the KM-252) and I'm head over heels in love with it. Couldn't recommend it highly enough, and from everything I have read about the KM-150 it seems to garner similar reviews. I would go for that, and use any extra money to get yourself some picks/books/strap/whatever other accessories you want.

Thanks for making me aware of this - I've just ordered one - seems like a bargain. I've also found a really experienced player locally who said they'd help me with the setup if it's challenging. Will arrive on Valentines day :-)