Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Hard Case?

Blog Entries

Default Re: UK Hard Case?

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Pegasus fiberglass cases are made in Scotland. great , rugged checked luggage level . strong..
    Expensive...... I suspect somewhat out of budget in this case (ouch!).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus B View Post
    Thanks OneChord - I didn't think to check Hobgoblin for some reason.

Ray - I have an Eastman 305. I'm happy to spend up to or around £100, but would prefer around £50-70.
    If you want to measure your widest part on the Eastman and any other parts you reckon I’ll measure up their equivalent in the Goldengate/gator case Ivan mentions that Hobgoblin sell.

They do the job for most normal situations. I use mine for the KM150 since 2010. I’ve put some straps on it.
    They’re nothing special, just a fibreglass shell with a foam insert stuck in. But they’re very popular and cope with my trips to jams or on the trains & rail replacement busses. Not too heavy or bulky either. My Hiscox is a bit of a beast but that’s a different league for looking after the expensive mandolin. If I know I’ll be walking alot like at festivals, with it I swap to the golden gate, definitely looking to those new Northfields from Germany if they hit a reasonable price for that role.

Anyway those cases in I’vans post 11 are good options in the low price bracket. Happy to check the internal dimensions for you.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

3. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Eoin - The 'Gator' style moulded ABS cases are fine,but my Weber "Fern" is a fairly tight fit ( i'm pleased that it's not a 'loose fit'). A mandolin with a much wider body might struggle,unless the internal padding is crushed to the point where it's no longer 'padding' & protecting. That's one reason why the new Northfield cases look good to me - roomy internally, without the bulk of the Hiscox cases (one of which i used to own),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    What mandolin are we talking about? Someone mentioned vintage Gibson A?
    Certanly Schuster can customize the padding but I believe he is not good at english so perhaps he can ask Prucha if he can get one made for short-necked A...
    If you read back in this thread, you'll discover that Seamus has an Eastman. I don't have an Eastman but my previous investigations have revealed that they have the same, or very similar, body size to old Gibson As - of which I have two.

I had much same problem whilst looking for a modern case for these and, eventually, settled on the Eastman case for the occasions I take one of them out of the house (I normally play a Kimble which lives in a custom Calton). Over the years I have acquired quite a collection of mandolins and a similar variety of cases. As such I can confirm that old Gibson and modern Eastman mandolins don't fit in the cases I have which were made by, or for, TKL, Breedlove, Ameritage or Schuster. The only other case they will fit in is the unbranded ones sold to accommodate Fylde Touchstones.

Shuster cases are fine but, looking at their website, I don't envy anyone, who doesn't speak Czech, trying to order a custom case from them.

Blog Entries

A Hiscox ProII should work quite well. They are UK made, very sturdy and, being rectangular, roomy too.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Assuming Seamus can read Czech and manage to order one, he can then send it back 'cos his mandolin won't fit in it - been there, done that, tried the mandolin for size!
    As it happens, I go to Prague regularly (in fact, I was just there a couple of weeks ago!). I think I might call in and see what I think when I go over in the summer.
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

I'm also in the market for a sturdier case than my Eastman Md315 came with available in the EU. I'd like to get one that will adhere to the cabin luggage which is 100cm x 30cm x30cm. This discounts the Gator Molded case.

From Ray - " I don't envy anyone, who doesn't speak Czech, trying to order a custom case from them." Exactly why i haven't tried to order one from them. Lebeda mandolins used to come in a Schuster case marketed by Streicholtz Schachtel Music in Germany, under their name ''Matchbox''. I tried several times to contact them without any success,hence my enthusiasm for the new Northfield cases,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchbox Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	164550
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Ray - " I don't envy anyone, who doesn't speak Czech, trying to order a custom case from them." Exactly why i haven't tried to order one from them. Lebeda mandolins used to come in a Schuster case marketed by Streicholtz Schachtel Music in Germany, under their name ''Matchbox''. I tried several times to contact them without any success,hence my enthusiasm for the new Northfield cases,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchbox Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	164550
    That's why I suggested trying it through Prucha... He has been in business with US customers for long time a I believe he responds potential customers really well....
    He is reseller of the Schuster cases (usually branded with Prucha logo).
    But if OP has an Eastman then the Eastman case would be easiest possibility.
    Adrian

I speak some Czech and would certainly be able to have a discussion about this when I visit Prague. I will report back on what I find out, and if I find a suitable case!

Sorry to bounce the thread but, I contacted a shop selling the TKL Prestige Arch-Top case, and enquired as to whether it would take my 305. Here is the case:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case

Here is the response:
    "Thank you for your email inquiry about the TKL Case and if it'll work for the Eastman MD305. Per the specs of the two, it should fit without too much of an issue, but likely will be a very tight fit. To help explain this, here are the Dimensions between the unit and the case.

MD305 - 26 11/16" x 10" x 1 7/8"
    TKL - 27.5" x 10" x 3.5"

What do folks think? Will this work?

Blog Entries

The only way to know for sure is to try.....I'd find someone who has both and check. There can be sample variation in cases, too.... I certainly would not special order one without knowing for certain.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Hi Seamus - From the dimensions that you give,it seems as though the TKL will work. The 10" dimension,presumably the width,isn't absolutely 'critical,as the inner padding will compress.

I just got out the case that my Ellis "A" style was shipped up in - it's similar to the TKL,but it simply states ''Made in Canada'' on the compartment tag inside. My Ellis was a bit of a loose fit inside it,so its now in a Travelite case,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks to everybody for the info here - I'm in the process of searching for a low coast hard case. One that I have just come across is this one from Germany https://www.musik-steinbach.de/Zupfi...l#.WoWoDracZGE - also available on ebay (though more expensive there! It has detailed dimensions so you can see if your instrument would fit. And Germans isn't as hard as Czech - at least for me!

If you’re in the UK it’s worth a look at Hobgoblin as well. I bought a supposedly used case from them for £30. Apart from some dust it was as new

Was that the London branch??

Not sure where it came from as I bought it online.

Thanks folks, most appreciated advice. I think I will ask them to confirm for sure that it will take my instrument.

OneChord - I check in to Hobgoblin regularly (Birmingham, London and Manchester branches mainly) but I haven't seen anything in my price range that has the size to take my Eastman.

Hi Seamus - What's your price range ?. 'Whatever' it is,if you can't find a case at the price you want,you'll just have to save up some more cash. There are cases available to suit your mandolin,& maybe you'll have to do what the rest of us have done - shell out for one,it's as brutal as that ,especially in the UK / EU.

I just measured my Ellis & the length / width are L = 26 3/4" & W = 10" respectively. It fits the TKL "A" style case that it came up in ''loosely''. Width wise - the inner padding will compress to an extent,so that shouldn't be a problem. As for depth,it would be unusual to find a case that was too shallow - in 13 years,i've never seen one.

If you can't afford the case you'd like right now,save up & buy it - don't scrimp on a good case,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

HI Ivan - £80-100 is what I was thinking so the TKL would be perfect. I think it is going to be fine and I can see that the padding makes a difference here. If it is super-thick I could consider shaving away at it to help the mandolin get into it (as long as it did not make it vulnerable. It is only for bringing to lessons and sessions, and not going on a flight or anything like that.

At the moment I transport it in a soft case, which is far from ideal.

22. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have a TKL Prestige that my Old Wave A4 lives in when not being played. Your’re welcome to try your Eastman in it if you’re up my way.

24. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Hey Richard - I am in no rush so would be happy to give it a try for fit. Thanks!

Mentioned earlier, here..
    These are , apparently, shipping world wide , out of HK, maybe a dealer in UK?... http://www.musiccompo.com/index.php?route=common/home
    In Carbon Fiber..

I have found a preference for the Rubber gasket edges that is part of the Fiberglass cases ,
    in a Wet Climate ..Oregon Coast in my 'case' ..

My David Hodson D'Jangolin came From UK with a hard Thermoplastic case , in a red metalflake..

Got a used A5 specific Eastman fiberglass case .. It has 3 D rings for backpack straps , so
    it too goes out in any weather , me on my Push-bike..

I use the underside of the lid, inside, for storage, that overcomes the oft mentioned lack of storage..

It is a simple solution a bag from around a pint sized whiskey bottle is good for those spare strings..

Last edited by mandroid; Feb-16-2018 at 2:03pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Seamus - The padding in most cases will compress quite a bit, & none that i've seen have 'super thick' padding. Richard made you a good offer,so at least you'll get an idea regarding how your mandolin will fit inside a case similar to the one you're thinking of buying,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Hi Seamus... drop me a line when it might be convenient for you. Best wishes, Richard