Thread: Stands for electrics?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Stands for electrics?

I’m looking for a mandolin stand for electric mandolins that has a base that sits a bit higher up off the ground. Both Stealie and Epi have their RCA plugs in the side of the instrument, the Rigel's in the end pin, and the jack for the Radius is pointed in a similar direction, e.g. more “down” than “out”. The cables need more room for floor clearance than is currently available. Any suggestions, short of having something custom made? TIA!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Default Re: Stands for electrics?

Hercules 3 instrument stands may give you enough height, as they’re adjustable to accommodate mandolin up to guitar sized instruments. I don’t personally have one yet, but will probably get one in the near future after a recent thread here about 3 instrument stands...
    Chuck

3. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Dave Sheets

I have one of the hercules 3 instrument stands, it will handle a mandolin, mandola and electric guitar at the same time. Nothing is ever really perfect, but this is a good stand. NFI.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Blog Entries

Cables with right-angle plugs solve these problems, as well as protecting the output jack on the instrument from torquing stress if you step on the cable. The reason the standard phone plug is straight is because it was used in patch panels for telephone operators to be able to grab and re-plug into another line. If you loop your cable through the strap you would benefit from the right-angle plug, as it keeps things closer and neater.

Switchcraft makes a good right-angle plug, and I like the ones George L uses, which minimal and very low-profile.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

+1 on the right angle plug, it's all I use for the instrument side of the cord, and sometimes for both sides depending on the use of the cord.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I use K&M folding stands and right-angle jacks.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Thanks for the responses so far. I've tried the right angle plugs and haven't been thrilled. At the least the particular cable I've used has not been too happy staying fully plugged in on at least one instrument. So, that said, I love the Whirlwind Elite (straight end) cables I have been using out of the instrument to the amp or fx board. I may try out one of their right angle cables to see if it is any better than the one I had been using.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Some are much better than others, as has been mentioned Switchcraft is one of the best, but they make two and again one is much better than the other. Get the barrel ones, not the flat backed ones.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Here are the Switchcraft (on left) and George L right-angle plugs. George Ls do not need soldering. They don't use these on the pre-made cables but assembly does not require soldering--one buys several feet of cable and some plugs. George L cables also have a bit more high frequency clarity. They're my favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugs.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	529.4 KB 
ID:	164474
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Clamp on neck cradle hangers can go on a Mic or Music stand shaft.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

16. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Update:

So, after a long while I ended up with a Hercules 3 stand. Currently aboard are the Rigel, the Crafter, and Stealie. So far I am impressed. It has great construction, and nicely adjustable to fit mandolins. A GC order online knocked off $20 with a coupon from list and offered free shipping to my door. I am once again reminded that you get what you pay for. I've probably thrown away at least half the cost of this stand already in stands that didn't last. I have a strong hunch that will not be the case with the Hercules.

The Epi is gone, and succeeded by a Dillion 335 style. It has a top-jack. FWIW, the straight plug stresses and loosens the nut less than the right angle plug does.

I love the Whirlwind Leader right angles for my acoustic board. They feed my Fishman AFX chorus and delay pedals to the FX loop of the Loudbox 100; I feed the amp using the XLR out of the Venue.
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; Jul-27-2018 at 8:57am.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I bought folding guitar stands--I forget which brand-- on sale for $5 each and cut them down to fit my mandolins. Easily done with a plumbers pipe cutter.
    Living’ in the Mitten

In terms of cables, after being frustrated with noisy and unreliable cables, I've settled on Planet Waves American Stage series. They use Neutrik plugs which have a different shape tip and heavy American cable. Assembled in USA. Hold up extremely well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	169706

(Quite literally. And universally so.)
    Last edited by Astro; Jul-28-2018 at 9:24am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I have four of the GS402BB stands ("Mini Electric or Bass guitar) which are perfect for my acoustic mandolins and my solid body Fender MandoStrat. Low center of gravity and compact (I can fit it in my satchel). It also accommodates my octave mando and bass guitar too. I use them at home, for gigging, at festivals, and set extras out for friends to use when we have jams at the house. But you would have to go with the 90deg 1/4" cable jack in order to work the clearance.

I know I sound like a poster child, but can't say enough good things about Hercules. It's so gratifying to find well designed gear that hold up over time. I know you're not inquiring about vocal mic stands, but just fyi I think the Hercules tilt-base "Transformer Mic Stand MS401B" are so awesome I got one for each of my band member's Bdays. Also very happy with their upright bass stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hercules.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	169735