Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thinking about getting a oval hole mandolin

Default Re: thinking about getting a oval hole mandolin

After playing f hole mandolins for years, I bought an eastman 504 after a head stock break. It really doesn't matter what you buy, you just want it to sound like an old gibson, and i'm sure all of these mentioned do. It requires a different playing technique, and unlocking that technique will be a joy to your playing. Listen to Peter Ostroushko play his old gibson.

what is the best place to look for old Gibson A mandolins other than here ?.

There are a lot of good suggestions with a vintage Gibson. But, there are some differences with an Eastman 404. The Eastman is mahogany back and sides. Most vintage Gibson oval holes are birch or sometimes maple. The Eastman has a radius fingerboard and larger frets. An old Gibson can have those added, but at additional cost. Finally, the cost - while old Gibsons are not that expensive right now, it'll take a while to find a Gibson a similar price. Yeah, the vintage aspect is nice. But so is the idea of having an instrument with no issues that won't need new frets and/or other major work any time soon.

And I'm saying this as a person who has a vintage Gibson oval hole.

The flat top suggestion is also nice. Those are different sounding instruments. They do not sound like a carved top. I love my Big Muddy. But it definitely doesn't sound like an Eastman 404. An entirely different beast, IMO. Not saying one is better than the other. Just different.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    I see them pop up on CL below a grand in and around my state several times a year. If you have a mandolin to play now and can be patient its doable. They are old and there can be issues. If you fancy getting one - learn all you can about them so you'll be the informed buyer not the surprised buyer.

A quality flattop would be my second choice. Would be easier to obtain and definitely more budget friendly.

Hard to beat an old dog eared Gibby tho. I had a chance to get one starting out but it looked too worn. Now that's cool to me. I was re-calibrated somewhere along the way.

I have a 504. Love the thing.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    They made thousands of them. They can even find their way into your friendly neighborhood music store every now and then.
    The major vintage instrument stores often have them. Check Gruhn Guitars, Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia, Elderly, Bernunzio Uptown Music, and Gryphon. That's an incomplete list of the usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    They made thousands of them. They can even find their way into your friendly neighborhood music store every now and then.
    The major vintage instrument stores often have them. Check Gruhn Guitars, Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia, Elderly, Bernunzio Uptown Music, and Gryphon. That's an incomplete list of the usual suspects.
    I just searched six or seven prominent dealers and found quite a few. These are all kind of top dollar shops, but you know you are buying a solid instrument. Most were north of fifteen hundred, but a few were around a thousand. Those were mandolins of the A and Jr ilk with non original parts and rough finishes. But they sound the same as the museum pieces.

I've never played a new pac rim oval that had that sound though, and if it's what you are looking for, nothing else will do.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I heartily recommend owning an oval hole Gibson mandolin as part of a well diversified mandolin musical palette. I got my 1916 F-4 in 1975 or 6 and have never been tempted to sell it. Its got "that" oval hole arch top sound. Of course, you will need an F hole mandolin to add that voice to the mix. Get the one that fits in your budget (A or F) and never have to make any apologies in any playing situation. My 2 cents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonMandos2091104..jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	164624

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I’ve played a few 404s. They were alright but I would recommend the 504 over it. I just like the Eastman 500 line as a value proposition.

Gibson ovalhole are worth considering as long as you unserstand that you are taking on the care and maintenance of a vintage instrument. Its another level of commitment.

If you are looking at the Eastman, this just showed up in the classifieds.........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/120472#120472

I have owned a number of Gibson A model mandolins from the teens. While they can have a lovely sound and a cool vibe, I found as I got older I can no longer tolerate the over sized necks.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

I have owned a number of Gibson A model mandolins from the teens. While they can have a lovely sound and a cool vibe, I found as I got older I can no longer tolerate the over sized necks.
    It all depends on your point of view. To me, modern mandolin necks are undersized and difficult to play.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    It all depends on your point of view. To me, modern mandolin necks are undersized and difficult to play.
    I am with Charles, I have a wonderful '22 A2 that I rarely play because of two things, the neck is 1 1/4" at the nut and doesn't have the reach of a modern neck. The sound however is oh so lovely. I believe for us age has made a difference as I use to play this all the time, but since going to a slim modern neck it is what I prefer. Or should I say what my aging hands prefer.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

One thing I like about my Gibson is the neck. Fits my hand well and makes it easy to reach and play either lead or chords. Just did a quick comparison between it and my new Big Muddy MW-0. The necks feel very similar.

I also agree that a vintage Gibson oval hole has it's own sound. But there is a ton of difference in them. Mine is very bass heavy. The other mandolin player in our band has one that is much more even sounding. And I believe his is louder, too.

If you're still interested in Eastman, besides the 504, there is (was?) a 304 model, too. Matte finish, less expensive tuners and tailpiece. I've liked the 3xx series models I've tried. Might be worth searching for one. And it's cheaper, too. If that matters.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I hated parting ways with my 1928 A-4 because it had the voice of the angels. But I simply could not handle the neck. I've owned several vintage Gibsons and eventually I've let each go for the same reason.

I agree with fatt-dad. My 1920 Gibson A-2 paddle head is my mandolin for life. Will never sell it, no matter what other mandolins I own (I do have a Weber "Bighorn" ff hole two-point). There is a difference between individual Gibsons, but when you find a really good one, it is one to keep. The ones built about 1920 seem to be especially good.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I have owned a short neck oval but I now prefer the longer neck oval especially the Girouard oval A.

The basic Northridge oval hole f style I played last week was fabulous, as were the Collings A styles. In fact an oval hole took everythingi I don't care for in the tone of a Collings away.

In the last six months, Gryphon had several beautiful old Gibsons that were great too. I will own one someday, bot not a pristine A2z. More like a Jr.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1