Thread: Camp/Backseat/Universal Mandolin

Default Camp/Backseat/Universal Mandolin

A friend was asking me about a mandolin that he could throw in the back of his car, take on camping trips (lucky bugger), fishing, or where-ever and would hold up and play well.

Was going to mention the Rogue, but I don't think a Rogue would stand up to such. The guy plays his guitar out of the back of his Cadillac for fun and gospel gatherings ... well guess they don't have a Cadillac anymore but he does a lot of traveling and he's on the road a lot. Guess he's thinking he needs to retire his guitar to be at home and was encouraged by a video that I was in. He likes the "almost banjo sound" as he put it.

Am not an expert, obviously, and know nothing of a quality F holed instrument that would probably be in a softcase and riding it the back seat of whatever he's driving these days.

Was going to recommend a Loar’s Honey Creek mandolin kit/deal from Elderly but I know nothing about The Loar other than they are made in China. Am assuming it would be of better quality than a Rogue and survive the backseat of Chuck's driving.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Default Re: Camp/Backseat/Universal Mandolin

I don't know what the budget is, but finding a used Michael Kelly might fit the bill. This sounds like one time I'm not going to suggest a Kentucky KM 150 if you know it's going to get abused. My MK is built like a tank, the finish is industrial, and the detail less than stellar, but it is stout and has survived camping pratfalls and lived. After a ton of work, it sounds pretty good for what it is. I don't knowingly subject it to hot trunks and such, but it does get left out on my desktop for easy grab and play. It is also all solid wood.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My mandolins are solidly upper-midrange instruments, both roughly $3K if I were to attempt to replace them. You would probably recognize the brand names. I play them. Really, I don’t understand why I would want a mandolin which I valued less to play at the lake or camped out or at a festival. I struggled many years with various junk and not so junky instruments. It’s more fun with good mandolins. They sound good, and sometimes I sound good playing them. I don’t look to resell, my daughter can deal with that when I am gone. These are the mandolins I always wanted and they were made to be played.
    Mike Snyder

4. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Chuck has the funds, but he also has a wife. (snicker) Am guessing he could sneak something under the rug if wasn't too expensive. We see him occasionally, and he's the one that kept our fellowship playing nearly every Saturday.

Some days he would like get up go someplace (spontaneously) taking a couple of us with him, spend an hour+ driving to some secret spot, get out and take a nap. When he woke up, if the sun was still up, would jam for a while. He's like a happy 'go lucky' guy, and he married a pastor's daughter. (LOL)

Thought I'd give him some options. Am sure he would take care of it and all, as he's never abused his guitar. But since he travels a lot he probably wants something small, and he was looking at a ukulele once. As much as he travels up and down Oregon you'd think he'd stop in Burns and find a better deal than I could online.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

I've taken my Alvarez A-100 Mandolin camping and boating.
    It is a lot nice than the rogue.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I use my [the] Loar LM 170 for camping, festivals, travel, church camps.... I even set it on the floor and let my daughter's (5 and 2yo) play it! It's a b-stock I bought for $170. It's not built like a tank but it's solid enough and was cheap enough that if anything were to happen I'd be ok. Its "replaceable" financially and emotionally.

I have a Kentucky KM 140 that I use for such occasions. I paid $160 for it and it came well set-up. On nice summer days I sling the strap over my shoulder and take it on long bike rides through the Idaho country-side (I live near Coeur D'Alene).

The interesting thing about instruments and camping is that many of us go to festivals where we camp for a week or more (the Weiser fiddle contest, for example) and bring our finest instruments with nary a thought. I bring my varnished Collings and have many friends that bring their Gilchrist's. So far so good in spite of all that mother nature hands us!

-Sam

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I used to take my ovation with the plastic back it is almost indestructible, but the last few years I have been just picking one unless it is a good chance of rain then the ovation comes with me
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Especially in the outdoors, the lively resonance of a quality instrument is enjoyed - merely enhancing the natural beauty around.

My first mandolin was a product from a (then) new company in MT - a flatiron pancake which I tossed into my backpack, without a case. These instruments (mndlns) are actually quite rugged and, imo, should be well used and kept handy. MV

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I have no problem taking my Gibson on a camping trip. Maybe I'm missing something. That said, both my 1930 L1 and my 1920 A3 have gone on car trips and camping trips. They are doing just fine.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I have my "festie" mandolin that I take when I'm camping and expect a good range of temperatures. It's a relatively inexpensive $400 mandolin. If it breaks or gets stolen, I might be a little upset (it's signed by a lot of folks like Chris Thile, Sam Bush, David Grisman, Tim O'Brien etc) but life moves on. If someone stole my $3k Gibson or if it broke - I'd be more upset haha. I do take the Gibson to some festivals but only if I have a place I can stash it that's out of the sun (and my tent) and I'm not afraid of theft.

I'd suggest just finding a mandolin that is inexpensive and ride with that. Eastman, Loar, Washburn, Fender, etc. While the lower price usually means lower quality - for what it sounds like he wants, it's probably fine.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

All I know is I was awful glad I didn't have my SA in my hand when I tripped on a tree root and braced my fall with my MK in my hand. Thought the bridge would crack the top for sure, but other than broken strings, no damage done. Not so sure with a varnish finish and a top carved for tone.

Generally I agree that instruments should be played. I take my best guitars everywhere, but they are forty five and fifty five years old and if they get dented, I wouldn't be able to point out which was the new one LOL.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

No wooden instrument does very well in a continually hot car. And it sounds like he doesn’t own any mandolins at all. Get a decent instrument you will enjoy playing, a hard case and be sensible in care and it will repay you in kind. I am not sure what you are asking.

The alternative to the above is to get the cheapest instrument and treat it terribly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There are times and places for inexpensive instruments. Last weekend played a set of tunes for dancers outside when the temperature was in the mid teens, Fahrenheit. Was glad I brought my plywood Californian. Played the dance that evening on my Gibson. Wouldn't have wanted to only have one instrument. FWIW, the accordion player also used a cheaper instrument for that set.

Yes, I know folks who regularly play good instruments in extreme weather conditions. That's not my thing.

Yikes, Eric. You Minnesotans are extra-hearty. Mid-teens outside? Probably that would be fine for plywood mandolin (I would hope). OTOH I would worry about any accordion in that weather. The bellows might crack and the wax that holds the reeds together could do the same. Don't they have indoor heating in MN?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yeah, I'd stay indoors if freezing, so don't ask me. Carbon fiber?

Then again? Plywood to pickup will support talent!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

My Flatiron pancake 2MB fills this role. Camping, busking, through the Panama Canal, Europe twice, busking in Ireland, Hungary, Austria, Boulder, and laying around the house.
    Play em like you know em!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yikes, Eric. You Minnesotans are extra-hearty. Mid-teens outside? Probably that would be fine for plywood mandolin (I would hope). OTOH I would worry about any accordion in that weather. The bellows might crack and the wax that holds the reeds together could do the same. Don't they have indoor heating in MN?
    The accordion player a had a Hohner he uses for those type of shows. We were outside. And it wasn't in Minnesota. We were playing in Hancock, Michigan as part of a Finnish festival. Was a great experience, even though I'd never played with this particular player before and he has a habit of switching keys in a tune without calling out the change.

But it's for things like that where I am a firm believer in owning a "beater" instrument. Could have played the Gibson, but would have spent the rest of the time up there trying to get the tuning to stabilize once we got back inside.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

===========

+1 on The Loar and Kentucky . . . both make very respectable mandolins at very affordable prices .. . .

Eastman 305 or 315...quality instruments, surprisingly good tone, and my 315 has served me well camping/hiking/beaching, etc. KM 150 if budget is a little less.

Also, could consider a used Sonny Morris a style. Usually sell for less than 1K, and may be a nice tie to the pacific NW theme...
    Chuck

I'd go too, but I'm afraid I'll get the camper dirty.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Strad-O-Lin. Google around, try to find one like this one Elderly sold for $175. Prices have gone up on Strads, but you should be able to find one for ±$300 somewhere.

Cheap Chinese hardshell case, and you're good to go. Clunky looking, surprisingly good sounding, probably won't break the bank.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    The accordion player a had a Hohner he uses for those type of shows. We were outside. And it wasn't in Minnesota. We were playing in Hancock, Michigan as part of a Finnish festival. Was a great experience, even though I'd never played with this particular player before and he has a habit of switching keys in a tune without calling out the change.

But it's for things like that where I am a firm believer in owning a "beater" instrument. Could have played the Gibson, but would have spent the rest of the time up there trying to get the tuning to stabilize once we got back inside.
    Ah, that explains it. So you play outside in 15° F weather, then you run into the sauna, then you dive into the lake. I hope the mandolin and accordion can take the temperature changes and are waterproof.

BTW I love Finnish music though have only played a few tunes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I suspect that shopping for a "camping" or "beater" mando is just another manifestation of MAS!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Get the Rogue and go through a setup with him. The cheapie instruments tend to be overbuilt if anything, so it ought to be pretty durable.If it falls in the lake while he's fishing, or if he cooks it in a hot car, he's not out much.
    Heck, for $100 he can get a mandolin AND a guitar with the Rogue combo.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.