Thread: Shuffleboard surface test and fix HELP!

Default Shuffleboard surface test and fix HELP!

I have a shuffleboard table. The manufacture says its a lacquer finish. A small crush mark appeared on it like a puck was dropped and the finish is pushed down a bit and looks like its whitish in color. Is there a test to see if its really lacquer and is there a fix. Its a small round spot only about 1/4 inch. Thanks Ron

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Shuffleboard surface test and fix HELP!

Does it inhibit the puck movement at all? If not I'd tend to leave it alone. Just like wear marks on mandolins, it might just add some mojo. Describe the table as "distressed".
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Does it inhibit the puck movement at all? If not I'd tend to leave it alone. Just like wear marks on mandolins, it might just add some mojo. Describe the table as "distressed".
    Doesn't inhibit movement at all. Maybe just leave it. Thanks Ron

You can steam it out somewhat with a damp rag and a soldering iron. Don't keep the iron on long, but make passes only in the dented area and keep moving the damp rag with each pass of the iron. I have done this many times on guitars without damaging the lacquer and was able to raise the dent almost back to level. May want to practice on something else first.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Excuse me I thought I was on the Mandolin Cafe.

This is an entirely reasonable topic for this subforum, very similar things happen to our lacquer-finished instruments all the time.
    Here's another easy-ish fix, if it won't steam out or if you are concerned that in steaming it out you might cause a bigger mess to clean up (which is a valid concern if you're doing it for the first time).
    You can drop-fill with thin CA glue until the spot is filled, then scrape with a razor blade or card scraper until basically level. Then sand flush with 600+ grit, work up to 3500 grit or so, and then polish with liquid compounds. Probably 15 minutes of work for a pro, no more than an hour if you're doing it first time. The trick is to make sure you don't scrape into the surrounding finish, or sand through it. I usually mask off an area the size of a postage stamp or so for a job like this to avoid damaging the surrounding surface.

Thanks all great info. Might just leave. Ron

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've had a surprising amount of success on small dents by covering with a drop of water and leaving for ~30 minutes or so. No heat.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I didn't mean anything by previous post, I should have put a smiley face. If I'm not interested I a thread I usually just don't open it. I did this time out of curiosity and thought I would make a funny, sorry if it offended anyone.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post: