Thread: compilations of Beethoven mandolin music.

Default compilations of Beethoven mandolin music.

many many years ago I purchased a couple of German books published by Zimmermann "Musik Fur Mandoline" Heft 5 and Heft 6, that contained, I think, all of his mandolin music, along with separate mandolin, piano, and a nice guitar accompaniment. They seem to be out of print. Anyone know of something equivalent?
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Default Re: compilations of Beethoven mandolin music.

There are only I believe 4 pieces that have survived. I think I had an urtext German collection but I would have to dig it out. IMSLP has 2 or 3 of the pieces. Prob not the variations which is the most interesting to me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, I have the Henle urtext edition.
    I prefer urtext to try out my own fingering and dynamics.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I just had a look at a German sheet music store's website:
    There's a book available with four pieces:
    Sonatine c-Moll, Sonatine C-Dur, Adagio ma non troppo Es-Dur, Variationen D-Dur
    https://www.alle-noten.de/Gitarre-E-...4-Stuecke.html

And the Henle Urtext edition, Jim wrote about, with the same pieces.
    https://www.alle-noten.de/Gitarre-E-...d-Klavier.html
    Both books contain the original arrangements for mandolin and piano, no guitar notation...

I ordered the book from alle noten. I worry about ur text editions being difficult to read, athough I don't know about this particular one.
    Mitch Lawyer

Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Why would urtext be difficult to read?

Here are low-res samples from the Henle book:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file_1_page_1.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	164617 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file_2_page_1.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	164618

Maybe you don't know what an urtext edition is? I have a feeling that you think it is the original in the composer's hand. The Henle I refer to is typeset very clearly.

Here is the definition and a discussionof urtexts on wikipedia.

"An urtext edition of a work of classical music is a printed version intended to reproduce the original intention of the composer as exactly as possible, without any added or changed material."

Years ago I found one edition of Beethoven that had some really awkward fingering. The early composers would not indicate fingering and often not even dynamics or phrasing. I prefer ti work out my own fingering, dynamics, and phrasing. Otherwise you are just adding someone else's opinion of how it should be played or, in the case of music for, say violin, fingering that might make sense for that instrument but not for mandolin.

Just saying...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

VCM lists Beethoven's sonatina in C minor as one possible piece for the grade 4 exam.
    They recommend the Henle edition. http://www.vcmexams.co.uk/pdfdocs/Mandolin.pdf

That sounds quite playable, too bad there is no edition with a guitar acompaniment...

That looks nice. I might have to order that as well.

I might have the urtext confused with facsimile.
    Mitch Lawyer

Jones OM, Hums bowlback

I am going to need to order this. Beethoven is my favorite composer to play on the piano, and I am hoping I will enjoy his work every bit as much on mandolin.

Beethoven wrote these for a patroness who was an amateur player so they are actually easy compared to his other works.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

As to a Guitar accompaniment, per crisscross’s interest, I know of 3. The German Music fur Mandoline by Zimmerman, Butch Baldassarri’s Cantabile book transposed to D minor, & the Walter K Bauer book Familiar Music for Mandolin, also transposed to D Minor.
    If you find the Piano part, it is fairly easy to take the stacked notes & sus out the chords. You could write in the chords for a Guitarist to comp. I’ve had the Guitar guy I play with, comp it as a Jazz waltz. Kind of fun.
    Joe B

13. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Well. I think I ordered it. I don't read German, and there was no English translation that I saw, so this could be interesting to see what I get! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Well. I think I ordered it. I don't read German, and there was no English translation that I saw, so this could be interesting to see what I get! LOL!!!
    Which did you order and where did you order it (whatever it is you ordered)?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

If you're referring to the German Zimmerman edition, it's just notes on paper. Standard notation, the universal Music language.
    That's a good reason to learn to read Music.
    Joe B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Which did you order and where did you order it (whatever it is you ordered)?
    The Henle Urtext edition from the link above. All of the instructions etc were in German on the site, but I used PayPal so that should help. I DO read Spanish and French, and could kind of guess what it was saying I think!
    Not concerned about the music part, I read music from 52years of playing piano. It was the ordering the music I was kind of concerned about! LOL!!

For what it's worth, my favorite of Beethoven's four extant mandolin works is the Adagio in E-flat.

Too much tremolo sounds way out of place to me in these pieces, but can be effective for color and contrast, especially in the C minor sonatina. A couple examples: Richard Walz's recording (the second shared by crisscross above) uses a fine reproduction of an early Neapolitan type by Wolfgang Fruh in historic stringing (g'-g in octave tuning of silver-wound silk and plain brass wire, d' in twisted brass, a' in plain brass, and e'' in gut). Alison Stephens' old recording of same is the perfect opposite regarding contrasting sections through the use of tremolo:

Alison recorded with an Embergher.

PS: I've played three of them to guitar accompaniment (the variations in D excepted). I'm not certain where my accompanist got the arrangements, but he may have made them himself. Giuseppe Aneda recorded the variations in D with Umberto Leonardo on guitar, so it has at least been done.

I bought both the Behrend edition for Zimmermann and the Hladky edition as a student, and was sort of horrified at how different they were, and with no footnotes! Notes are different, one has the mandolin playing where there is a rest in the other edition, and one has repeats with second endings that the other does not. I would definitely trust the Henle edition as the most accurate.

21. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

I recently purchased the Henle edition and it's fine. Large and easy to read and you figure out your own fingering which suits me fine. Same with the piano part. It's a first class document.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars