Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Hard Case?

Default UK Hard Case?

Looking on Eagle Music I can see quite a few different hard cases for A-style mandolins. There is a lot of variance in price, and I wondered if there is a good, dependable, hard-wearing case that the UK folks on here could recommend?

Default Re: UK Hard Case?

I've got an Ashbury case from Hobgoblin, I only picked it up last week and it hasn't left the house so I can't comment on it's robustness but it looks pretty sturdy. Doubt that I'd trust it to an airline baggage handler but think it would do the job if you're putting it in and out of cars, trains etc. or as hand luggage.

EDIT Please let me know if pictures etc. would help

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Can you give us an idea of the make/model of mandolin you have? "A" style mandolins aren't all the same and some won't fit in all cases; e.g. Old Gibsons and Eastmans have slightly larger bodies. The only sure answer is to try one and see but, if you can be more specific, someone may be able to advise. It might also help if we knew your budget.

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Thanks OneChord - I didn't think to check Hobgoblin for some reason.

Ray - I have an Eastman 305. I'm happy to spend up to or around £100, but would prefer around £50-70.

It fits both my Hathway (which is smaller than average and needs padding) and my Ozark snugly. If you want an idea of size probably the best bet is to compare yours the dimensions of the Ashbury S model which comes with a similar case. It's dimensions are:

Max body depth: 52mm
    Body width: 267mm
    No Frets: 19
    Overall body length: 620mm

Happy to measure if you need.

You'll need a slightly larger case then - the Eastmans are slightly wider in the body than most modern As. I keep my '24 Snakehead in an Eastman fibreglass case which would fit your's nicely. The downside is that they don't have room to store anything else and they're over your budget. I'm sure Eastman do a cheaper version of some sort. It won't fit in an TKL rectangular case so probably not one of the TKL shaped ones either. How about one of the foam filled fabric ones - something with a bit of give on the inside. Before Ivan chips in - you can't get the Travellite ones in the UK.

9. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

You could tray the Hobgoblin 'Gator' style case. My weber "F" style is housed in a Gator case 'proper',but an "A" style will fit ok. Or - you could have a look at one of these,sold by Gear4music in Yorkshire- an SKB "A" style case,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKB A style case.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	164411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKB case.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	164412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	164413
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

You sure Ivan? Those look like cases for "modern" sized As. Eastman As are slightly wider in the body than those - I'm convinced that they are modelled on the vintage Gibson sizes - and cases with relatively solid innards won't stretch to fit them.

Neither of my vintage Gibson As will fit my rectangular TKL (which is going begging and "as-new"). Neither will they fit the eastern European case my Holoubek came in; I think it's a Schuster. The only other hard case I know they'll fit is in one which came with a Fylde Touchstone but that's not much use to Seamus - unless he wants a Fylde as well!

13. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Hi Ivan, what's your opinion of those Gator cases? I've been looking at them for a while but not encountered one in the flesh.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

I had trouble getting a case for my Eastman MD504...tried the lightweight Gator case which didn't fit it. Also asked some suppliers about the TKL before buying and they confirmed that the Eastman wouldn't fit. I don't know about the hard shell Gator or SKB cases above, but might be worth a try.

I contacted Jimmy Moon Guitars in regards to getting an Eastman Fibreglass and it arrived this week. Fits the Eastman mandolin perfectly, and luckily fits my recently acquired (new to me) mandolin. Only downside is there isn't space for anything else in it. That isn't much of a problem for me though, and I wanted something I could carry on my back. Really nicely built but they're beyond your budget. I think Moon Guitars might have some left for sale, they posted a few on their Facebook page.

http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/index.php/news/ea/

17. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... Eastman makes a case ... I bought one on this side of the pond no problem. It fits my old Gibson just fine too. The only problem with the case is lack of a storage pocket. See if Trevor Moyle has one at his store. R/

http://www.mandolin.org.uk/interviews/moyle1.php
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thanks all for your help! Ray was absolutely tight - I do need a slightly larger case. I am prepared to raise my budget for a fibreglass Eastman case as they look awesome.

I have contacted Jimmy at Moon Guitars (thanks Kalasinar!) to see if he has any in stock.

EDIT: I would like to edit this to also point out how nice it is to see so many UK-based mandolin players on here!

20. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

The fibreglass Eastman cases are OK but, as I and others have pointed out, there's no room to store anything else inside. One might take some finding; mine came from the late Music Room in Cleckheaton and your local shop Sheehans is also no longer.

Darren - I bought a Gator case for a parlour guitar a couple of years ago (Amazon). Basic workmanlike case but it doesn't fit my particular parlour that well. Perferct shape but wrong neck angle - i.e. when the body is flat in the case there's a gap between the neck and the furthest support. When the neck rests on both supports, there's a gap below the body. Quite what happens when the lid is closed, I've no idea, but it protects the guitar better than the gig-bag it was supplied in.

Hi Ray - My 'Gator' case - a real one,not the Hobgoblin ''look alike'',houses my Weber "Fern" perfectly. I tried my Ellis "A" style in it,which is what you seem to call a 'modern mandolin' (aren't Eastmans's modern ?) & it's a loose fit,so maybe big enough for an Eastman. That's why it's housed in my Travelite case,a case which seems to fit every mandolin that ever been placed inside it perfectly.

Darren - I chose the Gator case simply because the Travelite cases aren't available in the UK. I bought it 'sight unseen' from Gear4music in Yorkshire - around £70 UK,& my Weber,which i assume is a standard sized mandolin, fits like a glove. Like any other case,used carefully,they're a very good case indeed & have a decent sized pocket for bits & pieces. I chose to store my spare strings in the headstock area - there's room for 2 set of strings.The pocket houses my wire cutters,string winder & Polytune tuner.

Having seen the new Northfield 'Airloom' case on here,maybe an e-mail to Northfield would let you know if you could buy one direct from the German manufacturer - Jakob Winter :- https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=1#post1627336,
    Ivan
    PS - I travelled to Eagle Music UK to look at an Eastman 'shaped' F style case, & found that although they do look good,the case was flimsy in construction & with no room at all inside it for 'strings 'n things'. I pressed the top to see how much it flexed,& honestly,any harder & i'd have cracked it !.

Name:	Eastman Fibreglass Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	164447
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

23. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

All of my mandolins are larger than “standard” but all will fit into Hiscox cases, of which I have two. Bulkier than most cases for sure but at least excellent protection. I doubt my Taran Springwell would fit into anything else except perhaps a Travelite.

25. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Turns out the Eastman in black is sold out on Moon Guitars.

Interesting to see mention of Sheehan's in Leicester which is where I got my first crappy mandolin set-up and bought a strap many moons ago. It's such a shame that these places are closing down because they were so helpful to me back in the day.

I'm not sure what case to get now, but will persevere with my softbag until something good comes up that will take an A Eastman.

Forsythe's in Manchester sell Eastman mandolins and perhaps they could get a case for you. As far as I'm aware, they also sell Hiscox cases so they should be able to tell you how good a fit one is for an Eastman. What you don't really want is a badly fitting case. (I brought my Kimble A home in a TKL "F" style case and it didn't fit particularly well so I had Keith Calton build me one - he no longer builds them.) Trevor (at TAMCO) sells Eastman mandolins but, along with strings and other accessories, he tends not to sell separate cases - you could ask, he can always say no.

I'm sure Gator cases are fine but you really need to try your mandolin in one to see how well it fits.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Pegasus fiberglass cases are made in Scotland. great , rugged checked luggage level . strong..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

30. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Thanks guys - and Ray I think contacting a shop that sells Eastman mandolins is the best way to go. Thanks. I will check in when I get one!

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Pegasus fiberglass cases are made in Scotland. great , rugged checked luggage level . strong..
    Probably my choice now Calton has transferred production to the US but you missed off .... "and several times the price that Seamus is looking to spend".

you can change mandolins inside them over time..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Read my new thread regarding the ''possibility'' of the new Northfield 'Airloom' cases being available in the EU. Worth waiting for i think !!,
    Ivan

Name:	Northfield Airloom cases.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	164503
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

I would consider getting Prucha-Schuster ABS case. Well made and strong and good price IMO. Ad within EU
    Adrian

Assuming Seamus can read Czech and manage to order one, he can then send it back 'cos his mandolin won't fit in it - been there, done that, tried the mandolin for size!

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Assuming Seamus can read Czech and manage to order one, he can then send it back 'cos his mandolin won't fit in it - been there, done that, tried the mandolin for size!
    What mandolin are we talking about? Someone mentioned vintage Gibson A?
    Certanly Schuster can customize the padding but I believe he is not good at english so perhaps he can ask Prucha if he can get one made for short-necked A...
    Adrian