Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

Default Re: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

I have audacity and a laptop and it works, but another way to go is a stand alone 8 track by Fostex, tascam or Zoom as well as several others. I have a Fostex 8 track mk2 that records to SD cards and has usb out as well as headphone and line out. These little recorders have 2 xlr inputs and an internal mic as well. Phantom power is low voltage so close micing with a dynamic mic is necessary but one of these recorders can be found used for a $100 or less. Easy to use and cost less than a decent microphone interphase for your computer.
    Jim Richmond

So many solutions. I've done many of them.

Tascam Multitrack: Really poor preamps. Sounds not so good.
    Computer Interface: Cumbersome for portable needs.
    Phone: It's never charged, right? Plus it does everything well, but not great.
    Zoom Portable Recorders: The best solution. Easy, great sound, immediate, etc.

Verdict: A used Zoom H2n can do multitrack, function as a computer interface, and record with on-board mics. It's really the perfect solution. Chews up batteries, long boot time (20-30 seconds) but the combo XLR inputs means you can run anything into it.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

3. The following members say thank you to Brian Harris for this post:

If you ever need a computer for any reason I would say look at a mac or mac book.

Garage band is free. $50 for a USB mic. No interface needed and you're good to go.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

5. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Seems about every time I convince myself to get a recorder I look at the wind screen, tripod, case, adapter ... price expands exponentially. Gah!

Yet at times, like yesterday, found a tune of sorts - or it found me. Was looking for something to record it. Smartphone has the worst sounding recording yet. Only other thing I had was a GoPro Hero Session. By the time of cutting that down to a format that wasn't huge the sound was worse.
    Neither computer records decent, and the main PC squeals with a mic plugged into the soundcard.

Still looking for something that I can record on the fly, whenever or where ever I am. If can recharge by USB, I've got plenty of rechargeable power packs & a Suntactic's 8W solar panel. Want to keep cost down, yet would still like the ability to listen to the track, and record another using a different instrument. And so on and so forth.

Can't seem to pull the trigger on a $200+ system.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

I’ve had the DR07-mkii for about 4 years now and it works great. I got it because I thought I might do multi tracks but I don’t...in any case it’s a great little recorder either in my music room or on the fly at camps or concerts. It’s been replaced by the 22wl which is wireless and maybe a little better interface (touchscreen maybe?) but it’s really not difficult to figure out the older one. If you’re looking for bare bones get the dr-05, that’s a great little recorder but only single track.

I’ve loaded the tracks into Audacity and messed around so if I ever spent some time learning Audacity I could probably get something multi track recorded but these days I’ve pulled out my boss rc-1 and just put down a loop to practice with. There is also an app called Loopy that’s got up to 12 tracks I think but as with Audacity I’ve not spent the time to actually learn how to use it - there is a great demo of Loopy by Jimmy Fallon and Billy Joel.

I looked at the Zoom’s at the time and not really sure why but just decided the Tascam was preferable...I think they r pretty much equal across the board at each particular level so you won’t go completely wrong with either. Skip the windscreen, power cord,...etc and just use batteries. Unless you’re going on hours and hours they last quite awhile.

Keep an eye on Amazon and B&H Video...every so often a sale pops up and I got mine for a very good price.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I note a lot of people use Audacity, I had always heard it had a really steep learning curve, is that accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Seems about every time I convince myself to get a recorder I look at the wind screen, tripod, case, adapter ... price expands exponentially. Gah!

Can't seem to pull the trigger on a $200+ system.

my Dad was a master at modifying stuff with cheap/discarded materials..there were times his wind screen/pop filter was literally a sock on the microphone. And it did a very serviceable job.

Check Craigslist, take your time, and I am a big proponent of the Zoom R24. Technology has passed me by to the point that I refer to my phone as the blinking 12:00 on the VCR of my life...but I figured out the basics of the Zoom R24 well enough to lay scratch tracks that make me happy and if I fiddled around with a Daw I think I would have a shareable recording even. Got it for I think 75 bucks from a guy a year or two ago and never regretted it.

Got a deal at people's favorite whipping boy, Guitar Center, on a Soundbrenner mic and stand, and by using some of Dad's tricks have basically pulled together a setup I think like what you are looking for under 200 bucks, it takes time and patience but it is well worth it to get things like you are trying down to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Barton View Post
    I note a lot of people use Audacity, I had always heard it had a really steep learning curve, is that accurate?
    absolutely untrue - audacity is perhaps the easiest of all.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

11. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Barton View Post
    Hi Drew, I was able to upload the mp3 and mess around clipping it and such with no knowledge of the program. There are a couple of YouTube videos I used to figure it out. People here mention Garage Band as pretty easy to use but it’s a mystery to me. I’m not really into multi track recording anyway and I’m getting better at recording myself for friends/teacher.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Windscreen is critical in the wind. No wind, you are fine without one. This will be the same situation no matter what you use, be it a mic, phone, whatever. I take my windscreen when I am doing an outdoor project, but I am not expecting to make good quality recordings when there is wind. I am hoping to make it usable when there is no choice (filming outdoors).

Tripod: I do mount mine on a full size tripod all the time, but it is because we already own a few. I wouldn't have bought one just for the recorder. I also mount it on Mic stands, Light Stands, or just sit it nearby. Mine is almost always attached to a tiny tripod I have (now this I would buy again, but not a necessity). It is just as easy to sit it on a book or something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	166062
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8705.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	166063

Case: These things are durable, and a case just makes it less convent. Stick it in a sock. Seriously, I use socks, extra Sunglass pouches and Crown Royal bags for GoPros and lens, etc... Even for things that I have nice cases for. It is just too bulky to carry everything in cases and I like to leave them mounted to things and ready to go.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    I usually use Audacity, which is free, and a $50 USB condenser mic I bought 10 years ago. Cheap but very adequate. But the other day I found something even cheaper for getting a basic overdubbed recording. You can record your first instrument on your phone. Samsung and iPhone make really decent field recordings. Save it as an MP3 and email it to yourself. Or transfer it to your computer using a cable. Then play it from your computer through your stereo for good volume and tone, while playing along on the next instrument and recording with the phone. Not great sound, but not bad either.
    Likewise Tom ....I bought an ART usb mic , plugged it into my laptop and fired up the free download of AUDACITY .Simple , clean ,intuitive , convenient , great SOUND ( SEE MY POST FOR IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN UNDER ' kentucky ') and ...did I mention .....FREE !

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Likewise Tom ....I bought an ART usb mic , plugged it into my laptop and fired up the free download of AUDACITY .Simple , clean ,intuitive , convenient , great SOUND ( SEE MY POST FOR IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN UNDER ' kentucky ') and ...did I mention .....FREE !
    Can you play back the main tune & record another track(s) simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    absolutely untrue - audacity is perhaps the easiest of all.

yup ....for straight up multi-tracking it don't get no easier than Audacity . AND you can see everything , which makes it even easier still , in my opinion

- - - Updated - - -

Can you play back the main tune & record another track(s) simultaneously?
    absolutely .......

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    If you ever need a computer for any reason I would say look at a mac or mac book.

Garage band is free. $50 for a USB mic. No interface needed and you're good to go.
    Not the case in my admittedly very limited experience. Absolutely yes on Mac and GB, but the USB mics tend to break up and distort at higher levels, that really aren’t that high. They’re fine for podcasting, but, unless you drop coin for one of the higher end ones, won’t work well unless you play/sing at low levels. Interface with an inexpensive Rode RT-1 and an SM 57 have worked much better for me...

YMMV, NFI, etc...
    Chuck

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So had this idea... how to record the Mandolin, Overtone Flute, Didgeridoo, and a rawhide drum into one MP3 file without having technical knowledge & a degree in engineering to perform such a feat.
    If the issue is to achieve this at low cost, my vote goes to buying a suitable USB microphone (I use a Blue Snowball mic), downloading Audacity, and getting started. Yes, the use of the software has to be learnt. But that's also the case for any portable recorder, where you have to get used to the hardware and software before recording.

Of course, if you need greater portability than you have with a laptop and microphone, a portable recorder becomes a good option. I wonder if you have a retailer near you who could demonstrate how to use it or even let you try. Doing your research on the web is good, but ultimately the chemistry between you and the device needs to be right.

FWIW I use my Zoom H1 as a USB mic. into Audacity, and it's also a portable recorder if I need one.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

For always with me fun that in my experience sounds surprisingly decent, FourTracks on my iPhone is very cool. I have dedicated options (including Audacity) as well, but sometimes the spontaneous pocket app is really the ticket.
    Blow on, man.

FWIW I use my Zoom H1 as a USB mic. into Audacity, and it's also a portable recorder if I need one.
    Same here, It isn't the best at this, but it works for most purposes.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

I find I have to run my h4n on battery to do that or I get a very noisy signal if I run it from the psu.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Wrote to Zoom, stated what I envisioned the recording device to be. And seriously, carrying a laptop all over is not going to happen.

● Built-in microphones
    ● Can record a variety of versions of a songs
    ● Allow me to choose which version I like. Then I can practice with another
    musical instrument, and allow me to record a track while still keeping the
    original. In which I can do this with various musical instruments, or voice
    (if I ever got that good).
    ● Would probably have to put all those tracks on a computer to bind them
    all together?
    ● A tune can hit me almost anywhere, and am often outside in good weather,
    traveling, tour cycling, hiking, at parks. Environmental effects could add to
    the sound.
    ● I play didgeridoo, mandolin, rawhide drum, flute, ocarina, tap sticks,
    lagerphone, egg shaker (grin), Juice Harp, harmonica, and so forth solo.
    If could get a recorder to play the base track and allow me to record these
    other instruments and record a separate track, and/or allow me to record from
    the base track with the new version, that would be the one to get.
    ● Would prefer variable options for mounting, but probably it would use its
    own tripod or clamp mount.
    ●Portable, meaning I can carry in a pack, coat pocket, biking pack, etc.
    ● Ability to connect to a computer to transfer
    ● Run on batteries, rechargeable if at all possible

That is what I envision I would want. Of coarse want decent battery life, the
    ability to recharge from the field, car, as well as indoors. Maybe the option
    to power with/from external sources too would be a plus.

And, would like to keep cost down as affordable as possible, as $400+ units
    are out of the question for me at this point in time.

Zoom responded, oddly, for the H1N. Figured they'd pick one of the higher end versions. Guess not all companies are out to sell you the maximum priced item.
    https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...handy-recorder

Did try the Moto E4, the recording was horrid and scratchy.
    Computer with an external Rat Shack condenser, could barely even hear what was recorded. Tele did better than Normal, even then the SB Xi-Fi just wasn't recording well.
    Haven't tried the Lenovo Z40-70 laptop yet.

I'm using an earlier version of this Shure LAvalier mic https://www.shure.co.uk/products/microphones/mvl which is designed to record audio direct to an iPhone. I clip it to the pickguard and then direct input to my mac (well almost, it goes through a thunderbird USB interface which decreases the latency) and then into Logic/GarageBand/audacity - though I'm beginning to prefer Logic. Note though it has a trs jack - so needs an adapter for some mic inputs.

for the price, it's pretty good, and it's versatile - I bought it originally for "talking heads" corporate videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I find I have to run my h4n on battery to do that or I get a very noisy signal if I run it from the psu.
    I think the H1 will run just off the USB power, mine generally does have a battery in it, equally generally it's flat but seem to work as a mic anyway.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

H1n appears to be a good choice for basic recording and higher battery life, whereas the H4n+ have better features for less battery run time. Wished could get a 'hands on' experience with various recorders and form a much better range of options and which one to go with.

For the types with less power life: Can they be used with external power rechargers, as in external power packs via USB?

There are A/C power adapters available, yet if one hikes back in the woods to a stream or waterfall to get recordings, there is not going to be power anywhere close by. Same for recording inside cave features or a natural rock formations, one might decide to spend a few days to play and record with natural environmental sounds.

Do remember playing the didgeridoo inside a dead Jordan volcano crater. The Sony Cyber-Shot camera did a horrible job in recording. Later on we found some natural rock formations with crevices that could of provided some awesome natural reverberation. You just never know when you find that "sweet spot" and want to get some recordings!!

Have a GoPro HERO Session that I can recharge using a SunTactics solar panel. Did a recording of a Weiser River Trail, 35 mile run, using that system. While the GoPro has its uses it, it does not have an audio only mode.
    Taking the GoPro to record a jam session does not work out very well, as people act all squirrely instead of ignoring it and the "beep, beep, beep" in between recordings.

Most all of these use standard AA batteries. I would bring extras and if needed, charge the batteries via Solar, outside of the recorder.

How many hours of record time do you think you will need?
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger