Thread: Flattop body dimensions.

Default Flattop body dimensions.

I’ve been having a great time with my Beavertail flattop mandolin. I think it sounds great. I’m using a light pick, an Ultex 60, with a light touch. It’s not loud played this way, but has a beautiful, sweet tone. After concentrating on tenor guitar and fiddle for over a year, and not playing mandolin, I’m finally starting to feel comfortable with it.

Anyway, the Beavertail is really small, and it seems like flattops in particular are all over the place body size wise. It’s a 9 5/8” width and two inches thick. An Earnest Passione flattop is 10 5/8” wide and 2.5” thick. That is a significant difference and I’m curious about other flattops and how it effects tone.

Anyone care to post the dimensions of their flattop? How about other pancakes..... flatiron, Poe, Redline? The only other flattop I have so far is the Fylde Touchstone at 11 1/8” wide and 2 3/8” thick.

Thanks,
    bruce
    Last edited by bruce.b; Jan-30-2018 at 6:08pm.

Default Re: Flattop body dimensions.

My Soviet-era Lunacharsky flattop is 2 5/8" deep, 10 5/8" wide. Scale is 13 3/4" with overall length being 23 3/4".

3. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

My Big Muddy M-11 is 9.25" wide and just a hair over 2" deep. I really like the small size of the Big Muddy, as well as the ding-resistant natural finish. Mandolins with the hard, shiny finishes are beautiful, but I'd be afraid to play one.

I also have a Big Muddy mini-mo, which is only 1.5" deep, otherwise the same dimensions as other Big Muddies. It has a very nice sound, although I find it hard to get good tone on the lowest bass notes on it. That's no doubt due to my lack of skill, since the action is not set low and I'm a new player.
    Last edited by Dacnis; Jan-30-2018 at 7:39pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Dacnis for this post:

A real oddball, the Seagull S8, but one with a fair amount of volume for its size.

Dimensions & Specs
    Body Depth 1.85 inches
    Body Length 12.24 inches
    Lower Bout 8.22 inches
    Nut Width 1.19 inches
    Scale 13.88 inches
    Upper Bout 5 inches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	803.2 KB 
ID:	164525
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A real oddball, the Seagull S8, but one with a fair amount of volume for its size.

Dimensions & Specs
    Body Depth 1.85 inches
    Body Length 12.24 inches
    Lower Bout 8.22 inches
    Nut Width 1.19 inches
    Scale 13.88 inches
    Upper Bout 5 inches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	803.2 KB 
ID:	164525
    I know everyone has their own tonal goals. I sold my Seagull S8 shortly after getting it, though. It was well built and great volume, though the setup was poor--action and frets way too high. But that's not why I sold it. It had a tinny sound. I put Silk & Steel strings on it and it still was, to me, over bright and tinny. I wonder if mine was a dud. It is one of the few mandolins I've ever heard that I really did not like the voice of. A shame--I liked the look.

The Seagull is trebly for sure. I played one in a local big box store and surprisingly it was set up perfectly. OTOH I do understand not wanting one as your main instrument. Not mellow at all but I think it would do well in a large jam.

BTW I would guess that silk and steel might tone it down volumewise, but I think flatwounds would be better to cut the trebly tone.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Hathway I used in the other thread is :
    Width at widest point : 9. 5"
    Depth : 2.25"
    Body : 11.5"
    Scale 13.75"
    Nut width 1 5/16"

I guess the other thing is body shape, some seem almost circular, others more teardrop/onion the Hathway is the latter.

I think he does a large bodied one as well.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

11. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    The Hathway I used in the other thread is :
    Width at widest point : 9. 5"
    Depth : 2.25"
    Body : 11.5"
    Scale 13.75"
    Nut width 1 5/16"

I guess the other thing is body shape, some seem almost circular, others more teardrop/onion the Hathway is the latter.

I think he does a large bodied one as well.
    You've just saved me a job

13. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

derbex