Thread: Dead D and D# on E-strings

Default Dead D and D# on E-strings

Recently had a setup and new bridge installed by the local luthier. The mandolin sounds outstanding except for the D and D# on the E-strings (both of them). They are dead - no bell like tone, nothing - just kind of a thud. The frets were smoothed out and the fret by the D seems to be OK. If this is a familiar occurrence to some of you builders, can you explain what's happening to me please? I'd like to be a little informed before I go to the luthier to ask him about it. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Dead D and D# on E-strings

My first thought is a slightly elevated 12th fret. If frets #10 and #11 sound bad and fret #12 sounds okay, #12 is probably a little higher than it should be. or... #10 and #11 are too low due to damage or a warp in the neck. Get a couple donuts and a coffee and bring them to your luthier (not that you need to but rather to just be friendly). It ain't a big deal to make this right. They just missed it. Its an honest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrnchbndr View Post
    My first thought is a slightly elevated 12th fret. If frets #10 and #11 sound bad and fret #12 sounds okay, #12 is probably a little higher than it should be. or... #10 and #11 are too low due to damage or a warp in the neck. Get a couple donuts and a coffee and bring them to your luthier (not that you need to but rather to just be friendly). It ain't a big deal to make this right. They just missed it. Its an honest mistake.
    Ahhhh....that's great news - thank you so much!

+1, sometimes the frets aren't non-level enough to buzz, but just enough to rob all the energy from the strings.

Bottom line is that while we all try to spot issues like this, sometimes an instrument needs a jolly good playing before they turn up. Don't suffer in silence, take it back and explain - or better - demonstrate - the issue, and if your luthier is any good they'll put it right for you.

Or.... if the action is super-duper low on the e, you could just raise the action on the treble side a touch.

Or.... if the temperature and humidity varies a lot between your place and your luthier's - as in one of you lives up a mountain or something - then that might have thrown things out if they were too close to the edge to begin with. Again, sometimes no way to tell when you're too close to the edge till you fall over it

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    +1, sometimes the frets aren't non-level enough to buzz, but just enough to rob all the energy from the strings.

Bottom line is that while we all try to spot issues like this, sometimes an instrument needs a jolly good playing before they turn up. Don't suffer in silence, take it back and explain - or better - demonstrate - the issue, and if your luthier is any good they'll put it right for you.

Or.... if the action is super-duper low on the e, you could just raise the action on the treble side a touch.

Or.... if the temperature and humidity varies a lot between your place and your luthier's - as in one of you lives up a mountain or something - then that might have thrown things out if they were too close to the edge to begin with. Again, sometimes no way to tell when you're too close to the edge till you fall over it
    Thanks for the input. Armed with this info I called the luthier and he was very nice and said it definitely should not be like that and to bring it in!