Thread: need a rosette

Default need a rosette

In the past I've gotten A4/F4 rosettes from Roger Siminoff, but that is no longer an option, and I'm in need of a rosette now... Actually, half of a rosette would do it, since I'm repairing an A4 that had a badly broken top and nearly half of the rosette is missing.
    Whoever it was that I talked to at the current Siminoff supply business didn't know of a source for rosettes, so I'm asking here if anyone knows a source.
    Also, if there is a chance that someone broke one in half and kept the pieces...

If it comes down to it, I might have to make a rosette myself, but I'm hoping to avoid that if possible.

Default Re: need a rosette

I believe Gail Hester used to make her own rosettes. Even she states in a later article that she bought them from Roger. Hopefully whomever was his source is a cafe member.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-on-building-a
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

Can't help with a finished rosette, but you can get the ivoroid for the center ring from Axiom, Inc, and the diagonal purfling and wood strips from Euphonon in NH.

It can't be as hard to make as fancy Larson purfling, which I have had to do. Unless someone else can come up with something, you'll probably have to just hunker down and make it.

How about Gurian Guitar, gurianinstruments.com? I don't see mandolin rosettes, but they certainly have all the materials.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A