Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap Question

Default Strap Question

I have a Kentucky KM 171 oval hole and am about to order a KM 272 oval hole. I think I remember reading that customarily you don't put straps on A oval holes. The reason being that a large part of the time players are playing classical, jazz, and blues and were sitting down and therefore didn't need a strap. I think that most ovals I've seen being played were being played sitting down. Comments.

Default Re: Strap Question

I have a strap on my A hole oval! It even came with buttons attached. I also like to use a strap when I play sitting down to support the instrument.

You buy the mandolin you put a strap, pick guard, arm rest, tone guard, or whatever you want on it. IMHO

I use a strap on my KM 171. Sitting or standing the strap offers some support. On all my instruments (guitars, banjos, mandos) I try to adjust the strap so the instrument is in the same position on me sitting or standing. It's got the same feel sitting or standing so I don't have to learn sitting or standing playing differences, which I'd have to. But yes, put what you want on it. Just make sure you play it...

Regards, Zig

I have straps on all my A-style mandolins except my bowlbacks (which aren't really A-style.) I don't want them inadvertently falling, and I think the strap helps prevent that.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I think I remember reading that customarily you don't put straps on A oval holes. The reason being that a large part of the time players are playing classical, jazz, and blues and were sitting down and therefore didn't need a strap. I think that most ovals I've seen being played were being played sitting down. Comments.
    Could you be thinking of bowlbacks instead of A-styles? Lots of people use straps on the latter, although there is some disagreement about whether it's better to attach them above the nut (as on my Gibson) or with a pin at the heel (like on my Black).
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

My usual answer to this sort of question is to ask - if everybody else in the world stuck their heads into a bucket of luke warm camel urine would you?

Care not what people customarily do and do whatever suits you.

I only play oval A's and have always used a strap. I also primarily played while seated unless I'm out busking. When seated the strap helps to take the weight of the mandolin so that I'm not trying to support the neck and play, something that for me would restrict the mobility of my right hand. Can I play without a strap? Sure. But my preference is always to use one. I do the same with my tenor banjo, which I also play seated.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    I use a strap on my KM 171. Sitting or standing the strap offers some support. On all my instruments (guitars, banjos, mandos) I try to adjust the strap so the instrument is in the same position on me sitting or standing. It's got the same feel sitting or standing so I don't have to learn sitting or standing playing differences, which I'd have to. But yes, put what you want on it. Just make sure you play it...

Regards, Zig
    Same for me, I think it's important to always have the mandolin in the same position for familiarity so playing sitting or standing there is no difference. I also agree with Jill, I usually sit, but when I do stand the mandolin is in the same position.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

If you absolutely know you'll never need the strap, don't worry about. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna be the case. Get a strap and if you don't need it, leave it off. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just talking about playing while sitting: If anything, an A-style is more slippery, and needs a strap even more, than an equivalent F-style, ya know, the kind that comes with leg-grabbing points as well as the built-in strap-hanger.

For me, virtually all mandolins benefit from a strap.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

13. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Blog Entries

Strap it

Buy a strap which will allow you to use the ''strap under'' method of attaching it - see pics. I uses a strap on all my mandolins to allow me to ''keep it where i want it''. I practice a lot sitting down,but without a strap,the darned critters still try to slide off !,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap (1).JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	164445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap 1 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	164446
    The first pic. is of a strap made in the UK by Pinegrove Leather,but you can make a strap similar to the one that i made (pic.2) from a strip of flat leather.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

My oval holes have all either come with strap buttons or I have fitted them. I just prefer the security a strap affords, even when sitting.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The only reason not to add a strap button to an instrument, if desired, is if that instrument is valued as collectible in it's original condition. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

A style wiggles and slips around too much not to use a strap. F style with points sticking out are made to rest on your legs - but folks use straps with those too.

Before donating the Rogue to a couple from Madagascar I tried tuning the bugger and it kept slipping and sliding everywhere, it would not set still. So told the people I gave it to they would have to fabricate a strap for it as I did not have a spare.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I have a Kentucky KM 171 oval hole and am about to order a KM 272 oval hole. I think I remember reading that customarily you don't put straps on A oval holes. The reason being that a large part of the time players are playing classical, jazz, and blues and were sitting down and therefore didn't need a strap.
    I haven't heard that.

I think that most ovals I've seen being played were being played sitting down.
    I prefer to play sitting own, and only stand to play under protest. That said it rarely correlates one way or the other with which mandolin I am playing.

And I go through phases of several years playing without a strap, to phases where I exclusively play with a strap. Again, having no correlation to the type of mandolin, except, of course, I have no straps for the bowlback.

Oval hole mandolins are often seen in old time jam sessions, or traditional Irish, or any of a number of traditional settings other than bluegrass. At least the jams I have seen.

F hole mandolins, because of a variety of discernible differences in sound, are prized in bluegrass, and very typical of that genre.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Both my oval holes have a strap button, and both have straps. I am of hte school of preferring a strap - I know there are those who refuse - that's fine by me. But the more time I'm focusing on my fingers and less on my upper arm and elbow, the better I play...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Could you be thinking of bowlbacks instead of A-styles? Lots of people use straps on the latter, although there is some disagreement about whether it's better to attach them above the nut (as on my Gibson) or with a pin at the heel (like on my Black).
    As a player that mostly uses bowlbacks or other non-archtop mandolins, I have never used a strap sitting, standing or strolling.

With one exception, at a Renn fair I will put on a thin old-style silk guitar "strap" - more like a little rope - to carry the mandolin on my back when not playing.

It seems everyone with archtop mandolins uses straps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    A style wiggles and slips around too much not to use a strap. .
    When I first started playing bowls I used that shelf matting material to keep things from moving around. It really works.

Now I use it all the time for mandolin, bowlback or no, when I play without a strap. Comes in all colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeitfan.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	164505  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Registered User Bigfoot Fingers's Avatar

Just wanted to say thanks to Ivan for the information he provides. I had a hard time finding a store bought strap that was long enough for my long torso so I looked up information on this site a couple of months ago and found a previous post of his that showed picture # 2 from above. This encouraged me to make my own strap and I copied the method he used to fashion the loop that goes around the neck. I probably would have just used a granny knot (no disrespect to grannys) to secure the loop as I was skeptical the knot pictured would hold but I tried it Ivan's way as it looked better. I was pleasantly surprised. The knot is simple, elegant, and secure and I have a nice looking, perfectly fitting strap that was cheap to make.
    Last edited by Bigfoot Fingers; Jan-30-2018 at 2:41pm. Reason: thought it would go under Ivan's reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Buy a strap which will allow you to use the ''strap under'' method of attaching it - see pics. I uses a strap on all my mandolins to allow me to ''keep it where i want it''. I practice a lot sitting down,but without a strap,the darned critters still try to slide off !,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap (1).JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	164445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap 1 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	164446
    The first pic. is of a strap made in the UK by Pinegrove Leather,but you can make a strap similar to the one that i made (pic.2) from a strip of flat leather.
    A bit of shameless promotion (delete this if it violates MC law). Check out El Dorado’s mandolin straps. The front loop works with F-style scrolls, A-style pegheads, and A-style raised fingerboards. I have them on my Collings MT and MTO.

Some of the older fellers that play have these handsome leather straps on their guitars, base, and mandolins and I have a cheap $12 strap on mine. Was looking around to find a decent strap, and found that Bailey makes some straps were far more attractive, at the $65+ range. They even made paracord straps. However you need to know your strap size and how you will attach to the mandolin.

Whilst browsing straps another idea came to me last night, seems like no one makes them. The idea is a Musician's Survivalist Strap, one that has (replaceable) extra strings slid up inside.
    Ya never know when you'll break a string, and you better pray you have an extra set in your case, or your buddy does. But what happens if you left your case in another room & you are about to go on, or maybe you just grabbed your case for a quick evening jam and *plink* goes a string. If ya don't have spares what are ya gonna do?
    Well, if someone could devise a strap that can carry extra strings inside of it, and looked good, you could probably sell it for more than $65 and have an extra advantage of Musician's Survivability added too. With strings in the strap you'd always have a spare set when you needed it ... where-ever your life's adventure would be at the moment.

That would be a good strap to have!
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

+1 for El Dorado straps (NFI). I have them on 2 mandolins and one on a guitar. Pricey but not outrageous. The ones I have have a tooled design and look awesome.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I make all my own straps, each instrument has one and there are strings and tuner in each case.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!